Sign in to follow this  
Ashatsea

RW Inflight Long Haul Question

4 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Spent a lot of time up on R220 especially in the winter?

No, not really. Only may be less than 5 times total so far in the last few years. For whatever reasons our airline flight planning software seem to favour R580 / R591 etc which runs parallel to R220 to the east. Because I don't fly 747, normally we use R580 to fly up to ANC then transition to NAC 20 (~or something similar) going southbound towards YYZ/EWR/JFK. 

Since I alway try to avoid flying to the east coast due to the extremely long flying time. Much of my pacific crossing experience comes from the PASCOT routes which take us literally from abeam Tokyo (one of those OTR airways ends with waypoints like ADNAP/EMRON) directly across to SFO/LAX following the jet stream which means spending 8 hour bouncing around with seat belt sign on 🤣 

Edited by Driverab330

8 hours ago, Driverab330 said:

spending 8 hour bouncing around with seat belt sign on 🤣 

In the 320Cs the A/P would struggle sometimes to keep up so it could be 8 hours of manual flying. The -30s with GEs was much more better. 🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

In the 320Cs the A/P would struggle sometimes to keep up so it could be 8 hours of manual flying. The -30s with GEs was much more better. 🙂

Is 320C  you mentioned one of the 707 series? 

The 777 AP seems to hold up quite well. Except in one occasion over central China, I was bouncing in CAT on my way to Amsterdam 

ATC gave us a Direct to cut a corner and LNAV commanded 20deg AOB turn which almost trigger the stick shaker. 

I had to go TRK SEL and limit the AOB to 5 deg in order to smooth out the turn. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Is 320C  you mentioned one of the 707 series? 

The 777 AP seems to hold up quite well. Except in one occasion over central China, I was bouncing in CAT on my way to Amsterdam 

ATC gave us a Direct to cut a corner and LNAV commanded 20deg AOB turn which almost trigger the stick shaker. 

I had to go TRK SEL and limit the AOB to 5 deg in order to smooth out the turn. 

I find that a 12.9” iPad Pro and a Readly subscription works a treat on the Atlantic.

cheers

Jon Bunting 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Hello All,  Having a real world Captain as an acquaintance, I imagine those of you posting as real world crew would be using flight sim mainly as a means of refreshing your knowledge on procedures which do not normally occur in day to day flights i.e. engine failure/fire etc. whereby you would set up incidents in the sim and deal with it accordingly as my acquaintance did making it a bit easier for yourself when using your Company Simulator.  Just a thought.  Richard Welsh

Hello Richard,  Basically yes, I use the simulator to refresh for real sim checks or look at airfields I’ve not been to for a while, practice procedures etc. I must admit it’s very rare for my PMDG 747-400 to leave the circuit or local area, it does sometimes head off towards the ocean, but always has to return due to a (pre planned on my part) technical issue.

However, I’ve been into my flight simming since a young lad in the 80’s with the likes of microprose solo flight etc, so I also use the sim for leisure flying things I can’t / don’t fly in real life, like the A2A GA stuff or fast jets in DCS.

I actually find the simulators offer an opportunity to experience piloting in a very pure form without the distractions and annoyances of real world aviation.

As I said I’ve been flight simming along side the day job for years, although been away for the past 9 years with having a young family.there seems to be more and more real world pilots waking up to flight sims now than when I was last in the hobby. There are still those in the job who snigger at flight sims, but I would like to think that the fellow  real world pilots who post on these forums as simmers are of a similar mindset to myself and enjoy exercising their piloting skills for the pure enjoyment of it. Rather than those who turn their nose up at flight simulators, which are also the ones who tend to add to the annoyances mentioned above😉 Jon Bunting 

Edited by jon b

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 hour ago, jon b said:

Hello Richard,  Basically yes, I use the simulator to refresh for real sim checks or look at airfields I’ve not been to for a while, practice procedures etc. I must admit it’s very rare for my PMDG 747-400 to leave the circuit or local area, it does sometimes head off towards the ocean, but always has to return due to a (pre planned on my part) technical issue.

However, I’ve been into my flight simming since a young lad in the 80’s with the likes of microprose solo flight etc, so I also use the sim for leisure flying things I can’t / don’t fly in real life, like the A2A GA stuff or fast jets in DCS.

I actually find the simulators offer an opportunity to experience piloting in a very pure form without the distractions and annoyances of real world aviation.

As I said I’ve been flight simming along side the day job for years, although been away for the past 9 years with having a young family.there seems to be more and more real world pilots waking up to flight sims now than when I was last in the hobby. There are still those in the job who snigger at flight sims, but I would like to think that the fellow  real world pilots who post on these forums as simmers are of a similar mindset to myself and enjoy exercising their piloting skills for the pure enjoyment of it. Rather than those who turn their nose up at flight simulators, which are also the ones who tend to add to the annoyances mentioned above😉 Jon Bunting 

Yes Jon, same here. Readly + 12.9” iPad Pro is the way to go.

My Pmdg 777 never leaves the more than 20nm from the airports. Likewise I mainly use it to fly circuits, practice the visual aim point as well as trying to become familiar with airports either I have never been to before. Or refresh on some of the visual manoeuvres which I have to do in real life ( the famous and one of my favourite  Carnasie approach into JFK or the LDA 22 into RJTT)

flight sim sim gave me a very good visual picture as to what I expect to see in real life. This is why I sometime will buy scenery add-ons to enhance the overall experience. 

With all due respect to PMDG, the failure simulation especially the airplane flying characteristic on V1 cuts is no where near what I will get in level D sim. Therefore I rarely use it for emergency procedure training.

likewise I started playing Fsim when I first got my computer roughly 20 years ago. And FS98 was my first computer game, it never stop since then, it still the only reason why I still have a conventional desktop computer at home. 

Being a pilot has always been my dream.  Fortunately an opportunity came up after I finish my university study. And here I am having also lucky enough to have flown both the 777 and Wide body Airbus. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/5/2018 at 8:55 AM, richard welsh said:

Hello All,  Having a real world Captain as an acquaintance, I imagine those of you posting as real world crew would be using flight sim mainly as a means of refreshing your knowledge on procedures which do not normally occur in day to day flights i.e. engine failure/fire etc. whereby you would set up incidents in the sim and deal with it accordingly as my acquaintance did making it a bit easier for yourself when using your Company Simulator.  Just a thought.  Richard Welsh

Or, like me, you're retired😉!

Hello Patrick, I was trying to keep that quiet no harm done.   Richard Welsh.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:57 PM, jon b said:

........but I would like to think that the fellow real world pilots who post on these forums as simmers are of a similar mindset to myself and enjoy exercising their piloting skills for the pure enjoyment of it. Rather than those who turn their nose up at flight simulators, which are also the ones who tend to add to the annoyances mentioned above😉 Jon Bunting 

True, but I have a feeling that the majority of real world pilots (especially Training Captains etc) reading this will enjoy exercising their piloting skills for the pure enjoyment of using their own flight simulator - and being pleasantly surprised to find that when they do get airborne they still have all of their engines running!  Come to think of it, maybe today's 64 bit PC simulators with all of their addon knobs, bells and whistles are becoming more life-like than the real thing?!

Bertie   

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, richard welsh said:

those of you posting as real world crew would be using flight sim mainly as a means of refreshing your knowledge on procedures

For me it has always been just a game that I played with my kids and now my grandkids.  What I have enjoyed is watching the advancement of technology from Commodore 64 to P3dv4. Wow.  My real world flying relies on my sense of feel and peripheral vision especially when landing. In the real world I sense and feel the aircraft below me and behind me which I can't get in FS.  But that's OK I still enjoy FS. 🙂

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

15 hours ago, Bluestar said:

In the real world I sense and feel the aircraft below me and behind me which I can't get in FS.  But that's OK I still enjoy FS. 🙂

Ditto.... I'd rather be flying but the time came when the C-414 average burn rate of 38 gal/hr became to much for a retirement budget.  That is much of the reason I push back when someone complains about spending a few bucks on this hobby.  I know there are a lucky few that can afford it but not had having a career in the cockpit I've had to pay or beg for every hour.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 4/24/2018 at 7:44 AM, Driverab330 said:

We will also follow our route very closely when flying over the high ground over Himalayan ranges,  as there are various escape routes applicable to different segments of the route for either engine inop / cabin depressurisation. And these needs to be programmed into RTE2 so when we need them we can activate the route. 

I have been searching for good escape route charts for Tibet and the Himalayas for quite some time now and the only thing I found was really "unprofessional" and lacking greatly in detail. I would be extremely happy if someone could provide me with a link to a such an escape route chart.

Also, I wonder if such escape routes exist for Bolivia?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainLars said:

I have been searching for good escape route charts for Tibet and the Himalayas for quite some time now and the only thing I found was really "unprofessional" and lacking greatly in detail. I would be extremely happy if someone could provide me with a link to a such an escape route chart.

Also, I wonder if such escape routes exist for Bolivia?

Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-15.47.41.png

This is a "common one". This graph depicted the 2nd half of the Y1 route coming in from Almaty and only for depress.

There is another chart which looks very similar to this one for ENG INOP, but it is never limiting at this part of the route going East Bound towards China because the airplane is relatively light. 

• Upvote 1