Sign in to follow this  
Contactdepture

Alienware?

I am an experienced simmer, FSX Deluxe, but never needed to get a new computer until my present one, built in 2011, crashed. It had an Intel Core 2 processor and 8 RAM, but ran everything pretty well except with weather an a PMDG 777. I will now have to reload everything (GXS, JFK, LHR, Weather, PMDG aircraft etc).  What is the best, but not the absolute greatest, specs for a new machine?  I was looking at Alienware since I only use my PC for FSX (I use Macs for work and home). Is an Alienware Alpha  machine with an Intel I5 any good?? Otherwise, any recommendations to keep the frame rates decent?  Thanks so much !!!

For FSX/FSX-SE, any computer with an Sandy Bridge processor (i7, i5, 2600 or 2600K or higher) will work well with FSX/FSX-SE.  Just remember, in 2006, when FSX was first released, members had a hard time getting 15 fps and were mostly in the single digits if they moved their sliders too high.  I remember clearly members coming back to everyone and stating that 15 fps or higher were the same as a motion picture at a movie theater and it was all you needed to make FSX run.  Many did not believe that and sought higher FPS.  With an i7 2600K, with default FSX settings and default scenery, I got up to 300 fps sitting on runway 26R at Las Vegas.  Then I did something stupid.  I installed FSDT KLAS, MSE Nevada, and AS16 and FPS dropped below 40 but they shot back up after taking off and leaving the Las Vegas area.  It is not FSX/FSX-SE that are causing FPS to suffer, it is the eye-candy addons.  So, when you install an addon, that means sliders will have to go to the left to compensate for the eye-candy.  FSX/FSX-SE are also 32-bit applications so, on a 64-bit Windows Operating System, Microsoft will only give you 4 GB's of Virtual Address Space (not your page file or RAM) for each application and FSX and all of the addons to FSX is considered one application.  When you run out of VAS, FSX will crash.  Could be mid-flight or at the end of the flight depending on the amount of add-ons installed.  The higher the settings, the faster the depletion of VAS.

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide provides recommended settings for those who want to get FSX up and running immediately with nice textures.  So, bottom line, any computer system after January 2011 when Sandy Bridge was released will work for FSX.  A more powerful system will not make it any better because of the issue with VAS.  If you want to future proof and eventually move to Prepar3Dv4, then a powerful system would be recommended. 

An Alienware Alpha machine with an Intel i5 will run FSX but I doubt very good.  You should have an SSD and 16GB of RAM.  I would get a computer with at least an i7 chipset.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Configuration Guide can be found on the right side of this page.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I suppose the million dollar question, or perhaps to the $3K question, is: is it now time to ditch FSX for Prepar3d v4 ? I am just a recreational simmer, but enjoy the eye candy. I have had good success with an outdated system (2011), but I can use both correct? The migration tools will allow me to move my add-ons to P3 is I want? The stats on the Lockheed website say an 8GB video card is necessary. That's a little pricy. Can you get away with a 2GB?

Tx so much!

I guess my question is how much are you willing to spend on a new computer. I would certainly recommend Jetline Systems since they build and test computers specifically for flight simulators, whether it be FSX or P3D V4, so when you get the computer, you at least know it works with the simulator. The base price of the computer I got came out to $2,739, but after making all the upgrades I chose to make, it shot up to $4,000. The $4,000, however, does also include the price of P3D V4 since they are essentially buying it on your behalf and installing it on the computer. Also, if you have any add-ons that you want them to install and test, they will do that for you. In the case of payware, you would, of course, have to provide them with the license key for it in order for them to be able to do that.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Okay, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but given the requirements of P3D V4 and even FSX, if you want decent performance and graphics, you're going to have a hard time pulling that off with just $1,000. The laptop that I bought to run FSX cost around that much, and although it could run it fine, it had the issue of overheating, and of course, FSX running out of memory because it's a 32-bit program. I never tested P3D V4 on it because I am guessing the performance would be not so good.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Yeah, I was looking at Jetline and it get the message. I like the that company is geared toward flight sim as its base product. Willing to get the $2700 model as it seems to fit my needs. Really appreciate you recommending them. 

One more question....I have a lot of experience with FSX, but none with P3. Is it significantly better and if can I use them both from same computer?

Tx

You can certainly use them on the same computer if you really want to, and Jetline Systems gives you the option to do that should you wish to do that. That said, for me, P3D V4 seems to run better on my new computer, both graphics and performance wise.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

On 4/8/2018 at 9:40 PM, Contactdepture said:

The migration tools will allow me to move my add-ons to P3 is I want?

Tx so much!

Not sure if the migration tool would work that well if at all in some instances.  You should call the folks at Jetline and talk to them about the 2 Gb GPU, might not suit your needs.  Looking forward to hearing about your new system.

Good luck!

• Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

12 hours ago, HUSSAR said:

You should call the folks at Jetline and talk to them about the 2 Gb GPU, might not suit your needs.

I'm not sure it would make a difference anyhow. Looking at their website, the lowest option you can even get with their computers is the GTX 1050 Ti with 4 GB, and that's if he bought the cheaper GT1. With the GT2, you can't go lower than the GTX 1070.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg