Sign in to follow this  
bean_sprout

Compress SSD Drive - Taxiing Smooth

I have an PCIE NVME SSD 512gig drive.  It is roughly 1/2 full with about 219gig free with P3D42 and a full-up suite of ORBX NA scenery.  One day as experiment I turned on compression in the drive properties - it took about 20 minutes.

While the free space remained at 219gig I noticed that ground handling was much smoother at my ORBX airports using CYBD and L05 as examples.

I didn't connect the improved ground handling to having drive compression enabled until I turned compression off.  When I turned compression back on the smoothness returned.

Can anyone reason why enabling drive compression on my SSD has a beneficial effect?

Regards
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

What do you mean with "ground handling" ?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Taxiing would have a stutter every few seconds.

Cheers
bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

35 minutes ago, 331BK said:

Can't figure out how improving writing performance can make less stutter in Prepar3D !?! For Prepar3D, as it's more or less mainly reading data process from SSD, the uncompress process should be un-impactful, which I doubt...

Edited by vbazillio

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

i give it a try, eventhough i have  a m2 samsung 960 EVO with 1 TB.

I hope my 7900 X @ 4,8 ghz is capable enough :)

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I have since turned compression back off.  Also turning the indexing OFF seems to help.

Cheers
bs

23 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Can anyone reason why enabling drive compression on my SSD has a beneficial effect?

Maybe just having a more free space? I don't really know, but i find it interesting. How much free space we are talking about - before and after compression on?

A long time ago, it was a good idea to have 50% free of your HDD. Now, with SSD's, i'm not sure. But more free space should improve performance, maybe not so significant with SSD, i have no a idea

2 hours ago, lodestar said:

Maybe just having a more free space? I don't really know, but i find it interesting. How much free space we are talking about - before and after compression on?

A long time ago, it was a good idea to have 50% free of your HDD. Now, with SSD's, i'm not sure. But more free space should improve performance, maybe not so significant with SSD, i have no a idea

Yes in the old days.  With P3D think tons of files needing work by the OS.  Compression may work in certain configs so it depends on the bottlekneck.

The indexing contents OFF makes sense since it is added workload for the OS - longer latency.  Good on a business machine maybe.

bs 

1 hour ago, bean_sprout said:

Compression may work in certain configs so it depends on the bottlekneck.

i'm not sure i understand this, what do you mean under the "bottlekneck"?

I disabled a lot of services in the last couple of days, i'm still in a process on informing about them and then disabling if not important. I'm seeing an improvement already. Did you know you can disable chrome services when not in use? :happy: It saves a RAM, and with all other services disabled and / or set to manual, it's makes the difference

29 minutes ago, lodestar said:

i'm not sure i understand this, what do you mean under the "bottlekneck"?

I disabled a lot of services in the last couple of days, i'm still in a process on informing about them and then disabling if not important. I'm seeing an improvement already. Did you know you can disable chrome services when not in use? :happy: It saves a RAM, and with all other services disabled and / or set to manual, it's makes the difference

process lasso does all that for you automatically in game mode and has smart trimm to save RAM...and I think its free although I have the paid version

Edited by zmak

ZORAN

12 minutes ago, zmak said:

process lasso does all that for you. Automatically in game mode and has smart trimm to save RAM...and I think its free although I have the paid version

I got the payware version, it was a special offer, but i never tried it. I may try it now, since i'm a "process kill" oriented this days :laugh:

2 minutes ago, lodestar said:

I got the payware version, it was a special offer, but i never tried it. I may try it now, since i'm a "process kill" oriented this days :laugh:

Works right out of the box, I just enabled smart trim . Its amazing to see how it selects a few programs to be active  and scales everything else right back  even when your not in gaming mode

ZORAN