Sign in to follow this  
Frank Tien

fast way to set MINS

Hello, 

Is there a fast way to set MINS to above 1000? Take the tutorial 2, p.111 for example, setting it to 3700 takes a long time. Maybe I missed something out? 

Thank you. 

Frank Tien

No. There is no fast way to set baro minimums unless you cheat and just go with radar minimums - but that would be ignoring the tutorial!

Just give yourself plenty of time to spin that dial if you're setting them over 500'

Haha I just flew into KDEN and had to set mins to something like 5580.  It is a chore, best to start pre-arrival chores well before TOD to get everything done without rushing.  It helps that the "mouse wheel" on my trackball is a big round cylinder that I can spin easily and for a long time without cramping the hand muscles.

Also, you can assign all EFIS controls to a key command using the PMDG Options menu, for example I have MINS assigned to Ctrl+1 for decrease and Ctrl+2 for increase (I also blow off all default keycommands that I don't use).  The means one only has to hold down the Ctrl+2 key combination to get there.

Edited by downscc
  • Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

In the real thing (747 at least -- I assume the NG is the same, but may not be) there is some 'acceleration' if you spin the knob rapidly which means you can set big numbers quickly.

31 minutes ago, skelsey said:

In the real thing (747 at least -- I assume the NG is the same, but may not be) there is some 'acceleration' if you spin the knob rapidly which means you can set big numbers quickly.

It's like the 777.  The knob does not spin but has fast and slow positions for both increase and decrease.

I tried once to ask PMDG to change it (a LONG time ago) and someone told me this is the most practical way. Some people have a weird sense of "practical".

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

40 minutes ago, skelsey said:

7 minutes ago, JoeDiamond said:

It's like the 777.  The knob does not spin but has fast and slow positions for both increase and decrease.

Not yet, the NGX has a simple if somewhat unrealistic implementation.  Just incre/decre no fast mode as in PMDG 747/777.  It is not surprising that both this simple and the more realistic implementation get complaints, so they added an option to the 747 to allow either.

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, downscc said:

Not yet, the NGX has a simple if somewhat unrealistic implementation.  Just incre/decre no fast mode as in PMDG 747/777.

I was referring to the actual airplane.

9 hours ago, Frank Tien said:

Is there a fast way to set MINS to above 1000?

Yes it is, and actually is tought during training.

Unfortunately like everything else if you forgot about it (is so much to know) or if you not operating  in or out off areas where baro settings are to be set at high values you forget about this:

MENU > CTL PNL> from OFF to ON> EFIS CP SELECT> MINS SET (at 3L) just type your baro mins. After that just push again MENU and CTR PNL change from ON to OFF.

And the MINS switch does not have a fast or slow mode. That's another aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

1 hour ago, killthespam said:

And the MINS switch does not have a fast or slow mode. That's another aircraft.

The actual aircraft certainly does.  Turn the knob slightly to change by 1 foot increments, turn farther and it changes in 10 foot increments.

Joe, please stop disseminating wrong info.

The 744 x 748 airplane doesn't  have a fast or slow mode.

When you rotate the minimums selector in RADIO mode sets a radio altitude reference in RADIO display in one foot increments.

When you rotate the minimums selector in BARO sets a barometric altitude reference in BARO
display, in increments of ten feet, or one foot increments based on software installed.

Edited by killthespam

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

24 minutes ago, killthespam said:

When you rotate the minimums selector in RADIO mode sets a radio altitude reference in RADIO display in one foot increments.

When you rotate the minimums selector in BARO sets a barometric altitude reference in BARO
display, in increments of ten feet, or one foot increments based on software installed.

:rolleyes:

Matt Cee

32 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Joe never mentioned the 744 or 748. 

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB