NDSWhEi.jpg?1

Edited by bills511

2 hours ago, bills511 said:

Thanks @Rafal

You're welcome, Bill.
Enjoy the DC-8! :smile:

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

Yeah - followed the development efforts on FSDeveloper for years before it went to Aerosoft - looks like a quality effort and Paul Golding was a beta tester - I'm intrigued...

Regards,

Scott

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, bills511 said:

Wow, I haven't heard that name in years since his Dreamfleet 727. If this DC-8 has his approval then I'm buying.

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Jeffg817 said:

If he is part of this project I will buy it. The 727 Paul made was better than anything that we see today for the triple-holer.

JeffG

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, duckbilled said:

I would buy this if they did the later cargo variants. I don't fly in a retro world (considered cresting one a few years back, though), and the hole I want to fill right now is something for cargo ops.

I agree that Paul's name brings a lot to the table. His 2d freeware panels for FS2002 (I think) were part of the reason I got hooked on FS. The night lighting options were amazing.

Thanks for the kind words guys, very much appreciated after all this time.  As the Dreamfleet DC-8 never became a reality, I was pleased that Michael and Mathjis at Aerosoft let me be a beta tester, albeit not the most active one either.

Michael's done a fantastic job of DC-8 and it'll will be enjoyed by anyone that liked the Dreamfleet 727, or the challenge of flying older airliners where there's a lot of work to do.

Cheers

Paul Golding

I was never able to get the engines to start ... followed the checklist ... but maybe I missed something?  I had to cheat with Ctrl+E an set the starters/fuel ON position first.  Very enjoyable aircraft to fly ... made a video answering some of the questions here (quick min mark links in the description for those wanting to get to a specific area of interest).  Sorry, I didn't use the INS ... lots of detail in the manual but I used "old school" method for autopilot (heading and alt hold) ... here is a flight from GCHI to KCLT (had a few stutters at KCLT but DL was on and everything maxed out on the graphics side with AS4 weather and a lot of UTLive traffic.  GCHI takeoff I wasn't sure it could be done, KCLT some nasty weather on arrival.  This is a very well done DC-8 at this price point.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I was never able to get the engines to start ... followed the checklist ... but maybe I missed something?  I had to cheat with Ctrl+E an set the starters/fuel ON position first.  Very enjoyable aircraft to fly ... made a video answering some of the questions here (quick min mark links in the description for those wanting to get to a specific area of interest).  Sorry, I didn't use the INS ... lots of detail in the manual but I used "old school" method for autopilot (heading and alt hold) ... here is a flight from GCHI to KCLT (had a few stutters at KCLT but DL was on and everything maxed out on the graphics side with AS4 weather and a lot of UTLive traffic.  GCHI takeoff I wasn't sure it could be done, KCLT some nasty weather on arrival.  This is a very well done DC-8 at this price point.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi,

On the Aerosoft forum there is a topic with some post about engines start problem...

Regards,

Edited by DrumsArt

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

42 minutes ago, DrumsArt said:

On the Aerosoft forum there is a topic with some post about engines start problem...

That's correct.  The problem has been narrowed down to users who have a cold and dark default flight. It will be fixed in the first update.

In the meantime there are several workarounds.  Load some other aircraft with the engines running before switching to the DC8. Or load the DC8 tutorial flight, go cold and dark and move the airport you want to start at.  Or assign a key/button to the default master battery and toggle it before starting engines. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

I've gone thru the tutorial several times (several documents provided with install) but sadly I could not get them started, I've probably missed something I just couldn't figure out what ... for example is suggest starting #3 first (in a specific order, fuel press is good, compressors off, etc.) ... but what puzzled me is the fuel shutoff is in the OFF position per checklist/tutorial until % N2 reached then slide it to fuel valve to the ON position ... Ctrl+E start process sets the engine fuel valves to On first then starts.

I found a possible solution here that I'll try out ... I've had this problem with other 3rd party aircraft (just a few, not all).  There appears to be a "state" being set by whatever "default" aircraft state I have set ... my default aircraft is "Cold and Dark" and everything OFF.  Looks like a possible work around is to assign Master Battery toggle to a controller button/module ... I'll try that.

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/131813-engines-not-starting/&do=findComment&comment=874778

Cheers, Rob.

In addition to the master battery issue, which only affects those with cold and dark default flights, I think some users have been confused by there being two sets of fuel levers/switches.  The fuel levers on the FE fuel panel should always be set to MAIN.  They are never turned off during normal operations.  The little fuel levers on the pedestal are used during engine startup and shutdown.

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

Rob, what a GREAT VIDEO!

You don't even imagine the good old memories it brought back... From the early seventies at LPPT, in the old Spectators Terrace, watching the CP Air DC-8 that used to park at a nearby slot.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Lovely,, if it was a 707 I would have it in an instant.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

On 4/13/2018 at 7:42 PM, Bobsk8 said:

Seen many DC8's in real life, never ever saw a smokeless version. 

Seems that the smoke effects file was misplaced by the installer.  Supposed to be addressed along with other known issues in the next couple of days. See this thread on the Aerosoft support forum.

Edited by Alan_A

I did one quick flight last night in the DC-8.  I didn't have time to get into the INS, which i plan to fully jump into this weekend.  Anyway, I really like this.  We have needed a P3Dv4 classic jet, and this is really great to see. 

I found that I had to really trim it properly, to allow the autopilot to hold altitude, which I believe to be accurate for this vintage of AP. 

If some smoke fx are missing (and they may be) sounds like they will be added soon from the other thread.

On landing, I noticed it float, but that was probably me, or it could be a characteristic of these aircraft -- some early jets did like to float and needed power-on landings.   I noticed on Rob's video, he floated some too, and it could be early experience with this aircraft.  I'm sure as I get familiar with my speeds vs. weights I will have things better sorted on landing.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB