Sign in to follow this  
dmwalker

Entering LAT/LONG Waypoints

I was entering a real world route from CYYZ to RKSI for my B777-300ER (FSX) and one of the waypoints was 6430N/10000W. I believe that would be entered as 6N400 but it was not recognised by the FMC. Was the entry incorrect?

Dugald Walker

30 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

I was entering a real world route from CYYZ to RKSI for my B777-300ER (FSX) and one of the waypoints was 6430N/10000W. I believe that would be entered as 6N400 but it was not recognised by the FMC. Was the entry incorrect?

The shortcut method generally does not work unless the values are whole degrees, for example 6430N is the same as 64N 030W but N64 30 W100 00 has to be encoded without shortcut:  N640000.0W1000000.0.  A quick memory jogger for the correct format is to see how the GPS or INS coordinates are displayed in the scratchpad.

A little trivial:  All shortcuts such as 6430N or 35W80 are actual defined waypoints in the file wpNavFIX.txt and you can view those definitions in any text editor.  In other words, the shortcuts are not a FMS features but are required to be found in navdata.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the tip about the scratchpad, although you got a bit carried away with the zeros. For the record it was N6430.0W10000.0.

Dugald Walker

43 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Thanks for the tip about the scratchpad, although you got a bit carried away with the zeros. For the record it was N6430.0W10000.0.

Facepalm...

Dan Downs KCRP

On 7.4.2018 at 8:25 PM, downscc said:

Facepalm...

Milliseconds make you hit the middle of the center line :P

Edited by Ephedrin

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, downscc said:

Facepalm...

Nah, they're just lat/longs on Jupiter...:laugh:

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals