Sign in to follow this  
billandjillmeier

P3D separate install on different drives

Can I install p3d on two different drives on the same system. One install on a hard drive, and one install on an SSD. That way, I can have one install with all of the ORBX regions, and one install with just OpenLC NA.

Bill

Hello Bill

You can only Install one version of Prepar3D v3 or v4 on the same machine,  You can not Install 2 of the same versions of Prepar3D on one computer.

But you can Install Prepar3D v3 & v4 on the same computer as they can coexist no problem together 

If you have two legitimate copies, yes.  You cannot install the same version twice.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Elaine - I'll bow to your expertise on this but are we saying the same thing? 

Registration is for one copy on one system. Two copies on same system would require two licenses - OR - are you saying that two copies on same system will not work regardless of license?

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hello Vic

Yes we are saying the same thing.

1 License of Prepar3D Entitles you to Install 1 copy of Prepar3D on 1 machine.   

For example 1 License of Prepar3D v4 entitles you to Install 1 copy of Prepar3D v4 on 1 machine.  2 copy of Prepar3D v4 on the same machine will not function due to the register key's being tied to only one version. 

If a user has a License for Prepar3D v3 & v4 they can Install together as they will coexist (work) on the same machine no problem 

Okay, thank you all for the replies. It is as I suspected. The reason for two copies would be so that I could have one version with the ORBX regions installed for flying in the west coast and Alaska. Then one version with ORBX OpenLC NA for flying in the rest of the country. I tried using the ORBX regions along with OpenLC NA, and that does not work. 

Bill

One way you could do it with two licenses would be to dual boot. Each system would be independent with it's own registry. Of course this uses up a bunch of disk space.

Or use two drives and swap them in an out. Still need two licenses no matter what.

Vic

11 hours ago, billandjillmeier said:

I tried using the ORBX regions along with OpenLC NA, and that does not work.

It SHOULD work though... What problems do you have with this? There are thousands of simmers out there that are using FTX Global, OpenLC and Vector at the same time as FTX regions. I've done the same in the past too (but only use regions now).

EDIT
I (also) answered to your post on the Orbx forum. At least I think that's you too. :happy:

Edited by Guest

Havent tried it, but:

Couldn't one just image the OS drive with the p3d install configured without Orbx and install the image on another drive for a Orbx install? Yeah, I think things could get ugly with crossed referenced files, but ....

J van E

With all of the ORBX north america regions and most of the ORBX north american airports installed, I get about 24 frames/sec when taking off from KSFO or KLAX. I keep my graphics sliders mostly to the right, and I use three monitors, each with a dynamic display. When I install ORBX OpenLC NA after I install the ORBX regions (FTX_SC, FTX_NC, FTX_PNW, FTX_SAK, etc.) my frame rates are cut in half. Frame rates go down to around 10 FPS using the same aircraft at the same airport with everything else set the same. I then uninstall P3D, EVERYTHING, and start over. I reinstall P3D, all of my aircraft, and all of the regions and airports that I own. My frame rates go back up to 24 FPS at KLAX and KSFO. I should add that once I get out of the dense cityscape area, my frame rates zoom to the 30s and 40s. I can't explain the drop in frame rates, I just know it happens. Now, of course, I know that I am not losing anything without ORBX Open_LC NA as long as I stay in the regions.

Note: I tried to turn off Open_LC NA in the scenery library after I saw the dramatic loss of FPS, and that did not help.  

Hm, that's an odd problem. If I were you I'd forget about OpenLC and just stay within the regions. :happy:

That's my plan, but I still do not understand why I just can't put Open_LC NA below the regions in the scenery library. The regions should then override the Open_LC files. But something that I cannot explain happens and my frame rates crash.

Bill

Did you check FTX Central and specially the insertion point option? Maybe there is something wrong with that setting. Shouldn’t be the case but you never know. 

You could also try SimStarter (Aerosoft) - it allows to start P3Dv4 with different profiles.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).