Sign in to follow this  
WarpD

A Concern...

Good to hear you all have not been visiting some of the other flightsim sites like flyaway and flightsim.  They have been doing this for a long, long time and they even have more Sources.  We thought we would try it.  If you get a virus from an advertiser (and you will not), you should contact AdChoices who puts them up for us based on what you might be interested in.  Only you get to see a particular ad.  Not everyone sees the same thing.  If you click on the small arrow in the upper right corner of an ad, it will provide more information about this new feature at AVSIM that provides AVSIM with money.  You can also send a complaint to the advertiser whose ad you saw.

@Britfrog - Surely you jest.  If your favorite motorcycle shop went out of business it was not because of these Google ads.  Almost every website has this method of advertising on their respective site. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

It is entirely possible for an "ad" to push a trojan/virus down onto a user's computer.  I have seen where ads being offered by AdChoice sits there and cycles through literally hundreds of ads in seconds.  There is a reason I have an ad blocker... and it's honestly not because I find ads annoying.  I generally don't.

The ads I saw were for known trojans.  Had someone been duped into selecting them, it would have no ended well.  That's why I brought it up.  Not because there are ads, but because AdChoice really doesn't screen the ads of their clientele very well.  After all, they get paid and they're not liable for actions of said third-party.  Since I brought that ad up, I have not seen it since... so, maybe it got pulled?

Ads... I can handle... ads that offer up trojans... not so much.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ed,

I appreciate your concern but you can opt out or delete an ad (in some cases by click on the 'X' in the upper right corner on the ad) and also send AdChoices a message.  Placing these ads that might be of interest to users is being done all over the Internet.  Why is AVSIM being singled out as being evil for simply trying to make more money like they are on almost every website in the USA?  FlightSim.com has had this for a couple of years now and I see no complaints there. None of the ads you see will most likely not be seen by other members.  I have clicked on most of the ads and it takes me to the companies website.  The more people click on the ads, the more revenue AVSIM will get.

In any case, the ads go away and a new one is placed on the site usually when you sign out and then sign back in.  They may be there for one hour, five hours, or days.  I'm not exactly sure how often they change or why but mine change frequently. I am positive AdChoices AND Google screen these ads and your anti-virus or malware program is giving you "false positives" (this is how anti-virus and malware programs stay in business) (really!!).  AVSIM also screens for viruses/malware.  I have yet to see a hit by Windows Defender.  I had Malwarebytes Professional installed but it showed too many false hits (not from ads) so I uninstalled it.  For instance, they consider a program that also screens for malware to be a threat to my system and removes elements of the program (I'm talking about Advanced System Care)(Microsoft is going to do the same thing in a future Windows Update to get rid of as many competitors as possible).  There are some anti-virus and anti-malware programs that are over-zealous in their quest to identify threats and we cannot shut down something just because one person got notified the ad was a virus.  At least your anti-virus/malware program identified the threat, notified you of the threat and removed it for you and that's the reason why we have anti-virus/malware programs.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 21/04/2018 at 6:56 AM, rjfry said:

I read about year ago on tomshardware to be careful when downloading CC cleaner use a trusted web site as you may get more than just CC cleaner.  

I’ve been using the free version of CCleaner for years and have never seen anything untoward when using it. I always download from the official site or FileHippo. I sometimes need to deselect the option to install Chrome as I detest the way it’s pushed by all and sundry. Mozilla is fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve been using the free version of CCleaner for years and have never seen anything untoward when using it. I always download from the official site or FileHippo. I sometimes need to deselect the option to install Chrome as I detest the way it’s pushed by all and sundry. Mozilla is fine.

I use CCleaner but sometimes you need to be careful were you get it the hacks know PC users like free software, it`s not CCleaner that's the problem but what they attaché to the download, much like some phone apps even google don`t guarantee apps downloaded on android made by third party`s.  

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

10 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Why is AVSIM being singled out as being evil for simply trying to make more money like they are on almost every website in the USA?

I think you misunderstand.  I have no issue with ads displaying... I have issue with malicious ads displaying.  Would you prefer I not notify you that there are malicious ads being posted on AVSIM pages?

I'm not trying to say the ads need to go, I am saying that there are ads being displayed that need to be brought to the attention of AdChoice as being a potential threat to visitors to your weibsite... and that's something only a client of AdChoice can legitimately take issue with.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

8 hours ago, rjfry said:

I use CCleaner but sometimes you need to be careful were you get it the hacks know PC users like free software, it`s not CCleaner that's the problem but what they attaché to the download, much like some phone apps even google don`t guarantee apps downloaded on android made by third party`s.  

CCLeaner itself advises when a new version is available and if you click the link in the program it takes you to ccleaner.com. I've not included the www as it's probably breaking AvSim rules.

The only time people need to be aware is when they are downloading it the first time and click on the first link in a search engine results without checking the source.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

7 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

CCLeaner itself advises when a new version is available and if you click the link in the program it takes you to ccleaner.com. I've not included the www as it's probably breaking AvSim rules.

The only time people need to be aware is when they are downloading it the first time and click on the first link in a search engine results without checking the source.

I totally agree it`s the new user first time downloader that`s at risk when downloading free software, as for Avsim I don't have a problem today jet2holidays at advertising holidays, I'm one of the users that uses payware AV that most here think is a waste of money, been using it for some 15 years my choice never had a problem run windows XP long past it sell by date and support, touch wood not had to reinstall for any scam ware or virus, 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 hours ago, WarpD said:

Would you prefer I not notify you that there are malicious ads being posted on AVSIM pages?

Microsoft Edge tries to be malicious and hijack browsers too.  When you click on the ad you do not get a virus or malware.  Yes, it will probably hijack your browser but only if you buy it and install it.  Why Malwarebytes is getting into the consumer business is beyond me!  If I owned the company they are saying has malicious software, I would be suing.  Sorry you got that particular ad Ed.  Hopefully there will be no more consumer recommendations from Malwarebytes!

Submit News to AVSIM