Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Here we go again, in this endless rollercoaster ...

https://developer.x-plane.com/2018/04/lets-talk-about-cef/

But maybe it's me who am not really getting what it means after all ?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I agree Jose,

I would begin to be happy with at least a believable ATC and intelligent AI that does not constantly use flaps (up and down up and down) to assist in climb out. Until then I will never buy any add-ons for XP, not even PMDG/ORBX. I won't even bother installing any free add-ons no matter how good they are. 

.....seems like the longest waiting (for common sense/basic features) game in history.....

Laminar isn't a large company, but they have enough staff to work on "fixing the broken stuff" while at the same time finding ways to move the sim forward with new features. 

The alternative is the FSX model. Make the sim, and then freeze it in amber with no upgrades, so developers have a 100% stable platform for 12 years. Then you have tons of add-ons to choose from, and no improvements in the basic sim.

Me, I'll take the first option -- a flight sim that's constantly being improved at the basic level, with a more limited pool of developers who are able to keep up with the changes. You can't have it both ways!

• Like 5

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

For me it' ok to add things, but not the kind of things that can interfere with ongoing work, unless they're meant to fix some problem.

Should they announce that that revised turbine code is making it's way in, or that Austin finally finds time to fine tune the ground physics, or some one in the team tries to improve the weather by creating a better interface for developers to build on it, or ATC, or AI... ?

Detailed mesh editing in sub-tile dimensions like the one so many airport designers would love to be able to use ?

Maybe this one is important for VR ? I really don't know since I do not use or plan to use it anytime soon ( or late... ), but this could already mess around with, for instance an add-on gaining popularity like the FF A320 ( and maybe other ? ) who already are using it.

What's the benefit ? I'm willing to learn !

And, as a suggestion, follow the thread at the Dev Blog - some interesting comments there by developers...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Totally against this idea. Surely they have other things to spend their time on.....*Sigh*

Maybe this is to help facilitate a real world pilot using things such as Foreflight.com & Airnav.com (among many) in the cockpit?

What I understood, they found a tec to implement easily browser plugins, only to find out that at least one 3rd party is already using it and causes a conflict. So they ask that target audience how to  best implement it in the base sim. 

This a something that is requested by VR users, so they don’t have to leave vr to check snap, for example. 

so for us mere mortals of no importance. 

56 minutes ago, jcomm said:

What's the benefit ? I'm willing to learn !

Well, there are two benefits listed at the devblog link; one immediate and one idea for the future. First, it's a seamless way to take a payment and upgrade the demo to the full sim. As the link states:

"For the time being, it’s being used in one place only*: to support in-app upgrades, so that if you have the demo, you can buy the full version of X-Plane without having to go to the web site. The web view is seamless—you can’t tell by looking at the app that it’s not just part of the native X-Plane user interface."

Anything that makes it easier to buy the sim increases the user base, and that's good for all of us, yes? 

The second idea was to load online charts. I'm imagining something like a virtual iPad modeled in the cockpit, the way they're used in real-world aviation as an Electronic flightbag (EFB). Maybe Austin uses one in his Lancair, and maybe that's where the idea comes from? Or it's just something they want to support because it's become so common in real-world aviation. Having this feature embedded in the sim as part of the cockpit is more immersive than tabbing out of X-Plane to a browser window.

There may be other applications, but this seems like enough justification to me, if it can be merged smoothly enough with add-on developer use of the CEF protocols.

Edit to add: And probably for VR users as mentioned  above. But I think the two reasons I'm mentioning here are justification enough.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jcomm said:

Well,

maybe I really didn't....

It's probably a matter of security, and finding a more sound and clear way of integrating it in X-Plane ...

Hmmmm, maybe I thought too fast, and not using the whole information....

Main Simulation Rig:

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Edit to add: And probably for VR users as mentioned  above. But I think the two reasons I'm mentioning here are justification enough.

Alt-tab or extra monitor gets me around multiple open windows in normal operation. In VR, there is no such thing. To have an external map in VR, they will need to implement a way to display it in game. Thus, I think we were talking about the same thing. It would be nice to have an online chart embedded in the sim, but I imagine especially in VR. 

Agreed that the initial VR release in XP is well done and on its way to greatness, but just like in AF2 it gets old just sightseeing. The challenge of single pilot IFR in a busy realistic ATC environment (wherever/whenever we want to fly) is sorely missing in XP11. 

• Like 1

Basically the reason they focus on it now is that developers realize the big advantages of CEF. 

Right now its wild west with no rules and since a few more than FF (the currently biggest user) have anounced their own ways, Laminar wants to set rules as soon as possible so they dont get a big problem later down the line and need to suppport 30 legacy ways. 

On 4/12/2018 at 8:37 AM, jcomm said:

I am concerned about installing 11.20b now, if it means my payware would choke in its presence.  11.11 runs fine for me and what bugs it has I have not uncovered.  It sounds like plugin problems with CEF could happen and my Aerobask Eclipse uses a plugin, I would not give up that aircraft just to upgrade.  Adding CEF makes me wonder about the "if it ain't broke" issue that developers like I am deal with during beta and regression testing.  I am in no need of VR, but what entices me is that an Aerolite 103 is being included with Xplane 11.20.  I wonder, digressing here, if anyone has flown that aircraft?  Does it stay within the 103 parameters cruising at 55 knots?  Also does it work without VR? The Aerolite 103 is the only true real life factory built UL that fits within Part 103.  My friend Dennis Carley in Daland Florida, who I had the pleasure of flying a Zenair with in 2006, is the east coast distributor and factory builder of the 103 and he builds good aircraft, both LSA and Ultralights.  I am curious how that aircraft performs but if the beta has an NDA I will wait for an answer then.

Regards,

John

Edited by Cactus521

19 minutes ago, Cactus521 said:

I am concerned about installing 11.20b now, if it means my payware would choke in its presence.  11.11 runs fine for me and what bugs it has I have not uncovered.  It sounds like plugin problems with CEF could happen and my Aerobask Eclipse uses a plugin, I would not give up that aircraft just to upgrade. 

I don't think you'd have any trouble with CEF plugin conflicts. If I read the dev blog right, Laminar is currently using it only for in-sim purchase with the demo. You could always roll back to 11.11 if you do have problems.

I am in no need of VR, but what entices me is that an Aerolite 103 is being included with Xplane 11.20.  I wonder, digressing here, if anyone has flown that aircraft?  Does it stay within the 103 parameters cruising at 55 knots?  Also does it work without VR? 

The Aerolite 103 works fine without VR. I only did one brief takeoff to take a look, but it cruises right around 55 knots according to the panel gauge. Fun little aircraft.

Edited by Paraffin

Thank you, I am quite excited about having a finely modeled Ultralight in the sim.  There was once an Aerolight 103 for FS9 but it was not scaled right, it was twice the size on the runway as a normal 103.  The company that made it, good people, gave me access to their Titan Tornado source when they folded which was a great aircraft.  I updated it for FS9 and flew it often.

Spent last night and this morning reassigning my Xplane11 key controls so I could use the hat view from the keyboard, instead of the mouse.  Xplane has great key mapping functionality since my joystick is on loan to someone right now.

John