Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

Changinf radio frequency sometimes takes a long time to stop the previous speech!

I don't know if this is a bug, but I am changing frequency from ATIS to Clearance Delivery (and this is confirmed by the P2A display, bottom left), but the ATIS spiel continues for a long long time afterwards (several iterations).

I know the sound playing facilities in Windows include facilities for sound playing to be terminated even when they are long and in a loop. Dooesn't this facility apply to speech synthesis?

Maybe this is only a problem with ATIS? If the output cannot be terminated before the end of the one complete ATIS report, then at least it should before the next iteration.

On that point, shouldn't there be a few second gap between iterations? It seems to be continuous (maybe it is like that for real?)

BTW, sorry about posting so many questions and problems here. It won't happen much more -- it is only because I am really getting into this, and hope to have the full cockpit ready, up and running, with everything properly sorted, for when I return from a little break (10 days in Poland, starting Wednesday).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

ATIS should stop as soon as you swap frequencies.  Every once in a while, it might not realize it's been swapped and will continue playing.  Just do another swap to make ATIS active and then another one back to the new frequency, and that usually fixes it.

In the US, at least, the ATIS is pretty much continuous with only a couple of seconds pause.  I suspect that is because pilots want to get their weather and get off the ATIS frequency so a long pause would increase the time for them to get anything they missed on the first listen.

54 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

ATIS should stop as soon as you swap frequencies.  Every once in a while, it might not realize it's been swapped and will continue playing.  Just do another swap to make ATIS active and then another one back to the new frequency, and that usually fixes it.

Okay, I'll try that. But I should say that Pilot2ATC must know it has changed as it displays the new current frequency correctly. Is one part of Pilot2ATC not talking to another very often? :blink:

Pete

Edited by Pete Dowson

Hi again,

Tried switching back to ATIS, and this showed immediately in P2A's window, but the voice didn't start for many seconds after this -- about 15 I think. Not sure if this is the same problem as stopping when the frequency is changed from ATIS.

Anyway, once it had started I decided I'd slowed this particular voice down too much (-2) so went to change that, but I might have made a big mistake by pressing TEST in the Voices tab whilst ATIS was playing, and P2A crashed. Crash details are below.

It'll probably be a while now before I get back to my cockpit. Other things to catch up on and then away on holiday for a while -- back April 21st. So forgive me if I'm not able to test any changes in the interim.

Pete

The crash, evidently in the voice DLL itself, so perhaps it just doesn't like being called when already running? Maybe a simple precaution to stop that would be sensible?

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    Pilot2ATC_2018.exe
  Application Version:    2.5.0.0
  Application Timestamp:    5ac4ecec
  Fault Module Name:    voice_en_gb_emma.dll
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    5692f7e6
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000000000003c96d
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    2057
  Additional Information 1:    7322
  Additional Information 2:    7322ef4122b23f912e5da7169a8be570
  Additional Information 3:    2bfb
  Additional Information 4:    2bfb4d8a542f7c69214eebced2bcaf

23 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

But I should say that Pilot2ATC must know it has changed as it displays the new current frequency correctly. Is one part of Pilot2ATC not talking to another very often? :blink:

Not too often, but once in a while, an event fires and not everyone catches it correctly.

3 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

but I might have made a big mistake by pressing TEST in the Voices tab whilst ATIS was playing, and P2A crashed. Crash details are below.

Pete, I suspect your theory is correct.  Could you please email me the log file for this episode.  I may be able to figure out what happened and prevent it in the future. 

Log files are located in:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs

This should be in the most recent log file in the folder.

Thanks,

Dave

28 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Could you please email me the log file for this episode.  I may be able to figure out what happened and prevent it in the future. 

Log files are located in:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs

This should be in the most recent log file in the folder.

Okay.

Pete