Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

P3D getting stuck on the splash screen, at 6% terrain data

Hello,

I've been away from my sims for a month or two, and yesterday when I tried lauching P3D, it would get stuck on the initial loading screen before the scenario menu appears., and it always gets stuck at 6% when loading terrain data. I'm on Windows 10 Home. 

0a26l4A.jpg

So far I've tried the following :

I thought it had something to do with scenery files so I deleted the scenery.cfg, and the SceneryIndexes_64 folder. Didnt Work

Then I deleted the P3D.cfg, just in case. Didnt work.

Using the Repair option in the Add/Remove Programs menu

Neither of those has fixed the problem, it is still getting stuck at the same position. Any ideas on how to get P3D running again. 

9W

It could be an addon using the .xml method, go to your documents, find the Prepar3d add-on's folder, make a backup, remove anything from there and launch P3D.

If it launches then restore one by one your add-on's until you find the culprit.

Regards 

Simbol 

Some Add on scenery takes for ages to load. FlyTampa’s VHHX Kai Tak gets stuck on 6% for about 4-5 mins on my system. Try just leaving it and see if it eventually loads.

2 hours ago, simbol said:

It could be an addon using the .xml method, go to your documents, find the Prepar3d add-on's folder, make a backup, remove anything from there and launch P3D.

Tried this. Still getting stuck at the same place. Since using the Repair option did not fix it, I wonder if reinstalling the client will do anything. 

21 minutes ago, Tony747-400 said:

Some Add on scenery takes for ages to load. FlyTampa’s VHHX Kai Tak gets stuck on 6% for about 4-5 mins on my system. Try just leaving it and see if it eventually loads.

I've tried letting it run for an hour last night. When it gets stuck, there is no HDD read/write use at all.

HI,

this is a very old issue that has already been present in FSX. The prevailing theory is, that at the 6% mark the active scenery folders are being scanned. So if you were using for example high definition mesh or massive autogen (like those AGN packages for photo scenery with 100,000 files or more) on a slow(er) drive, this could take ages. In your case, if the sim doesn't recover at all, it could also be a defective sector on one of your drives.

There have been many threads about the "stuck at 6%" issue over the years, but none of them seems to have a conclusive solution - which IMHO points to a hardware/drive related problem or some strange scenery issue making the logic go in circles. Could also be an access privilege issue or antivirus blocking access to some folder or file, and the sim process is simply waiting for it to be released - which never happens.

Try deactivating your scenery addons one by one. Start with mesh.To make this easier you could use a scenery management tool that allows for better handling.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

10 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

HI,

this is a very old issue that has already been present in FSX. The prevailing theory is, that at the 6% mark the active scenery folders are being scanned. So if you were using for example high definition mesh or massive autogen (like those AGN packages for photo scenery with 100,000 files or more) on a slow(er) drive, this could take ages. In your case, if the sim doesn't recover at all, it could also be a defective sector on one of your drives. Try deactivating your scenery addons one by one. Start with mesh.To make this easier you could use a scenery management tool that allows for better handling.

There have been many threads about the "stuck at 6%" issue over the years, but none of them seems to have a conclusive solution - which IMHO points to a hardware/drive related problem or some strange scenery issue making the logic go in circles.

Best regards

Hi,

I was not aware that this was an existing issue. If this is was caused  by an addon, would it not be fixed by using a clean scenery.cfg and a blank add-on folder ? I dont have any addon mesh installed. I have a dozen payware airports, around 50 freeware ones, and ORBX Global. Also, is there some hard disk tool I could use to check if there are bad sectors in the drive ?

I do use SCE to manage the scenery.cfg entries, I also have your Addon Organiser but I used to avoid too many add-on.xml entries as it used to cause some issues.

Cheers

9W

Edited by ninerwhiskey9W

Just now, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Hi,

I was not aware that this was an existing issue. If this is was caused  by an addon, would it not be fixed by using a clean scenery.cfg and a blank add-on folder ? Also, is there some hard disk tool I could use to check if there are bad sectors in the drive ?

I do use SCE to manage the scenery.cfg entries, I also have your Addon Organiser but I used to avoid too many add-on.xml entries as it used to cause some issues.

Cheers

9W

Hi,

Windows' own chkdsk can do that scan for you. You may have to start the command line with admin privileges though.

The quickest way to check your scenery is probably to 

1. Rename "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg" to "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg.off"
  2. Start the sim - it builds a new default scenery file
  3. See what happens

If the sim is loading now, then go back to the "off" scenery.cfg and check addons one by one. You can use either P4AO or SCE for that, whichever seems more convenient to quickly disable multiple addons in one go.

Please note that this procedure is assuming that you have already checked the external addons. You can doublecheck by disabling all external packages in P4AO (on the packages tab).

Best regards

LORBY-SI

This has routinely happened to me with both P3dv3 and P3dv4. In my case, it is similar to what Oliver mentioned.

I can make it happen when starting P3d from an Orbx airport in an Orbx region (KMRY in NCA, for example) with the terrain mesh slider at 2m or smaller. No other P3d setting seems to affect it for me. And, even with the Orbx scenery still activated, the 6% issue will not happen if I am starting outside of the Orbx milieu (PS I do not have Orbx Global LC or Vector).

Edited by Henry Street

2 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

This has routinely happened to me with both P3dv3 and P3dv4. In my case, it is similar to what Oliver mentioned.

I can make it happen when starting P3d from an Orbx airport in an Orbx region (KMRY in NCA, for example) with the terrain mesh slider at 2m or smaller. No other P3d setting seems to affect it for me. 

I dont even get to the scenario menu. The splash screen shows, then the pic I posted in the OP.

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

The quickest way to check your scenery is probably to 

1. Rename "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg" to "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\scenery.cfg.off"
  2. Start the sim - it builds a new default scenery file
  3. See what happens

I tried this. No change, it still gets stuck at 6%. Giving a go at reinstalling the whole thing.

I would strongly recommend always starting P3d with the scenario menu enabled. Not sure this is what is causing a problem for you in this case...but there are a lot of issues reported when starting from a saved scenario even the default. 

Thanks for posting about this problem, interested to hear what happens.

7 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

I would strongly recommend always starting P3d with the scenario menu enabled. Not sure this is what is causing a problem for you in this case...but there are a lot of issues reported when starting from a saved scenario even the default. 

Thanks for posting about this problem, interested to hear what happens.

How do I enable/disable the scenario menu ? I've never loaded a saved scenario from outside the P3D menu.

8 minutes ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

How do I enable/disable the scenario menu ? I've never loaded a saved scenario from outside the P3D menu.

Just so I'm sure what to say:

When you double click the P3D program icon, does it immediately go to loading a flight or does it stop at the scenario start screen where you pick a vehicle, weather, etc?