Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

PMDG FSExpo Announcement

3 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Anyone already mentioned a Helicopter? This would be something new, and 10 years for a PMDG level helo could be fitting, or not? 

Something like a Eurocopter. 

I don't want to beat the air, I want to sail through it...

• Like 1

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Boomer said:

I don't want to beat the air, I want to sail through it...

We have so much equipment for sailing lovely thru the air. Why not something more ...brutal xD

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

I will add my 2 cents........

Shared Cockpit has already been mentioned in this thread, but I do remember a discussion on the AVSIM PMDG forum a few years ago about shared cockpit capability with PMDG A/C.

There are already other sim aircraft and software that support shared cockpit today. Some of you may already be doing this now. And the conclusion few years back, as I recall, is that PMDG was not planning on doing this feature because of technical limitations.

Now moving forward in time, I personally think one of the big issues at that time is the 32-bit limitation of FSX and P3D simulators due to VAS, and secondly, the challenge of managing the increased data flow over the Internet between the virtual pilot on one PC, and the virtual co-pilot on another PC, both in different worldwide locations. Now that P3D is 64-bit, this one issue, in my opinion, appears to no longer be a limiting factor. However, I am not sure about issues associated with the transmission of much larger quantities of data being sent over the Internet and if they could be solved easily?

Ideally, if PMDG chose this project, given their tradition for realism and accuracy, they would not only want to transmit all the positions, or status, of all the switches, knobs, flight controls, geographic A/C information, plus FMC data entries over the network, but PMDG would want to insure that all the critical systems they model on the aircraft, would remain in sync between the two virtual aircraft. By this, I mean the electrical, hydraulic, fuel, pneumatic, IRS systems, as just a few examples, would have to communicate and manage their proper states in both virtual A/C. The two virtual aircraft copies on each PC, would have to be tightly linked together, as in the real A/C. I think a project like this could be pretty daunting, and given PMDG’s track record of maintaining as close to 100% accuracy to the real world as possible, it could take a considerable effort to make this development work, which is why it could possibly take 10 years?

Again, I would presume this shared cockpit philosophy and code written would be applied to the whole family of PMDG aircraft (777, 747, 737, plus future a/c like the 787), which means the code base would have to be developed in a unique way so each different aircraft would use a common data handling structure to minimize the resources needed to develop such a concept.

I really hope that this is the project being considered, as it would really be cool to fly in a PMDG shared cockpit environment!

Bill Clark

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Don' want a shared cockpit...it's only going to remind me how few friends I have...sob....

• Upvote 3

spacer.png

Personally I loved to see a shared cockpit feature implemented, it would make the simulator experience more realistic. The FCOM can be followed to a tee, briefings can actually be briefings and not just taking to yourself, discusses on weather and what to do can happen, etc.

Training can also be a thing. A novice pilot who just picked up a PMDG aircraft can take on the role of first officer alongside an experienced pilot. I can see a lot of Virtual Airlines using this.

Although there is one thing that would upset me about shared cockpit: I don’t have any friends who are aviation enthusiasts...although joining a VA could solve this problem.

I would be happy to fly with Boomer or you too High Flier! If this ever happenes, I would hope PMDG would provide guidelines so whoever you fly with, if it be pilot flying, or pilot not flying, there would be clear responsibilities. If PMDG has been working for 10 years on this project, it would have to be something really major, and this would be major in my opinion.

BTW HighFlyer, I met you at the last AVSIM meeting in Wichita a few years ago. I was hanging out with Maury P. and you were giving us your vision of Virtual Reality when we sat for an hour or two in a meeting room somewhere. Are you going to the Las Vegas event in June?.

Bill Clark

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

3 hours ago, sbclark said:

I would be happy to fly with Boomer or you too High Flier! If this ever happenes, I would hope PMDG would provide guidelines so whoever you fly with, if it be pilot flying, or pilot not flying, there would be clear responsibilities. If PMDG has been working for 10 years on this project, it would have to be something really major, and this would be major in my opinion.

BTW HighFlyer, I met you at the last AVSIM meeting in Wichita a few years ago. I was hanging out with Maury P. and you were giving us your vision of Virtual Reality when we sat for an hour or two in a meeting room somewhere. Are you going to the Las Vegas event in June?.

Bill Clark

Must be a different HighFlier, I never went to an AVSIM meeting in Wichita.

Although if PMDG did release a shared cockpit I’d still be happy to take you up on that offer to fly together.

5 hours ago, sbclark said:

Bill Clark

I think your thinking of HiFlyer (Devon)

https://www.avsim.com/profile/262009-hiflyer/

Sean Campbell 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 4/21/2018 at 5:13 PM, sbclark said:

really hope that this is the project being considered, as it would really be cool to fly in a PMDG shared cockpit environment!

Me too.  It is a cavernous hole waiting to be filled

Although, they did say it was a new product line....so unless the connectivity is a separately sold module....

• Upvote 1

Apply some logic chaps...

If they're going to the expense and hassle of a big launch at a show then it's something they hope to make a lot of money from so it has to be a premium product with a big potential market.

The above rules out of a lot of things like gizmos for existing aircraft for which they couldn't charge much and requires an already expensive product to have been purchased (so that automatically limits the size of the market to being much smaller than the existing customer base!). Charging for gizmos has never been "the "PMDG way" anyway. So it's not a lot of the things in this thread like ACARS, Wx related, shared cockpits etc

So, it's a significant money making product which has the ability to attract new customers to PMDG and is probably standalone (i.e. doesn't require time and money to be spent adapting existing products for which there would be no additional revenue). That also rules out a new simulator which would make existing product versions obsolete - who is going to buy a third 777 for "FSRSR" having already bought FSX and P3D???? 

So what does that leave? A new and unexpected premium product line that took a lot of development and has a big market. A plane (that's what PMDG are expert at) that probably isn't a modern Boeing and a very wide fanbase.

<cough>A380</cough>

• Upvote 1

Bill Casey

wpigeon.jpg

11 minutes ago, BillC said:

A new and unexpected premium product line that took a lot of development and has a big market. A plane (that's what PMDG are expert at) that probably isn't a modern Boeing and a very wide fanbase.

<cough>A380</cough>

Well, that would be pretty awesome - and YUGE

Bound to put a few noses out of joint in the simmy world though.  As there aren't many other aircraft left to do in the Boeing range other than the 787, the  Airbus product line would make long term sense

44 minutes ago, BillC said:

who is going to buy a third 777 for "FSRSR" having already bought FSX and P3D???? 

Kinda depends on what "FSRSR" (<-- great name, BTW!) has to offer :biggrin:

But I agree with your points, although I'm not to quickly to attach myself to the idea of it being another airplane-series.

We'll see...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

somehow I doubt PMDG would receive that amount of material about the latest products from Airbus/EADS after having created a flight sim imperium with Boeing aircraft. 

and IF then I really doubts it's an A380. I mean... you can land it at the big hub airports.. most 380s actually fly for a small amount of airlines on a relatively small amount of real routes... If it was a new Airbus, I would guess a 350.. or if not new then a 330 and 340. the 320 series is covered by FSL and hardly to beat. 

what I personally would love to see after they own a Douglas and have made a Douglas... the Douglas line. DC3, 4, 8, 9... oh hello MD-11 (kidding).. but I doubt they would sell that successfully. So... rather not :/

With the demise of Flight Sim World I am starting to believe that a new flight simulator is what will be announced.

Michael Jones

• Like 1

Michael A. Jones

signature-light.png