Sign in to follow this  
Frank Tien

fast way to set MINS

53 minutes ago, killthespam said:

Joe, please stop disseminating wrong info.

The 744 x 748 airplane doesn't  have a fast or slow mode.

Nice to know, but not exactly relevant given that we are talking about the 737, which by the way works exactly as I described.

1 minute ago, JoeDiamond said:

Nice to know, but not exactly relevant given that we are talking about the 737, which by the way works exactly as I described.

Joe I'm very sorry!

My mistake, please accept my apologies. 

I got carried away with:

"In the real thing (747 at least -- I assume the NG is the same, but may not be) there is some 'acceleration' if you spin the knob rapidly which means you can set big numbers quickly.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

6 minutes ago, killthespam said:

My mistake, please accept my apologies

No worries, it’s all good.

8 hours ago, killthespam said:

Yes it is, and actually is tought during training.

Unfortunately like everything else if you forgot about it (is so much to know) or if you not operating  in or out off areas where baro settings are to be set at high values you forget about this:

MENU > CTL PNL> from OFF to ON> EFIS CP SELECT> MINS SET (at 3L) just type your baro mins. After that just push again MENU and CTR PNL change from ON to OFF.

And the MINS switch does not have a fast or slow mode. That's another aircraft.

This option is not available in PMDG's 737 NGX. Or is it?

Hans van Wijhe

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

5 hours ago, killthespam said:

"In the real thing (747 at least -- I assume the NG is the same, but may not be) there is some 'acceleration' if you spin the knob rapidly which means you can set big numbers quickly.

The 744 minimums selector definitely, 100% changes the value at a different rate depending on how fast you spin the rotary knob (at least BA's aircraft do). There is no fast/slow rate selector -- if you give the knob a rapid spin, the numbers increase (much) more rapidly -- one quick spin will increase the minimum by some 1500-2000 feet. Rotate the knob one click at a time and the minimum increases/decreases in 10 ft increments (customer option).

One trick I realized when changing speed, altitude, etc. on the MCP is to make sure you put the view into the standard "cockpit" view.  For some reason, the speed at which the numbers change on the MCP is a million x faster than when you're in the virtual cockpit mode.  Hope this helps

Josh

Edited by jtm12180

On 2/1/2019 at 8:02 AM, Frank Tien said:

What's standard cockpit view? You mean 2d panel? 

yep!

On 4/7/2018 at 3:33 PM, skelsey said:

In the real thing (747 at least -- I assume the NG is the same, but may not be) there is some 'acceleration' if you spin the knob rapidly which means you can set big numbers quickly.

I can verify that the PMDG NGX does this too.  I gave it a shot after reading this thread, and it works!

A hint for those of you also using a laptop: I find that it is much faster to set the baro mins using trackpad scrolling (i.e., one stroke down my trackpad makes about 1500 ft difference) than when using the mouse wheel.

Another way, even faster than what I had suggested above, is if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel.  Flip it up and down quickly and the numbers really start moving quick!

Came back after taking a long break from simming and forgot that the fast scrolling was implemented on my 777 but not the NGX. It was a nightmare keeping the mouse steady while scrolling to 3700 feet with Ezdok2 camera shakes and AS16 putting in some nasty turbulence...

I used to fly in Turkey. The Mins were anywhere from 100 to 5950ft. Fortunately only one of you needs to spend half an hour setting it, as a quick flip of the EFIS control selector on the overhead will transfer the setting across. Shame the SIM doesn't have that trick! Something else to add to the list of fixes....

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 4/7/2018 at 8:17 PM, Vlad Tepes3 said:

Yes it is, and actually is tought during training.

Unfortunately like everything else if you forgot about it (is so much to know) or if you not operating  in or out off areas where baro settings are to be set at high values you forget about this:

MENU > CTL PNL> from OFF to ON> EFIS CP SELECT> MINS SET (at 3L) just type your baro mins. After that just push again MENU and CTR PNL change from ON to OFF.

And the MINS switch does not have a fast or slow mode. That's another aircraft.

OK, a necro-post, but just came across this on a search.

Can you explain what "MENU" you are referring to here?

* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

4 hours ago, oskrypuch said:

OK, a necro-post, but just came across this on a search.

Can you explain what "MENU" you are referring to here?

* Orest

I apologized for my mistake in a previous post, I didn't pay attention, it was about the 737. What I mentioned was related to the 747s FMC under MENU > CTL PNL> from OFF to ON> EFIS CP SELECT> MINS SET (at 3L) just type your baro mins. After that just push again MENU and CTR PNL change from ON to OFF. 

Edited by Vlad Tepes3

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090