Sign in to follow this  
bluesman1

Dome light Switch Upper Overhead Panel

I have the Flight Deck Solutions Multi Radio and Xponder for my 737 NGX. The radios have back lighted button and they look great when lighted.

The problem is in order to turn on the back lights for the radios I have to turn on the dome light located on the upper overhead panel. Its a strange

way to turn on the back lights and seems kind of counter intuitive to me. Not sure why FDS put it there but there it is. the light casts

a strange light over the MIP giving it a weird look especially dunning night flights. My question is there a way to turn off the light or turn it down so 

far that it can not be detected? This way I can have the radios back lighted all the time. 

Thanks Mike Stout

Edited by bluesman1
more info needed

4 hours ago, bluesman1 said:

I have the Flight Deck Solutions Multi Radio and Xponder for my 737 NGX. The radios have back lighted button and they look great when lighted.

The problem is in order to turn on the back lights for the radios I have to turn on the dome light located on the upper overhead panel. Its a strange

way to turn on the back lights and seems kind of counter intuitive to me. Not sure why FDS put it there but there it is. the light casts

a strange light over the MIP giving it a weird look especially dunning night flights. My question is there a way to turn off the light or turn it down so 

far that it can not be detected? This way I can have the radios back lighted all the time. 

Thanks Mike Stout

Mike,

The dome light has 3 available settings, OFF, Bright and dim. You can't change the intensity of the dome light manually besides the predetermined values as per switch position. Have you contacted FDS if there is a way to use a different switch?

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I first contacted FDS and asked them if it was possible to move the back lighting to another location and gave them a good

place for it. The same location that turns on the back lighting for the MIP which is also the place where my Virtual Avionics EFIS and MCP back lights are located.

As good as FDS is and I am still buying hardware from them, they gave me a pretty lame excuse why it can't be move. They told me I should check with PMDG.

So I thought I would give you guys a try and see if there is a config file somewhere where I can turn down the values on the dome light.

Thanks again for you help......I fly the 737 NGX exclusively for United Virtual and think what you guys is a marvel..

Mike

3 hours ago, bluesman1 said:

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I first contacted FDS and asked them if it was possible to move the back lighting to another location and gave them a good

place for it. The same location that turns on the back lighting for the MIP which is also the place where my Virtual Avionics EFIS and MCP back lights are located.

As good as FDS is and I am still buying hardware from them, they gave me a pretty lame excuse why it can't be move. They told me I should check with PMDG.

So I thought I would give you guys a try and see if there is a config file somewhere where I can turn down the values on the dome light.

Thanks again for you help......I fly the 737 NGX exclusively for United Virtual and think what you guys is a marvel..

Mike

Mike,

I am not sure why they told you to contact us, That's is their code determining what to use to turn on the back light and there is nothing we can do to change this. I relay find it strange to use the dome light switch

Chris Makris

Thanks again for getting back to me. I thought if there was a config file for the dome light I could change the value so the switch would not 

turn on the dome light but would turn the radio back light. Just kind of a backward way of getting my back light to come on and still have dark

environment in the cockpit. I thank you for your time....

Mike

I found a couple of config files that might fix the problem but I can't change them without permission from 

the owner (PMDG). Is there a way to get permission so I can see if this does the trick?....

Thanks...   Mike

3 hours ago, bluesman1 said:

I found a couple of config files that might fix the problem but I can't change them without permission from 

the owner (PMDG). Is there a way to get permission so I can see if this does the trick?....

Thanks...   Mike

Mike,

Sent us a ticket via the support portal (support.precisionmanuals.com) with all the details to take a look at it.

Chris Makris