Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Removing haze in xplane 11

Hi im sure this has already been solved but my playing around has so far failed

I've tried extending visability out to 100sm,no clouds and time of day and month but externally from the flight windows things still look as if im flying through  light fog

Have i missed a setting or is there something i need to download/change

Thanks

Pete Little

Personally I think you are biased by FSX/P3D’s clear weather, IMO XP11 depicts it much more true to reality. But if this is not to your taste, try “fog be gone” , a flywithlua script you can download from the .org . 

• Like 1

Default XP11 is way too hazy compared to most real world conditions outside of bad weather.

The simple way to get rid of it is with the art controls and fog be gone. Set it to like 0.5 instead of 1.0. If you turn it off too much, you'll get weird transitions at the horizon (that were previously covered by the haze).

many thanks for the reply

not biased at all but I do think x-plane too much, and p3d probably not enough however I've been through the entire utilities folder on .org and there is no file called  fog be gone.

I've tried it with both spaces and as one word but nothing  I've also ended up going through each page individually 

has it been removed or moved?

thanks 

Pete Little

Sorry, not a real file, as it turns out, but a dataref you can change, I was not at my pc when I wrote this.

The easiest way I found to maintain datarefs is by using FlyWithLua. In short: 

If you want to do this just create a text file named "fog_be_gone.txt" then add the string

"set("sim/private/controls/fog/fog_be_gone", 0.2)"

then save and rename as "fog_be_gone.lua" and copy to your \X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts folder. Note you have to have FlyWithLua installed.

If you prefer a different level of haze/fog just change the value in the script, suggest values from 0.1 to 0.5 (the higher the value the more fog/haze).

See full explanation here: 

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/124546-haze-issue-solved/

If you haven't already, download FlyWithLua complete and unpack it in your scripts folder:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/38445-flywithlua-complete-edition-for-x-plane-11-windows-linux-mac-os-x-version/

I recommend you take your time to read the  basic installation instruction ...

1 hour ago, mazelda said:

I've tried it with both spaces and as one word but nothing  I've also ended up going through each page individually 

has it been removed or moved?

thanks 

Haha, I did exactly the same yesterday, looking for this mysterious "Fog be gone" file at the org, and also trailed through all of the utility downloads!   I was even starting to wonder whether the org's search engine was broken! :biggrin:

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Will they remove fog in x-plane 11 soon?  I think it looks odd.  What is the purpose of fog on a bright and sunny day?  Is it to cover up something?  

Edited by Heathrow to Dublin

21 minutes ago, Heathrow to Dublin said:

Will they remove fog in x-plane 11 soon?  I think it looks odd.  What is the purpose of fog on a bright and sunny day?  Is it to cover up something?  

It is not fog, it is haze, from wikipedia: 

Haze is traditionally an atmospheric phenomenon in which dust, smoke, and other dry particulates obscure the clarity of the sky. The World Meteorological Organization manual of codes includes a classification of horizontal obscuration into categories of fog, ice fog, steam fog, mist, haze, smoke, volcanic ash, dust, sand, and snow.[1] Sources for haze particles include farming (ploughing in dry weather), traffic, industry, and wildfires.

Seen from afar (e.g. an approaching airplane) and depending on the direction of view with respect to the Sun, haze may appear brownish or bluish, while mist tends to be bluish grey. Whereas haze often is thought of as a phenomenon of dry air, mist formation is a phenomenon of humid air. However, haze particles may act as condensation nuclei for the subsequent formation of mist droplets; such forms of haze are known as "wet haze."

In meteorological literature, the word haze is generally used to denote visibility-reducing aerosols of the wet type. Such aerosols commonly arise from complex chemical reactions that occur as sulfur dioxide gases emitted during combustion are converted into small droplets of sulfuric acid. The reactions are enhanced in the presence of sunlight, high relative humidity, and stagnant air flow. A small component of wet-haze aerosols appear to be derived from compounds released by trees, such as terpenes. For all these reasons, wet haze tends to be primarily a warm-season phenomenon. Large areas of haze covering many thousands of kilometers may be produced under favorable conditions each summer.

So no, "they" are not going to remove it. Some believe it is overdone, others believe it is much more true to live. If you don't like it, you can play with the dataref to make it more or less pronounced. Another option is to use replacement textures for the sky, there are several on the .org, but the results are not always optimal for the different weather types.

On a clear hot day in sunny Provence in France, the haze is much less then for example on a similar day in Seatle. 

For what it's worth, I believe it is spot on, for the regions I usually fly (western Europe). And yes, I do know what the world looks like from above. It is rare you can see houses and roads miles away.

Edited by jh71
  • Like 1

Sorry, what do you mean ? I tried to answer your question, and to offer alternatives, if you chose to do so. My setup is the best for my taste, it is not necessarily the same what you want.

The haze effect is coded in the sim, because Laminar Research believes it is an active component of the air variables, and it will remain. It is not there to cover something up.

• Like 1

Go to the Developer's blog https://developer.x-plane.com/, look at the top of the page and find Scenery editors (I think - something close), download Data Ref Editor.  Install as instructed and open the second line (Scenery) from the plug-ins drop down.  Scroll down to fog_be_gone and set the number to whatever you want.  Default is 1.00000.  I find 0.20000 to 0.50000 to be about right.  There is a fly with lua script that will hold your setting so you don't have to reset it at every start.

John

Edited by Old_As_Dirt

John Wingold

On 4/9/2018 at 10:09 AM, jh71 said:

Personally I think you are biased by FSX/P3D’s clear weather, IMO XP11 depicts it much more true to reality. But if this is not to your taste, try “fog be gone” , a flywithlua script you can download from the .org . 

I agree, one of Xplane's most beautiful aspects is its sky rendering, which I find extremely realistic which, since I added the Aerobask Eclipse, make flight at any altitude look very real, even in the pristine desert climate I live at in Arizona.  I have flown enough as a commercial pax and as a Light Sport and Trike student to testify to how amazing Xplane's sky colors look.  P3D can be set up with just the right amount of haze depending on what day of the week one chooses, since the sky colors vary in every version of FSX since FS9.  But I find myself flying Xplane11 more than P3D now, there are so many hidden gems in the simulator, like its replay mode that can record a two hour flight and save it, something P3D cannot do and may never do since it is oriented more towards the student and pro pilot (with me being a student pilot with about ten hours under my belt).  I cannot recommend Xplane highly enough for its easy ability to add photoscenery with Ortho4XP, its landclass rendering, its autogen rendering, its flight dynamics and its growing suite of add-on aircraft since Carenado, Aerobask and others support the platform.  Add to that very fluid graphics even on my modest system (with my weak link I thought was just 3GB Vram on my graphics card).  Xplane11.11 has also never bombed on me unless I leave it running while opening up a web browser, so I just pause the sim, when I am on the web and get right back to it.  With the GEForce video record feature I can record seamless videos of my flights in action (I like the GEForce better because youtube supports sound with the videos it captures).  Just pressing the hotkey Alt+F9 launches a recording and hitting the hotkey again stops the recording.

John

• Like 2

As a complete newbie (soon) to XP, I have only used the demo , but hope to install it very soon. I like the haze, but like others here, I do think it is slightly overdone. I would want to keep it, but have an option to reduce it slightly, more to my own tastes.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Perhaps I should clarify what i'm terming as "haze" and when i say for me it's too much.

Others on here are saying that the sky looks much more authentic to real world conditions in xplane, but i'm not really refering to this as much as when looking  downward, at the ground from anything above 3 thousand feet on a clear day and no weather, the ground has a washed out "haze" appearence which I find to be unrealistic to the real world

Pete Little

Another issue with the haze isn't just the aesthetics, but a practical matter of runway visibility.  

If the METAR says visibility is 10 miles, and the slider in X-Plane's weather menu is set to 10 miles, then I expect to see the runway when I'm 10 miles away (allowing for statute/nautical conversion and angle of height above ground). 

Last time I tested this, which wasn't recently, the haze doesn't correspond that way. Runways are buried in the hazy soup when they should be visible according to the METAR. Unless this has been changed recently, that's the main indicator that the haze effect is overdone. At least Laminar did finally expose the art dataref so we can adjust it with a LUA script, or several of the available anti-haze plugins available.

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor