Sign in to follow this  
Jarnie

All aircraft pull to left or right during takeoff

I have a X-Plane 10

No matter which aircraft I use they all either veer to the left or right during taxi and takeoff requiring opposite movement of joystick to correct.

At first I wondered was it due to torque effect as I was using the Cessna 172 (single engine prop which veered to the left) but even selecting a twin engined prop or even multi engined jet aircraft they too veered (to the right not left as with the Cessna).

I checked the wind setting thinking that perhaps it was caused by cross wind but the wind setting was 0 knots.

I have set up my joystick and centered and clocked on the "center joystick and click here"

What could be causing this or is there something I am not doing.

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

Hi Jarnie,

to rule out any interference by other joystick axis I would go to the "DATA OUT" tab and click the leftmost box for all "joystick deflection". Also do the same for "atmosphere". Now you can see the deflection of all your joystick axis and also the wind that is acting on the aircraft.

My money would be on either a joystick axis being assigned (and not properly calibrated) to differential braking or nosewheel steering, or wind affecting your aircraft that you are not aware of (i.e. a wind at 30.000 feet will propagate all the way down to the surface in X-Plane).

You can also fly one of the jets to rule out any torque effects from propeller driven planes.

Good luck, Jan

Thanks Janov,

Yes I tried a multi-engined aircraft to rule out any torque effect from propellor driven planes but it still veered off but to the right and not the left.

NOTE that this veering only seems to happen under power, As soon as the throttle is closed the plan taxis in a straight line. That is why I tried a jet aircraft as I considered it to be caused by torque.

This veering doesn't seem to happen once the aircraft is airborne which made me think it wasn't caused by wind.

I have only just installed X-plane so still 'feeling my way' although I am very very familiar with FSX.

I have gone through the procedure to calibate my joystick.

I don't have any special key assignments set up.

Looking from an outside view the nosewheel seems to be pointing straight ahead BUT even a small change to the rudder/nosewheel causes a squealing tire sound.

Maybe it is differential braking but how do I check if one brake is partly on.

I don't understand "go to the "DATA OUT" tab and click the leftmost box for all "joystick deflection". Also do the same for "atmosphere".

Thanks

John

John

26 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

I don't understand "go to the "DATA OUT" tab and click the leftmost box for all "joystick deflection". Also do the same for "atmosphere".

Try this:

1) In the initial XP screen, go to "Settings".

2) Go to the "Data Output" tab.

3) Check the first button ("Show in Cockpit") for the following 4 entries: "Weather", "Flight controls aileron/elevator/rudder", "Gear & brakes", "Engine thrust".

4) Now select a jet engine aircraft and start the takeoff roll, letting it veer.

5) Pause XP.

6) In the data output at the top right of the screen, check that the wind speed and direction is zero, that aileron, elevator, rudder and nosewheel deflection is zero, that lbrak and rbrak (left and right brakes) are at zero, and that the left and right engine thrust are the same.

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thanks,

I am wondering if the demo version allows you to do what you explain (I am evaluating to see if I should fork out dollars on ,yes, the previous version).

I select SETTINGS and the only tab similar is labelled "Data Input & Output" which I select and a screen displays a new 'window' with the following tabs across the top - Data Set, Data See, Dataref-Out, Flight Test and then Enable Internet, Disk File, Graphical, Cockpit Display and all are 'ticked'

John

Oh sorry, I missed that you are using X-Plane 10 and not X-Plane 11. xP 11 is much better, have you tried its demo instead of 10?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Had a similar problem  pulling to the left.  No matter how many times i calibrated, the solution for me was taking the joystick apart and cleaning . putting it back together and making sure everything was tight, it worked! 

Thanks but I think that I have worked out what is causing the veering.

With the Cessna I'm not sure but think that it is probably due to single prop engine torque effect.

With the twin prop (King Air) I noticed that when I open the throttle (using the throttle lever on my joystick) only the left engine increases RPM and torque. I should have noticed this before sorry. I assumed that the throttles on both engines would automatically be 'linked' to the single throttle lever on my joystick as it is with FSX - yes I know I have to start thinking xp and not fsx.

So where do I go to set up for a single throttle lever?

BTW I have tried setting "notify me of replies" to both ON and OFF (green tick and grey X) and I still don't get an email when there is a reply. I have my correct email address set up.

Thanks

John

33 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

Thanks but I think that I have worked out what is causing the veering.

With the Cessna I'm not sure but think that it is probably due to single prop engine torque effect.

With the twin prop (King Air) I noticed that when I open the throttle (using the throttle lever on my joystick) only the left engine increases RPM and torque. I should have noticed this before sorry. I assumed that the throttles on both engines would automatically be 'linked' to the single throttle lever on my joystick as it is with FSX - yes I know I have to start thinking xp and not fsx.

So how do I setup to use a single throttle (quadrant) with multi engines so that each engine's throttle is controlled by the single joystick quadrant? I had a look in the user guide/manual and also tried 'Googling' the question without success.

BTW I have tried setting "notify me of replies" to both ON and OFF (green tick and grey X) and I still don't get an email when there is a reply. I have my correct email address set up.

Thanks

John

In the "Joystick & Equipment" screen, make sure the relevant axis is set to "throttle", not "throttle 1" or other functions.

Thanks

That fixed it.

I should have been more observant - yes it was set to throttle 1 instead of just throttle. I probably incorrectly assumed that the software 'observed' that I didn't have multiple throttle quadrants or defaulted to a single throttle.

John