Sign in to follow this  
CFIJose

V-Tail Bonanza by A2A

This will be a Must Buy for me, as I've flown in a V-Tail under VFR and IFR.  A good friend had one.  And yes, it can fly like a warbird.  My plane of choice now is the Carenado V-Tail, which is Exactly like the one I've flown in.  I hope they have the wood panel and chrome.

Edited by denali

16 hours ago, DJJose said:

The "V-tail doctor killer" due to its unstable lateral axis. The downward force is non existent on this airplane and it's unforgiving. Mess up on this one and it could be the last time you mess up. :biggrin:

I thought Mooneys were the Doctor Killers?

Richard Collins, stated this in an article published in Air Facts in 2012. Pretty much sums it up!

"The airplane had light and delightful control forces and while it was stable in pitch it was less so in roll. If a pilot was going to hand-fly in clouds he had to be both good and attentive. Left to its own devices, a V-tail would be in a spiral dive in a heartbeat. A VFR pilot in clouds was almost autodead."

Cheers

Martin

15 minutes ago, MartinRex007 said:

Richard Collins, stated this in an article published in Air Facts in 2012. Pretty much sums it up!

"The airplane had light and delightful control forces and while it was stable in pitch it was less so in roll. If a pilot was going to hand-fly in clouds he had to be both good and attentive. Left to its own devices, a V-tail would be in a spiral dive in a heartbeat. A VFR pilot in clouds was almost autodead."

Cheers

Martin

Good thing when it happened to me I was in the Cherokee!

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

5 hours ago, denali said:

I thought Mooneys were the Doctor Killers?

I dont think so, iirc from my GA days I thought it was Bonanzas that were the "Dr Killer"... I have been seriously thinking about getting back into GA (I owned a M20J for a few years) and started investigating B35 ownership (need to make sure I can find a good plane for my budget), I am really looking forward to A2A release of this wonderful aircraft!

John

The V-tail certainly has some unique handling characteristics, but as much as anything the rep came from it being a desirable, high-performance step-up plane that was often being purchased by users with more money than flight-time and training.  And of course the V-tail just naturally lent itself to the ominous sounding sobriquet of "fork-tailed".  Thus the "Fork-tailed Dr. Killer" legend was born.  I ended up purchasing my Piper Turbo Arrow IV from an MD who was selling it to buy a V35, but many were making a far bigger jump when they bought their V-tails.

I'm also very-much interested in what A2A does with this one.  I have the Carenado with the "optional" Bernt Stolle FDE which isn't bad, but it's dated at best and I rarely fly it.  My first hour of logged instruction came in a V35B.  The owner was a casual friend and CFI who knew I was about to jump into training so he offered to take me up and give me some initial flight instruction in his plane before I started my program with a local flight school.  Sure made the 152s I finished my training in seem slow, small and primitive. 

Say what you will about the V-tail, but the V35's handling will put a smile on almost anyone's face.  If A2A can come close to duplicating that feel, I'll be a happy simmer.

Scott

On 4/8/2018 at 6:55 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

I never flew one, but I remember it was nicknamed the "Doctor Killer" because if its flight characteristics. It's an interesting choice on the part of A2A.

CG is affected by how the pilot loads the aircraft. A forward cg is better than an aft cg. You will have a hard time flaring properly or recovering from a stall if you don't load within the specified cg limits. Either way the airplane becomes less stable, but because you're dealing with a v-tail, it's even more dangerous.

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the A2A version as it seems like the V tail has some interesting characteristics.

Since I'm a P3dv4-Professional owner I've decided not to purchase the A2A Bonanza. 😞

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

21 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Since I'm a P3dv4-Professional owner I've decided not to purchase the A2A Bonanza. 😞

And why is that? They do offer a "Professional" version.

Opening up an old thread just to announce you are not going to buy it is a waste of time.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors