Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

GPU sleeping while playing P3D v4

Hello,

I've been dealing with a strange issue lately. My GTX 1080 Ti doesn't put its performance out when playing P3D v4.2. See attached picture.

https://imgur.com/a/omYwX

It doesn't even use boosted core clock and usage is around 30 %. My fps are fine in flight (36 on the screen), but it was kind of struggling at OMDB. Also Chrome is lagging (Facebook refreshing and so on).

I remember that in the past the card was being used a lot more, temperatures were up as well, fans roaring. Now it's quiet.

What could be the issue? I've got the card selected in P3D settings and I think that I have the latest drivers through Nvidia Experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

You can use Nvidia Control panel or Nvidia profile inspector - under power management mode select optimal or maximum performance. Set it for P3D, not in global driver profile.

2 minutes ago, lodestar said:

You can use Nvidia Control panel or Nvidia profile inspector - under power management mode select optimal or maximum performance. Set it for P3D, not in global driver profile.

Would this be safe to do while in-flight? 

EDIT: It was already set :( ...

Thanks.

Edited by Thomasso

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Just now, Thomasso said:

Would this be safe to do while in-flight? 

Thanks.

I belive your FS must be closed for this change to have effect

Just now, lodestar said:

I belive your FS must be closed for this change to have effect

I edited the post, it's already set. Maximum performance option.

Tomáš Pokorný

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

CPU probably maxed out.

Well, pretty much. But only the cores assigned to P3D. Is that a problem?

Tomáš Pokorný

7 hours ago, Thomasso said:

Well, pretty much. But only the cores assigned to P3D. Is that a problem?

What cores are assigned to P3D?  And what add-on programs are you using with P3D?

Greg

9 minutes ago, lownslo said:

What cores are assigned to P3D?  And what add-on programs are you using with P3D?

Greg

Cores 2-7 through Process Lasso.

Pcheew, a ton.. PMDG aircraft, airports, ORBX Global, ORBX Trees, ChasePlane, TrackIR, Active Sky 4 + ASCA, GSX, Envtex, Envshade......

Tomáš Pokorný

I agree with Slayer, if your GPU is not throttling up then you could very easily be CPU limited.  But the 4790K is still a very strong CPU, and your overclock is very good.

34 minutes ago, Thomasso said:

Cores 2-7 through Process Lasso.

An Affinity Mask (yours is 252) for P3D should be set in the sim... could you please delete the P3D AM in Process Lasso and add this to your P3D.cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=252

Also, you should make sure that add-on programs like ChasePlane, TrackIR, Active Sky 4 + ASCA, GSX are running on Cores 0 & 1 (Process Lasso works great for this task).

Another question... what are your in-sim settings for frame rate, v-sync, and triple buffering.

And the most important question... what monitor are you using (specifically, the resolution).

Thanks,

Greg

15 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I agree with Slayer, if your GPU is not throttling up then you could very easily be CPU limited.  But the 4790K is still a very strong CPU, and your overclock is very good.

An Affinity Mask (yours is 252) for P3D should be set in the sim... could you please delete the P3D AM in Process Lasso and add this to your P3D.cfg:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=252

Also, you should make sure that add-on programs like ChasePlane, TrackIR, Active Sky 4 + ASCA, GSX are running on Cores 0 & 1 (Process Lasso works great for this task).

Another question... what are your in-sim settings for frame rate, v-sync, and triple buffering.

And the most important question... what monitor are you using (specifically, the resolution).

Thanks,

Greg

I'm actually using Simstarter NG. I just noticed that I have AffinityMask=245 in the .cfg, but cores 2-7 assigned in Process Lasso. That sounds like trouble, right? I changed it to 252, will test tomorrow.

Some add-ons are running on 0-1 (TrackIR, Navigraph SimLink, ChasePlane, Active Sky, ASCA), but some are running on 2-7 (VFX Central, SODE, couatl, APController, as_audio, conhost - not sure if this one is even related to P3D). Just for reference, nVidia stuff runs on 0-7. 

Frame rate unlimited, Vsync and triple buffering ON.

Resolution is 1920x1080. It's quite old Philips 230C monitor.

As I have only 8 GB RAM, Process Lasso shows 100 % RAM load when standing on a runway with PMDG 777. That might be a problem too I reckon.

Tomáš Pokorný

Maybe you should try without AM, Simstarter NG and Process Lasso. P3Dv4 usually works better without them, in my experience(AM can be used, since you have HT on, but only to disable virtual cores)There is a possibility that AM and Process Lasso are limiting your CPU, which then bottleneck your GPU. Just give it a try

1 hour ago, Thomasso said:

I'm actually using Simstarter NG. I just noticed that I have AffinityMask=245 in the .cfg, but cores 2-7 assigned in Process Lasso. That sounds like trouble, right? I changed it to 252, will test tomorrow.

Some add-ons are running on 0-1 (TrackIR, Navigraph SimLink, ChasePlane, Active Sky, ASCA), but some are running on 2-7 (VFX Central, SODE, couatl, APController, as_audio, conhost - not sure if this one is even related to P3D). Just for reference, nVidia stuff runs on 0-7. 

Frame rate unlimited, Vsync and triple buffering ON.

Resolution is 1920x1080. It's quite old Philips 230C monitor.

As I have only 8 GB RAM, Process Lasso shows 100 % RAM load when standing on a runway with PMDG 777. That might be a problem too I reckon.

Yes, do not set the Affinity Mask in SimstarterNG or Process Lasso... only in the sim itself as I outlined above.  And an AM-245 will be troublesome given your set-up... that AM runs the first (most important) core of the sim on Core 0.  Let the add-ons run on Cores 0 & 1, while the sim can run on 2-7 (AM=252).  The highest priority should be keeping the cores used by the sim just for the sim alone... don't let anything else use cores you've assigned to the sim.

Indeed, 8GB of RAM can be limiting.  I routinely see 10-14GB Commit Charge with very little Page File hit, and I don't have nearly the add-ons running beside the sim as you.  You might think about adding another 8 GB.

The real reason your 1080Ti isn't ramping up may well be your 1920-1080 monitor.  To be blunt, the 1080Ti may very well be laughing at that monitor :biggrin:.  The GPU will have no problem feeding frames to that resolution, which means you should be able to run nice graphics settings in the sim to take advantage of your GPU's strength.  Per Beau Hollis of LM, graphics intense settings in the sim are:

- Shadows

- Dynamic Reflections

- SSAA

- Dynamic Lighting

- 3D Water (water set to ultra)

- New 3D rain/snow effects (set weather to storm theme to test)

You'll need to play with different graphics settings but you should be able to arrive at a config that will make your GPU work harder... and make for pleasing visuals.

Good luck,

Greg

13 hours ago, lodestar said:

Maybe you should try without AM, Simstarter NG and Process Lasso. P3Dv4 usually works better without them, in my experience(AM can be used, since you have HT on, but only to disable virtual cores)There is a possibility that AM and Process Lasso are limiting your CPU, which then bottleneck your GPU. Just give it a try

Well, that would mean that P3D will use all cores. I certainly don't want that... But I fixed it, see below if interested :) 

13 hours ago, lownslo said:

Yes, do not set the Affinity Mask in SimstarterNG or Process Lasso... only in the sim itself as I outlined above.  And an AM-245 will be troublesome given your set-up... that AM runs the first (most important) core of the sim on Core 0.  Let the add-ons run on Cores 0 & 1, while the sim can run on 2-7 (AM=252).  The highest priority should be keeping the cores used by the sim just for the sim alone... don't let anything else use cores you've assigned to the sim.

Indeed, 8GB of RAM can be limiting.  I routinely see 10-14GB Commit Charge with very little Page File hit, and I don't have nearly the add-ons running beside the sim as you.  You might think about adding another 8 GB.

The real reason your 1080Ti isn't ramping up may well be your 1920-1080 monitor.  To be blunt, the 1080Ti may very well be laughing at that monitor :biggrin:.  The GPU will have no problem feeding frames to that resolution, which means you should be able to run nice graphics settings in the sim to take advantage of your GPU's strength.  Per Beau Hollis of LM, graphics intense settings in the sim are:

- Shadows

- Dynamic Reflections

- SSAA

- Dynamic Lighting

- 3D Water (water set to ultra)

- New 3D rain/snow effects (set weather to storm theme to test)

You'll need to play with different graphics settings but you should be able to arrive at a config that will make your GPU work harder... and make for pleasing visuals.

Good luck,

Greg

So, I fixed the issue. It was the wrong AM, as we thought. I set it to 252 in SIMStarter NG and voilá: https://ibb.co/iZpX7S

I also set all my add-ons to cores 0-1 in Process Lasso. 

Yeah, 8 GB sucks, the RAM load is always at 100 % in-flight. Don't have spare money at the moment, but I will certainly make an investment (also waiting for the new CPUs - Ice Lake). 

So, I followed your advice and boosted all those settings to their max levels (shadows, dynamics, water etc.). Looks gorgeous and I get 30+ fps with PMDG 777 at a busy airport. Wow! :) Thanks for the tips. 

I have another issue though, I think that my CPU is overheating (peaks at 85 C -ish). I have Corsair H115i water cooling system. What could be wrong? I applied custom paste... Would it be worth to open it and check if it's applied correctly? Also would I benefit from trying to OC it higher? Say 4,8 GHz? Thank you :).

Tomáš Pokorný

P3DV4 can easily exceed 8 GB , especially with addons so your going to get a lot of slow downs and spiky FPS as your swapfile is starting to get used. Is your swapfile located on your SSD or on your HDD? If not moving it to the SSD would give some perf back because of the huge difference in transfer rates. 

I would check your performance on your water cooling before removing it from the CPU. If you do, clean it all off and put a dime size spot of heat conductive paste back on and reseat it again. Too much paste can be bad too.

Make sure your radiator is clean. I have a H115i too and the way it comes out of the box will pack the radiator with dust under the fans and you cant see it. Open Corsair LINK and make sure you have performance mode enabled too while your at it, I didn't care for the default settings, too warm.