Sign in to follow this  
ninerwhiskey9W

P3D getting stuck on the splash screen, at 6% terrain data

26 minutes ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

How do I enable/disable the scenario menu ? I've never loaded a saved scenario from outside the P3D menu.

By editing the "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg":

[USERINTERFACE]
SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=1

(this parameter is controlled by a checkbox on the scenario selection screen, but as your sim is stuck currently, you can't access the dialog)

Do not use Windows notepad to edit this file, that can destroy the character encoding, rendering the file useless. Instead, use an advanced editor like Notepad++ 

From the scenario screen, you can also try to load another aircraft in a different location, see if that helps.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

19 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Just so I'm sure what to say:

When you double click the P3D program icon, does it immediately go to loading a flight or does it stop at the scenario start screen where you pick a vehicle, weather, etc?

Direct to the loading screen. No menus at all.

12 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

By editing the "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg":

[USERINTERFACE]
SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=1

(this parameter is controlled by a checkbox on the scenario selection screen, but as your sim is stuck currently, you can't access the dialog)

Do not use Windows notepad to edit this file, that can destroy the character encoding, rendering the file useless. Instead, use an advanced editor like Notepad++ 

From the scenario screen, you can also try to load another aircraft in a different location, see if that helps.

Will try this out. Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Direct to the loading screen. No menus at all.

Will try this out. Thanks for the help.

When you get to the scenario menu, pick a default aircraft and a default airport. Possible you could have a problem with your saved flight or addons. Using only defaults is a good test.

28 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

[USERINTERFACE]
SHOW_SCENARIO_WINDOW=1

Best regards

Did the changes you suggested, with Notepad++, but P3D still skips directly to the loading. Any ideas ?

59 minutes ago, ninerwhiskey9W said:

Any ideas ?

Sorry, not really. This is the most basic simulator functionality. Make sure that the file has really been edited and saved, that the parameter is present only once (and with value 1), and if all fails, delete the cfg and let P3D build a new one, then change the value again.

More extreme measures would be to temporarily rename the P3D folders in AppData\Roaming, AppData\Local and C:\ProgramData, so that the simulator thinks that is has just been installed. But if your problem results from something inside the P3D main folder (like a rogue BGL in the scenery subfolders or a broken shader) then this won't help either. Then your last options are uninstalling and reinstalling the P3D Client, Content and Scenery - or uninstalling the whole thing and manually removing the above mentioned folders - and the P3D main folder too - then reinstalling from scratch. The addons that were present in \Documents with add-on.xml files will probably survive, but nothing else.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI

Hello 

Try these  (In this order)

1) Disable any Antivirus Software you may, Then launch Prepar3D and test,  If successful Insure you add the complete core Prepar3D folder to the Exclusions Zone. This will stop any of the Prepar3D files been detected as False Positives. 

Also Disable the UAC User Account Control  

Windows Defender:  If you are using Windows Defender Turn Off   "Real Time Protection"  and  "Controlled folder access"  and then launch Prepar3D and test,  If successful make sure you add the complete core Prepar3D folder to the Exclusions Zone of Windows Defender Like This

You can also add an Exclusion for  "Controlled folder access"  OR just turn this Option Off 

------------------------------

2) Launch Prepar3D as administrator 

Navigate to your Prepar3D core folder right click on the Prepar3D.exe and run as  administrator

3) Have you also tried deleting the terrain.cfg file yet ?  This file will also generate again when Prepar3D is launched next 

Copy Tex below and Paste into your Windows search bar and click on the result,  this will bring you directly to the correct locations

Delete the terrain.cfg file,  Then launch Prepar3D and test 

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

4) Delete these 2 files Prepar3D_Default.fxml \ Prepar3D_Default.wx

This will not effect your Add on's or settings.  These files will generate again when Prepar3D is launched next

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then Launch Prepar3D and test

5) Right click and Rename both dll.xml files located below to Off   (dll.xmlOff

%PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then Launch Prepar3D and test

6) You have run a Repair on your Prepar3D Install yes ?

Navigate to the windows  Control Panel right click Prepar3D Academic \ Professional and click Change and click Repair

Then Restart your computer and launch and test

7) Remove the Prepar3D generated folders that is generated during the program execution 

These folders and files will generate again when Prepar3D is launched next.  Note: This process will disable your Add On's and bring Prepar3D back to a default state.

Navigate to your core Prepar3D v4 folder,  Scroll down a bit, Double left Click on the file Delete Generated files,  A small black window will appear and then disappear again,  this is normal

Then launch Prepar3D and test 

Try them steps

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Poppet said:

Hello 

Try these  (In this order)

Try them steps

I tried all your steps, except I couldnt find these files you mentioned : Prepar3D_Default.fxml \ Prepar3D_Default.wx. . I'm still stuck with the same problem. Is there anything short of uninstalling I can try ?

Hello

Don't worry about not being able to find the 2 files because you have already run the Delete generated files command Yes ?  And this will remove all generated files 

------------

If you were missing a Default Prepar3D yellow folder in the core location this would also give this Issue

Can you see all 18 default yellow folders below in your core folder

img

---------------------------------

Have you tried deleting the Prepar3D v4 Add-on's folders and the Prepoar3D v4 files folder in your Documents location ?

--------------

You could Delete the complete Scenery folder above and then run a repair in the Windows Control Panel,

Delete the Scenery folder,   Then Right click on Prepar3D v4 Scenery and click Repair

This will not effect any Add On's really.  You will just need to reinstall Orbx Global base if you have it

11 minutes ago, Poppet said:

Hello

Don't worry about not being able to find the 2 files because you have already run the Delete generated files command Yes ?  And this will remove all generated files 

Hi,

No, actually. That was before I ran the delete all generated filed command. I followed the instructions one by one in the order listed. I've spent a fair amount of time today on this, so I shall continue tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

9W

On 2/15/2018 at 4:33 AM, Poppet said:

Hello Stan 

Possibly caused by a registry error or your security settings 

Temporarily Disable your Antivirus Software and Firewall,  Also Disable the UAC User Account Control  

If you are using Windows Defender temporarily  Turn Off  "Real Time Protection"  

Then Try the Microsoft Troubleshooting program for uninstalling Issues 

Click the link below and go through the prompted steps.  Click Download , Run the file then click Next > Uninstalling,  Locate the Items you want to uninstall and click Next 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Hello Elaine, 

I tried the steps you suggested, but still didnt get it to work. When I tried to uninstall P3D, the uninstaller would get stuck at uninstalling the Scenery component. Even when using the program linked above, I was able to get rid of the Client, and Content, but even that program gets stuck when trying to remove the scenery program. 

b7xvCy7.jpg

It been stuck at this for the past one hour now. Please advise how I can proceed with the uninstallation ? My P3D folder is empty, and the generated files and folders have also been deleted. 

Thanks 

9W

I've struggled with the 6% stall problem for years. Just deleted scenery.cfg in P3D4.4 and it blew right through 6% right to completion! Huzzah!

BAH! On next start I'm back to horrendous (3 minutes or so) long delay at 6%. 

Edited by tailspin45

2 hours ago, tailspin45 said:

I've struggled with the 6% stall problem for years. Just deleted scenery.cfg in P3D4.4 and it blew right through 6% right to completion! Huzzah!

BAH! On next start I'm back to horrendous (3 minutes or so) long delay at 6%.

3 minutes is not so bad...Did you have addon scenery at all?

Because if you did it was proably located in the scenery.cfg file that was deleted, and now everything loads fast past the 6% mark because the addon entries are no longer in the newly created scenery.cfg.

The actual 6% loading issue was releated to an old design fault from the ESP orginal code where custom library objects would be read multiple times.

And P3D  v4.5 HF1 has the issue resolved as Orbx raised the problem with Lockheed Martin whereupon LM resolved.

Also helps a lot if you're loading P3D and scenery from an SSD or M2 drive.

For example I have a fast M2 drive and my scenery.cfg has 314 entries, inc. all Orbx Global, Orbx regions of my interest and airports in those regions, along with many other hundreds of GB of additional scenery outside of Orbx. Total P3D disk size use is 732 GB and on avarage (when running P3D 4.5 HF1) I have just a couple of minutes @ the 6% mark. e.g. I loaded a saved flight @ WA79 (An orbx airfield) and the 6% time was 1:15 minutes.

Also for editing the scenery file I use this Java based tool wihich works very well and allows easy adding, ordering and disabling of scenery.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/?source=navbar

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

You called it.

The reason it loaded fast was because none of my bazillion ORBX scenery was in the load. Next time, of course it was. (I do have  SSD)

I've tried a loader that lets you create scenery areas. I fly mostly PNW, I'll try taking anythig else and all my airports up there out and see what happens. WA79 is favorite of mine too.

Good news about 4.5. Is it safe to upgrade yet, do you think?

Thank for the Java link. Looks better than what I've been using which is overkill.

I like the PNW too, lots of good GA scenery and a nice collection of airfields.

As for updating to 4.5, yes sure go for it. Only the client needs to be updated to trial it out and if you're not happy just uninstall the client and reinstall the original client. Also there is no need to deactivate P3D when installing/uninstalling the client because it's not as though you are moving P3D to another machine.

The origonal 4.5 release was flawed but the HF1 re-release solved the issues and I've found it to be a good stable release.

I initally trialled the pre HF1 4.5, found it flawed, rolled back to 4.4, later I trialed the 4.5 HF1 and have since left it in place.

Also remember to delete the shadercache if you update so that it can rebuild.

C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

I'd checkout the release notes too.

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2019/05/115307/

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2019/04/115244/

Cheers

Addendum:

I needed to update the following for 4.5:

1), ASN

2), TomatoShade

3), F1 GTN 750

4), Re-enable hardware acceleration

5), Re-install PrecipitFX

6), Re-install a custom rain shader mode I wrote.

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D