Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak959

Newbee needs help getting started

Recently purchased the X-Plane version GTN 750 and GTN 650. (Am running X-Plane 11.11 64-bits on Windows 10.)  For starters, would like to integrate the 750/650 combo into my Alabeo Mooney M20R Ovation.  The RXP GTN 750/650 Touch User’s Manual for X-Plane says: “Select the menu Plugins | Reality XP GTN to add or remove a GTN unit to your aircraft.” 

After loading the M20R Ovation, my drop down menu will read:  Plugins | Reality XP GTN > GTN1 > GTN failed to open simulation  and  Plugins | Reality XP GTN > GTN2 > GTN failed to open simulation.

In the phrase “GTN failed to open simulation”, what simulation is being referred to?

Is there somewhere a beginner’s guide with the basics of how to integrate the GTN750/650 units?  I am a bit lost as to how to proceed.  Hoping I didn’t spend $100 for something that is over-my-head to install.  (Am not a newbee to computers.  Am a retired computer programmer; worked with computers virtually my entire working life.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  (P.S.:  Wanted to attach image to this post, but couldn't see any attachment method.)

Hi,

There's plenty to enjoy with those instruments. There are just a few things you have to do and understand before getting the most out of them.

You should have been prompted to download and install the Garmin trainer for the GTN units. The plugin is based on that trainer and thus it's required to run properly. Your " failed to open simulation" message let me think the plugin can't find the trainer.
Could you confirm you can run the Trainer independently? (Start -> Garmin Aviation Trainers)

Also, it might be useful to attach your log files to get the best support from RealityXP. Check your manual, Troubleshooting section (at the end).

About integration : 2D windows popups will always work.
3D instruments in the virtual cockpits require specific development, whether provided by the aircraft developer or included in a dedicated mod.
You can also use the GTN 3D screens on existing instruments (like a GNS 530, or even a G1000), but it won't look that convincing - in that case it's just a matter of configuring the dynamic texture coordinates as detailed in the manual.

Afaik the Alabeo Mooney M20R Ovation does not offer a GTN 3D integration (or a compatible mod).
The AFM Mooney M20R Ovation III does have a GTN 750+650 full 3D integration.

A few recent aircraft also offer fully compatible virtual cockpits.

(to attach screenshots in the forum you can just paste the link or use the BBCode - I think the additional options are locked until you have posted several messages)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Upvote 2

Bourrinopathe,

Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, I have run the Trainer.  Only looked at it briefly because I thought it was a tutorial for using the 750, not a tutorial on how to integrate it into an aircraft.  I will look at the Trainer more closely.

My X-Plane is installed on my secondary hard drive (I call it “M:”).  So, my X-Plane is installed in M:\X-Plane folder.  When installing the RealityXP GTN 750 & 650, it wanted to install on the C: drive.  I tried to redirect installation to M: drive, and did copy some files from C: drive to M: drive.  So, as you say, the plugin probably can’t find the trainer.  Do you know where the Trainer should be placed so the plugin can see it?

As for the Alabeo Mooney M20R Ovation, I believe it is GTN 750 compatible.  Under the “Features” section it shows “RealityXP GTN750 compatible”.  The file directory of the plane also has a folder named “Backup config file for PXP GTN 750” that contains a “RealityXP.GTN.ini” file.  I replaced the original .ini file with this 750 version.  Now I have a Mooney with a darkened 750 in the dash panel, with no way to power it up.  I swapped back the original .ini file...but the darkened 750 remains, even after stopping/restarting X-Plane and after shutting down/restarting my PC.  So, I have managed to mess up that aircraft!  Not sure what to do now.  Would like your opinion on how I should have installed the RealityXP software given that my X-Plane is on the M: drive, not the C: drive.  I will work through the Trainer to see what I can learn.

Sorry, I wanted to attach info on the Mooney and attach a Log.txt file, but can see no way to attach anything to this reply.

Again, thank you very much for your help.  Any further comments will be much appreciated.  Have a great day, and happy flying!

I have reinstalled the GTN750 & GTN650, and believe I have everything in the correct folders.  The plugin in X-Plane is now operating correctly, with both the 650 and 750 listed.

Now my question is:  How do I replace a gauge (e.g., G530) with a GTN gauge (e.g., GTN750)?  I am confused between the role of the two manuals:  the Reality XP GTN Touch XPlane.pdf and the Garmin Aviation Trainers.

The Garmin Aviation Trainers shows the “+” sign under the Navigators group.  When I click it, I get a message: “No navigator avionics packages are installed on your computer.”

But I have purchased and installed both, the GTN750 and GTN650, as evidenced on the X-Plane Plugins menu, where both the 750 and 650 are listed.  Could someone please explain the role of these two manuals.  Appears to me that the Reality XP GTN Touch XPlane.pdf is used to install the 750 and/or 650 into an aircraft.  After that is done, the Garmin Aviation Trainer is used to select that aircraft to train with that aircraft’s 750/650.  Is that correct?

Could someone please step through the process of replacing an instrument with a new 750 or 650?  Using the Cessna 172SP as an example, how would you replace the G530 with the GTN750, and the G430 with the GTN650?  I have searched the internet, including YouTube, for some tutorials, but have found none.  (It appears that Plane Maker and other utilities may need to be used.  Didn't know that when I purchased 750/650.  Thought replacing instruments would be simple.)  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.  (Sorry, would like to attach Log.txt and images to show what I am saying, but can find no way in this posting mechanism to attach attachments.)

Best regards,

My saga continues...  I must apologize and take back many of my earlier comments.  I have reinstalled my GTN750 and GTN650.  Noticed that I had mistakenly chosen to install TXi instead of the GTN.  I now have a GTN 750 appearing in the Navigators section of the Garmin Aviation Trainers.  And, the X-Plane Plugins > Reality XP GTN > GYN 1 (& GTN 2) are listing the 600- and 700- series of devices, as desired.

I will now continue my studies—on the right track.  I would still appreciate any help and guidance offered as I try to learn to integrate these fine devices into my planes.

Thank you very much for all considerations.

Best regards.

Good to know the Alabeo Mooney M20R has been updated to support the GTN! Thanks for the info!
Is there a screenshot of the cockpit with the GTN unit? I couldn't find one on their website.

It's also good to read you've fixed your issues and that you can now use the GTN comfortably.

About configuring a GTN display on a GNS unit: you can follow the tutorial from the GNS manual as it's a similar process.
Just keep in mind the GTN screen does not have the same proportions/resolution than a GNS display and thus won't look realistic.

----

If you're interested in using a GTN 750 and a 650 with the default 172, I shared a mod with that configuration.
There's no complex installation process as the archive contains the modified C172 (shared with permission from Laminar Research).

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Bourrinopathe,

Thank you so much for your patience and support—much appreciated.

My problem is not in “using” the GTN products, but in “installing” or how to put them into an aircraft to replace another unit.

Been experimenting with replacing the 530, in a (default Laminar) Cessna 172SP, with the GTN750. Been experimenting, trying to learn.  But will certainly check out your mod with the 750/650.  Thank you for that.

Been able to: (1) Select the 750 from the Plugins menu; (2) set settings for the new GTN750, (3) overlay the GTN750 over the 530 (that is how you “replace” a unit, just cover it up. Correct?), adjusting the size of the GTN750 to “fit”.  But now my problem is:  How do I “attach” the new GTN750 to the instrument panel?  I cannot see any info in the manual for that.  After it is “attached”, I would assume it then becomes part of the instrument panel, and will scale when ever the panel is zoomed. Correct?

I would gladly furnish you with a screenshot of the Mooney w/GTN750, but there is not an icon on this reply form that allows me to attach anything—most frustrating!  Only problem I am having with the 750 in the Mooney (and a Centurion II, also) is:  How do I control the CDI source with the 530 having been replaced?

Again, thank you so much for your help!  Really enjoy flying with the GTN750 and GTN650.  Have purchased aircraft with them already installed, and really love flying them!  Great products!  Just wish I understood more on how to integrate them into my existing aircraft.

Have a great day—happy flying!

Best regards.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I've forgotten about this thread.

There are 2 different ways to render the GTN device: in a popup window and in the 3D cockpit.

The popup window is what you get by default, you mouse-resize/mouse-reposition the window. It can turn into a popout window (detached from the sim main window - see popout menu entry), and automatically converts to VR window when appropriate.

The 3D cockpit render is manually setup and adjusted in the RealityXP.GTN.ini file in the aircraft folder. X-Plane has no concept of 'gauge' that you actually put in a cockpit, instead, the plugin 'renders' (that is it paints the GPS image) directly in 3D onto a surface which is pre-designed for rendering dynamic textures in the 3D cockpit (aka panel.png). This is only possible to do when modelling the aircraft with a 3D program, it is baked into the model. When such surface exists, the GTN plugin can render onto it, within rectangular bounds as set in the frame.rect= parameter of the GTN ini file.

You might want to review this tutorial:

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)