Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

PMDG 737 or wait?

Good day everyone,

Having recently switched over to P3D from FS9 I’m wondering whether I should spend the 90$ on PMDG 737 or wait for a possible remake that’s been mentioned every now and again.

I did purchase their 747 and it’s an amazing aircraft, Last PMDG I’ve purchased prior to the 747 was their 737 for fs9. They have made great advancements since then and am very impressed by the quality and immersion of the 747, And would imagine their other offerings would offer the same however I’m worried I would spend the 90$ and don’t want to have a new release 2 months later etc.

this is more of a “What would you do” type question?

Thanks

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I faced that same question recently when I upgraded from FSX to P3D4v. I first bought the PMDG 777, but in a couple of weeks, I realized that I actually prefer flying short hoppers between airports like KLGA and KALB, or KRSW and TIST, which are best suited for 737 sized aircraft. So i decided to purchase the current version of 737 by PMDG.

Therefore, my recommendation to you would be to consider do you fly a lot between small airports, or major international type airports. If it is the small airports, I would purchase now. If not, wait.

That’s exactly it, The 747 is fantastic and really enjoy flying it, But it has its specific uses whereas the 737 has its specific uses as well. Most tones I only have 2 hours or so to use the sim where the 737 would provide that type of flying.

after using the 747 from PMDG I have no issues with their pricing, Get what you pay for. Having said that if a PMDG new version of the 737 Were to happen I would wait, unless it is 2 plus years out, which is anyone’s guess really.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I repurchased NGX after converting to P3DV4. I know they're working on a new 737 but based on history that could be another 1to 3 years away. NGX is a great work and very versatile in mission. 

I suggest a close look at the new Leonardo Mad Dog X as well. A masterpiece!

Vic green

I switched a few months ago from the iFly 737 to the PMDG and haven't looked back since.  I love it.  Great aircraft and right now, by far my favorite.  I got the 777 too, but still learning it's quirks, but am very solid on the 737.  I heard about the 737-MAX too, but no details...but honestly, I'm hoping someone releases a PMDG level 787 soon.  I know qualitywings did it for FSX, but gonna be like 2 years before they release for P3D.  

Edited by Andrew Hafey

2 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I’m wondering whether I should spend the 90$ on PMDG 737 or wait for a possible remake

Well, as far as I remember, it is not going to be a 'remake' but a different plane: 737-800 MAX.
Different flight parametres, different engines, some differences in the wing, tail and gear sections, a different flightdeck display system, etc.

Plus I don't think the release is going to happen any time soon. NGX is still an excellent addon.
Why should you wait? 90$ is not cheap but for the amount of fun you are going to get, this is an investment with no chance of failing.

The PMDG NG2 or whatever they call it will not be 2018 in my opinion.  We are still waiting to see the 748 go into beta, and I don't think anything will precede that.

Dan Downs KCRP

I faced the same question just a few weeks ago when I came back into sinning after having been out for two years and had to reassemble everything from scratch for P3dv4. I eventually got it plus the 600/700 expansion package, and I really do love it... it’s oerfect for the type of flying I do. I also have the MaddogX but as it’s more of a learning curve I’ve not really been flying it much yet, though I’m planning to do so sometime soon. Just a matter of getting familiar with the procedures. At the end of the day, the PMDG is the most versatile of planes I could imagine for our sim, performs well and still looks very good. I would advice to shell out the cash and get it if you enjoy shorter hops.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

it is not going to be a 'remake' but a different plane: 737-800 MAX

51 minutes ago, downscc said:

The PMDG NG2

Then I stan corrected.

Think of it this way... If it takes a minimum of 10 months before a new 737 is ready to fly (and I don't think it will happens), and you buy the NG and are using it at least 10 times per month, each usage of it will cost you about $0.90 per usage. Does the joy you will have is worth $0.90 ? If yes, buy it now, if not wait, at least a minimum of 1 year or more...   When I am going to take a ride on my super sport motocycle, it cost me a minimum of $20 just for gasoline and I am enjoying it a lot. Flight sim is cheap if I compare it to other hobbys.

Mike

Edited by Mikelab6
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

have you thought of the aerosoft CRJ.  Its had such great reviews and they even advertise on avsim, so it must be a premium product.     

• Like 1

14ppkc-6.png

As others have mentioned I don’t think the NGX remake/MAX will be out anytime soon.  The NGX has aged quite well and I still enjoy flying it a lot.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I would not hesitate to purchase the NGX.  As mentioned before it has aged very well.  But if u have any doubts and want to wait buy the Maddog X.  

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

I would not hesitate to purchase the NGX.  As mentioned before it has aged very well.  But if u have any doubts and want to wait buy the Maddog X.  

Matt Wilson

Can't go wrong with the NGX.   We will probably get more details about the NG3 in June during the conference, and I don't think it will be ready anytime soon.  I have a rotation that consists of flying the PMDG 737, 747, and 777, and it never gets old.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)