Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Aerosoft Douglas DC-8 released!

FYI, v. 1.02 has been released at the Aerosoft site.  List of fixes:

XMLTools.64 installer - included

Fuselage shading error - fixed

Right side (no.2) INS not drifting - fixed

Engines not starting for some users - fixed

Marker receiver switch on audio panel missing click spot - fixed

INS Accuracy Index degrades too fast - fixed

INS Hold button not working - fixed

Missing smoke effect - fixed

• Like 2

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

On 4/16/2018 at 6:18 AM, Paul Golding said:

Thanks for the kind words guys, very much appreciated after all this time.  As the Dreamfleet DC-8 never became a reality, I was pleased that Michael and Mathjis at Aerosoft let me be a beta tester, albeit not the most active one either.

Michael's done a fantastic job of DC-8 and it'll will be enjoyed by anyone that liked the Dreamfleet 727, or the challenge of flying older airliners where there's a lot of work to do.

Wow, long time since I've seen Paul's name around this community.  It was a sad day when Dreamfleet went away.  I would pay a lot of money to have the three holder in p3d.   What a wonderful airplane it was. 

I finally completed my first flight with this plane. Wow, what a challenge. In my first attempt, I messed up pressurization - I was paying attention, but I hadn't fully figured out how to make it work. On my second attempt, I moved a tad too early - the INS wasn't done with aligning yet. On the third attempt, I got it almost perfectly done. I only lost one engine on final approach because I forgot to switch on the fuel booster again, after going from aux to main tank.

This plane is quite a hand full, but extremely rewarding when you master it. Old jets are generally more interesting to fly, but in this one the normal operations are modelled in great detail. Highly recommended!

Peter

Im running the aerosoft updater but says there are no available updates even though 1.0 is still installed. Any ideas?

The aircraft is complex and it will take a while for anyone to learn the systems.  But it will seem easy enough once you get used to how everything works. 

For pressurisation, you need to have the low pressure manifold (bleed air) switches to LOW before you take off and at least two cabin compressors on also before takeoff (the second two can go on when convenient after rotation).  The only other thing to do, again before takeoff, is to dial in your cruise altitude using the little ALT knob on the left of the two cabin pressure gauges.  The pressurisation system will then function automatically until it's time to descend. All you have to do then is dial in the field altitude. 

With the fuel management I'm not completely sure what went wrong, but it sounds like you were using the tank selector levers. For normal operations, these (aside from the centre ones) should not be touched at any time.  They are big and in your face and hard not to start messing with, but they are aren't for normal flight.  It's also very easy to shut down and engine by mistake if you start clicking on them. Each engine should always be fed by its main tank.

The fuel transfers that you need to make from the alt to main tanks are done with the aux boost pumps switches and the main tank fill switches - the latter being at the very bottom of the fuel panel. If the flight is too long to carry all the fuel in the main tanks, you will need to transfer from the aux to main tanks and if you don't, at some point your engines will start shutting down for lack of fuel. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

3 minutes ago, Litmoose said:

Im running the aerosoft updater but says there are no available updates even though 1.0 is still installed. Any ideas?

I'm not sure if the updater is supposed to work with this aircraft or not. Best to post the Aerosoft forum where Mathijs will be able to tell you. 

Michael Cependa

Developer Aerosoft DC-8

49 minutes ago, Michael Cependa said:

[1] For pressurisation, you need to have the low pressure manifold (bleed air) switches to LOW before you take off and at least two cabin compressors on also before takeoff.

[2] With the fuel management I'm not completely sure what went wrong, but it sounds like you were using the tank selector levers. For normal operations, these (aside from the centre ones) should not be touched at any time.  They are big and in your face and hard not to start messing with, but they are aren't for normal flight.  It's also very easy to shut down and engine by mistake if you start clicking on them. Each engine should always be fed by its main tank.

The fuel transfers that you need to make from the alt to main tanks are done with the aux boost pumps switches and the main tank fill switches - the latter being at the very bottom of the fuel panel. If the flight is too long to carry all the fuel in the main tanks, you will need to transfer from the aux to main tanks and if you don't, at some point your engines will start shutting down for lack of fuel. 

Hi Michael,

thanks for the explanations.

[1] I think I had bleed air on high. 

[2] I used both the levers and the aux boost pumps for tank 1 and 4. It worked well during flight, but when I went back to main during approach, it may be that I accidentally set lever 1 to off. Good to know I shouldn't touch the levers.

Best,

Peter

5 hours ago, Litmoose said:

The "update" is a complete new installer, so un-install first v1.00 and install v1.02, if you have additional liveries keep that cfg file.

55 minutes ago, Jean-Claude said:

The "update" is a complete new installer, so un-install first v1.00 and install v1.02, if you have additional liveries keep that cfg file.

Also you will want to backup or temporarily move your add-on livery folders as well (texture.aircanada, for example).   The 1.02 installer will delete the entire DC-8 folder.  Luckily I still had the liveries in my downloads dir and was able to quickly reinstall them all.

Flying this aircraft is really interesting, and 64-bit P3D needs this type of aircraft (a classic jet).  It is satisfying programming INS waypoints, having it follow said waypoints, and then actually ending up at (or near) your destination.  The INS drift is neat also -- it's there and is an issue as the hours go by, unless you overfly a known point and can recalibrate it.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

It is the DC-8-50 with an MTOW of 325,000 lbs. There are detailed performance charts included to determine cruise level, speed, takeoff speed, and power settings. And you actually have to use these charts. Currently one of my favorite models.

Peter