Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

When Planes Collide - 2 Dead in Crash

A Cessna 150 rear ended a Cessna 525 at the Marion, Indiana airport on April 3, 2018.

The FAA believes the Cessna 150 struck the tail of the Citation while attempting to take off at 5:09 p.m. local time. The Citation had just landed, WTTV reports.

Apparently the C525 had just landed and was practically stopped when the C150 attempted to take off. Evidently it was a failure to maintain situational awareness. It is tragic that two firefighters in the C150 were killed in the accident.

zYaQL.png

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/two-planes-collide-on-runway-marion-indiana-airport-firefighters-killed/

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is one of those accidents that is hard to understand how it could possibly happen. How could the pilot of the 150 not see the 525 on the runway ahead of him? I’m guessing it was an uncontrolled airfield as the  tower surely wouldn’t have given the 150 clearance to take off until the runway was clear.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

At first, given the time of day, thought sun blindness might have been contributing, but based on the shadows, no.  Terrible, terrible accident.  My heart goes out to all affected by this.

Randy

There must have been some distraction in the cockpit for the 150 pilots, goes back to the axiom, fly the plane first.  The accident could have been a lot worst had fire engulfed the jet, I am happy more lives were spared.

John

Edited by Cactus521
  • Like 1

I am guessing the C150 was using the smaller runway that intersects the larger one, I can't see how someone would takeoff with a C525 in front of them. From the picture in the article both aircraft appear to be near the intersecting runways and the collision probably caused the C525 to do a 180 spin from the force of the impact if it was hit from the side. I can only think this is why they couldn't see if if they were using separate runways. 

But if they were using the same runway strange they couldn't see that aircraft in front of them.

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

33 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

I am guessing the C150 was using the smaller runway that intersects the larger one, I can't see how someone would takeoff with a C525 in front of them. From the picture in the article both aircraft appear to be near the intersecting runways and the collision probably caused the C525 to do a 180 spin from the force of the impact if it was hit from the side. I can only think this is why they couldn't see if if they were using separate runways. 

But if they were using the same runway strange they couldn't see that aircraft in front of them.

The only car accident I ever caused was thank goodness a small dent in the vehicle I hit, my vehicle was badly damaged, I hit a big truck which absorbed the impact.  The driver and his truck were fine, and my car's safety system saved my life, it was a Toyota Camry.  I was given a failure to yield citation but it was expunged from my driving record after I took the safety classes.  The safety classes were a good mid driving career refresher, just like pilots should get check-rides I feel drivers like myself should get check-rides because we unconsciously pick up bad habits, mostly by looking at the speedometer too much and not the flow of traffic around us, just like in real flight.  The truck I hit came in from my blind spot, the Camry was plagued with a blind spot in that direction.  My current car does not have any blind spots except for one in the far left corner but I clear it by turning my head slightly.  Better than a blind spot on the right side of a car, the Camry was dangerous that way because of the position of the headrests.

John

The driver implored me not to be hard on myself, he knew it was an accident and not deliberate and he applauded me for having insurance coverage, he said he was hit by someone who did not have such coverage and it angered him, he was very kind to me.

Edited by Cactus521
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1