Sign in to follow this  
him225

Is P3D a most complete consumer simulator?

Would it be the most in terms of offering fidelity, expansiveness and content for any kind of consumer level simulator in general or are there others that have the same extent of completeness and depth/coverage to what they simulate?

P3D is not a consumer simulator.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

ok correct basically I had FSX in mind since it is based on that, lets say something that is available to end users for personal learning practicing etc. For consumer level, is there any other that comes close to FSX?

XP11 is in my opinion a better, more compelling platform. Yes, it is behind in terms of high-end addons (esp. large jets), but things are catching up quickly. In the last year or so the evolution has been remarkable and for someone just beginning in the hobby, there is no better option. Tons of high-quality content available for free and very, very good out-of-the box experience.

Personally, I use almost all available simulators, and I still enjoy P3D, but XP11 has now become my go-to sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Your question is quite generic, because each user has different priorities with regard to the sim features that are of interest for him.

But in terms of features like ATC, AI, weather & season effects, I think P3D is still the most complete. Although there are addons for XP that address those areas, but you will still have a somewhat more complete "package" in P3D.

Although as GCBraun said, XP11 is making great strides, and has its own strong points as well.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I'm moving towards more specific platforms again.

Generic is good, but can't beat dedicated platforms like I have with Condorsoaring v2 for my armchair soaring, ELITE IFR for playing being IFR-rated and wanting to get proficient ...

I bought Aerowinx PSX because I knew nothing could beat that one in the simulation of a 744 ( although it's graphical limitations for the World views, even me not being that much exigent in that area, somehow put me apart ... )

For the Airbus, I have had pretty much everything available for fs9, FSx, XP, but am seriously considering Airlinetools A32x....

For the flight dynamics, I did a long ( 2,5 yr ) incursion in military flightsims, first by the hand of DCS World, then IL2 Battle of... but I really hate War and Combat aviation although I admire the quality and fluidity of these sims... 

Sorry for not answering your OP, and I believe Murmur nailed it on his post just above, but it's really a complex question IMO, as it depends on a worth of factors, including the using you plan to give to your sim.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I`d agree, the question is too generic.

It`s a bit similar if a secretary asks, "is my Windows a complete office program". Well, in some way it is, you can learn how to install a printer, use a basic text editor to format texts and so on. But if you want it more professional, you need to buy additional office software.

Similar to the flight simulators, be it P3D, XPlane or Aerofly. All give you a basic idea about flying. If you want it more professional, then you need to buy Addons. Many users replace everything, airplanes, scenery, weather programs, ATC, AI. In some regard P3D and XPlane are also just "flight sim operating systems".

So it all depends what you mean with learning. Just the basics, or something specific ?

Edited by mikealpha

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080

7 hours ago, GCBraun said:

XP11 is in my opinion a better, more compelling platform. Yes, it is behind in terms of high-end addons (esp. large jets), but things are catching up quickly. In the last year or so the evolution has been remarkable and for someone just beginning in the hobby, there is no better option. Tons of high-quality content available for free and very, very good out-of-the box experience.

Personally, I use almost all available simulators, and I still enjoy P3D, but XP11 has now become my go-to sim.

Same here, I tend to fly Xplane11 more especially now that I have the fine Aerobask Eclipse.  I like P3D for my add-on Carenado aircraft, especially their B200, C550 and Malibu Mirrage followed by Alabeo's DA40, DA42 and Cessna 177.   Both sims I find immersive in their own ways but Xplane11 edges out P3D a little, more interesting weather options, better rudder and crosswind simulation, more realistic representation of P Factor and torque in my opinion and much more realistic landings, easier to maintain perspective and hit the centerline with the possible exception of Carenado's C550 and Malibu Mirage.  I do consider both consumer sims, P3D especially if the consumer is a student pilot or pilot, P3D is not really a gaming platform and neither is Xplane11.  Both are sims if you are serious about the art and beauty of flight.  If you like to replay your flights and watch landings from different angles Xplane11 beats any sim out there.  You can save a good replay and play it back later up to two hours of flight.

John

• Upvote 1

would also like to hear about simulators other than flight simulators, are there any that offer similar in their area or exceed what we are used to in FS?

1 hour ago, him225 said:

would also like to hear about simulators other than flight simulators, are there any that offer similar in their area or exceed what we are used to in FS?

No Limits Coaster 2 is an amazing sim, especially if you like the feeling of flight.  It has wonderful default coasters and 100's of great freeware add-ons.

John

http://www.nolimitscoaster.com/

Not sure what you mean by "consumer" simulator. GCBraun has responded that P3D is not a consumer simulator, but  in a later response he discusses the advantages of P3D and XPlane as if they are in similar categories. P3D is a software program and can be purchased by consumers as can other software program available for purchase by the public. I think the distinction is that P3D is for training and learning, not entertainment. Surely XPlane also is more than an "entertainment" program. If your goal is to use a simulator to learn and experience flying, then I certainly would not omit P3Dv4 as a candidate. It certainly is far superior to FSX. Don't own XPlane, so can't comment on it. And as others have observed, it's not just the basic simulation program that needs to be considered. No matter what program you get, the addons for scenery and aircraft will make it what you really need. In my opinion, P3D and FSX are very poor without quality scenery and aircraft addons.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

Not sure what you mean by "consumer" simulator. GCBraun has responded that P3D is not a consumer simulator, but  in a later response he discusses the advantages of P3D and XPlane as if they are in similar categories. P3D is a software program and can be purchased by consumers as can other software program available for purchase by the public. I think the distinction is that P3D is for training and learning, not entertainment. Surely XPlane also is more than an "entertainment" program. If your goal is to use a simulator to learn and experience flying, then I certainly would not omit P3Dv4 as a candidate. It certainly is far superior to FSX. Don't own XPlane, so can't comment on it. And as others have observed, it's not just the basic simulation program that needs to be considered. No matter what program you get, the addons for scenery and aircraft will make it what you really need. In my opinion, P3D and FSX are very poor without quality scenery and aircraft addons.

I agree, both Xplane11 and P3D are much better with aircraft and scenery add-ons.  P3D especially due to the quantity of aircraft add-ons.  Not many biz-jet add-ons for Xplane11, although I think the Aerobask Eclipse is a first rate add-on with sophisticated avionics and good Carenado like visuals.  Carenado's C550 is a quality add-on with a good VC, steam gauge avionics and as usual good visuals which is what Carenado is noted for.  The sims can be used for entertainment if one wishes, but their quality is due to their ability to have sophisticated aircraft and flight immersion.  As a Light Sport student pilot they are excellent for practice, dead reckoning over photoreal scenery and instrument practice.  As noted P3D far exceeds FSX IMHO, so does Xplane11.  I would not consider any other flightsim other than these two sims, they have the jump on the competition which is earlier in development.

John

On 12/04/2018 at 5:24 AM, jcomm said:

For the flight dynamics, I did a long ( 2,5 yr ) incursion in military flightsims, first by the hand of DCS World, then IL2 Battle of... but I really hate War and Combat aviation although I admire the quality and fluidity of these sims... 

I must agree totally with this. I run p3d,X11, and af2, but nothing compares to the handling of the aircraft in DCS.

I’ve not fired a single shot in DCS but if I just want an hour doing circuits, flying through mountains or doing aeros then DCS is my go to sim.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Interesting topic particularly as I decide what my next platform will be when I migrate from FSX. From reading and looking at screenshots it does seem that 'out of the box' the baseline XP11 has the edge over P3Dv4. However going with XP11 would mean that any addons would have to be repurchased at full price whereas if I went with P3D many of my existing addons (Orbx, Carenado etc) can used without additional cost and many more can be upgraded to P3D at reasonable discounted prices with the exception of those from a few developers such as A2A and PMDG. As one who has invested a huge amount of money on scenery, aircraft and utility addons for FSX, this will be a significant consideration for me and for this reason I am likely to go with P3D.

Bill

• Upvote 1