Sign in to follow this  
navops

MCE co-pilot on strike

Updated to the newest version

Every time I try and load MCE it gets as far as waiting for co-pilot to board and goes no further.  I have tried at least 12 times.

Twice it loaded and I had to select PF3 as ATC and when i tried to restart it no co-pilot would board.

MCE is installed where it always has been on my D drive under program files (x86)

I turned UAC off

I have reset the config file several times.

I have made FsInsider.dll a manual start to ensure it is loading.

Still won't start.

Help

Doug

1 hour ago, navops said:

Updated to the newest version

Every time I try and load MCE it gets as far as waiting for co-pilot to board and goes no further.  I have tried at least 12 times.

Twice it loaded and I had to select PF3 as ATC and when i tried to restart it no co-pilot would board.

MCE is installed where it always has been on my D drive under program files (x86)

I turned UAC off

I have reset the config file several times.

I have made FsInsider.dll a manual start to ensure it is loading.

Still won't start.

Help

Doug

Set "fsx.exe" and/or "Prepar3D.exe" to run as admin.

If that doesn't help, most likely reason, you aren't running as admin even though you have disabled UAC.

Maybe you did override folder permissions on D drive, used the "completely disable UAC hack" found on the internet or things like that.

Un-install <MCE, re-set UAC to default 2 notches up the slider, restart and re-install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\... folder

See this thread to understand why these days you don't really have full control on your machine as it used to be the case with Windows XP.

I can't put it on C: because it is too small. C only holds the system on it.

I have had MCE on my flightsim drive in D:\program files (x86)\Multi Crew Experience for over a year with no problems until now.

I'll uninstall and reinstall again.

FSX.exe is set to run as admin, I double checked.

Thanks

Doug

I did all the above and put it on my C drive.

first two attempts it hung waiting for copilot. Started on third and then crashed. Two more attempts and it ran.

Any ideas what is causing the hangs?

Thanks

Doug

4 hours ago, navops said:

I did all the above and put it on my C drive.

first two attempts it hung waiting for copilot. Started on third and then crashed. Two more attempts and it ran.

Any ideas what is causing the hangs?

Thanks

Doug

One variable would be your unique joystick.

Start by disconnecting all joystick and see if MCE starts without issues.

Then re-plug one at a time and start MCE.

But I'm more inclined to think these seemingly random crashes (works sometimes) are the result of going very low on C: drive space.

You should always keep at least 1.5 times (ideally 2 times) the amount of installed RAM as free space on C: or Windows will struggle to perform correctly as it needs to create temporary files now and then, not to mention hurting performance as it takes longer to locate those available free clusters on C: drive, since many would be busy.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had other "Gremlins" going on.

Normally, when Windows UAC is disabled, you can install MCE to any other drive.

Just don't use those "clever" hacks posted on the net which suggest you can disable UAC "completely".

It's not like Microsoft can't be aware of that. And I suspect in those cases, it would enforce even more restrictions, so that on the surface it appears as if UAC is completely disabled, whgn actually it isn't.

MCE installation, takes about 800 MB space on C:

When all 10 recorded human voices are installed, it can grow to about 2 GB maximum.

There are ways to recover disk space...

Right-click C: drive and select "Properties"

In new Window, click "Clean-up"

You will then be given the chance to see whether you have gigabytes of temporary files you could delete.

Some installers save a copy of the installer to C:\ProgramData\ folder.

For instance, MCE which uses Microsoft installer technology would have the installer there, just in case you delete a file by accident, in which case it does an aiuto-repair on any MCE related file deemed essential. That one is only about 800 MB, but others like P3D installers, could gobble up to 12 GB

You can delete those files safely. Only downside, to re-install, you would need the original installer. Can't do a repair.