Sign in to follow this  
Ashatsea

RW Inflight Long Haul Question

42 minutes ago, Driverab330 said:

Almaty

One of the many garden spots located in the "stans." 😉

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I have some Himalayas charts kicking around if anyone wishes to send me a PM with your email (especially Lars).  I too would be interested in South American procedures.

Thanks for sharing your chart, Wing!

I found that one online, apparently someone posted one up already. 

See if I can post the rest of the charts, because I am not quite used to posting pictures in avsim. 

The most critical one nowadays I found is not Y1. 

Y1 isn’t bad because you will have a “break” of super high terrain in the middle of the route. There is plateau of some sort after passing waypoint SADAN. 

Yes, similar charts over South America will be interesting. 

18 hours ago, Driverab330 said:

Screen-Shot-2018-03-26-at-15.47.41.png

This is a "common one". This graph depicted the 2nd half of the Y1 route coming in from Almaty and only for depress.

There is another chart which looks very similar to this one for ENG INOP, but it is never limiting at this part of the route going East Bound towards China because the airplane is relatively light. 

Thank you very much for this one, better than what I had found, for sure. I would be glad if you could find even more charts, of course!

Edited by CaptainLars

Hi chaps, here is a link to a zip file with some useful charts I have collected along the way - some are from the websites I have linked below as well.  Some are not available anymore.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1nqy942qcq6wxc/Escape.zip?dl=0

http://flightservicebureau.org/l888-the-silk-road-airway/

https://flightsimroutes.wordpress.com/

I have also created some of my own procedures for use in western Iran - you can download them at the PFPX forum.

Cheers,
Rudy

PS if anyone finds and can share, or PM any charts for South America, I'd be very interested!

Edited by VHOJT
  • Upvote 1

pGjLAEk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Aw0xn3P_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

GUEGrtW_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

8s5Si2d_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

I took  above pictures when I was coming back from London a long time ago. The first one was taken north of Almaty, and as you can see the terrain sharply rises as we go pass Almaty approach a waypoint called XKC into China. And we were cursing at about FL340 - 360. And you can see how close we were to those hills. 

This is the where Tin Shian ranges located. 

Most of the time, we fly over there at night or in IMC, so people could hardly see anything. 

It can get really bumpy in winter because the jet stream is usually sitting right on the top of those mountain ranges generating lots of mechanical turbulence. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/14/2018 at 3:51 AM, VHOJT said:

I have some Himalayas charts kicking around if anyone wishes to send me a PM with your email (especially Lars).  I too would be interested in South American procedures.

Thanks for sharing your chart, Wing!

let me check if i still have  the old atlas made for 747 classic and S america...

On 5/15/2018 at 2:02 AM, VHOJT said:

Hi chaps, here is a link to a zip file with some useful charts I have collected along the way - some are from the websites I have linked below as well.  Some are not available anymore.

http://flightservicebureau.org/l888-the-silk-road-airway/

https://flightsimroutes.wordpress.com/

I have also created some of my own procedures for use in western Iran - you can download them at the PFPX forum.

Cheers,
Rudy

PS if anyone finds and can share, or PM any charts for South America, I'd be very interested!

Thank you for these interesting links, of which I certainly knew the one with the little simplified map. I am currently not at my home computer and can't open the dropbox file. Let me try it in a few days again and see if I can open it by then.

On 5/15/2018 at 2:02 AM, VHOJT said:

I was able to download your files, very interesting. Especially the ASAP diversion chart. Thank you!

Has anyone tried any of the escapes with a decompression event westbound and before the critical oxygen point, or what about with a 2 engine failure, westbound?

I am thinking of trying my hand using the lucky 8 airway so do you mind  if I use your 747 tactical chart for Himalayas? I’ll plan the decompression on the silk road somewhere before abeam oxy1, then back track, then join b215 (dct hmi) staying above grid mora, then follow the procedure to zbaa or most likely zlll, zlxy or zuuu, whichever gets me down quicker.

What is confusing when contemplating operations near high altitude are the rules relating to supplemental oxygen, specifically, calculating supplemental (passenger) oxygen availability, and even more specifically, providing oxygen to 10% of cabin passengers and crew when cabin altitude is between 10k and 14k (other rules for others might apply for these altitudes and others). To my knowledge there is no way to distribute supplemental passenger oxygen to only 10% cabin passengers and crew. Assuming a full aircraft, everyone who activated flow to their masks during the emergency descent will get it whenever the oxy is set on automatically or manually. Assuming 400 cabin passengers and crew, this will mean 360 masks will be supplied supplemental oxygen unnecessarily (from legal perspective) with associated impact on supplemental oxygen reserves. Any thoughts?

Rudy - I guess this is why you asked the question in the 747 forum about jettison whilst carrying an engine failure?

Edited by Copper.

Brian Nellis

I don’t know what I was smoking when I wrote my post above. It’s all wrong. I don’t know if I could’ve made it any more wrong!

B215 airway is a bit too far to be joining from the lucky 8. So will use the y1/l888 chart instead (although I like the look of the 747 chart better).

And also, yes, you can shutoff passengers to 90% of the cabin.

Basically just disregard everything I said in my previous post 🙂

Love the Photos though!

Edited by Copper.

Brian Nellis