Sign in to follow this  
Cory Collier

747 & 777 - ODD behavior/interactions

Got a rather odd one here for y'all....

So, the other day I had a flight going in the 772LR. I'm at cruise alt, everything is going fine. I fire up World of Warships (and YES I've reached out to them about this, they said "We suggest to communicate with the support dedicated to the game you are having issues with"), and I'm mid-game when all of a sudden I hear "Ten Thousand Feet", which I should NOT be hearing. I switch over (I'd already gotten sunk at that point), and sure enough I'm in a high-speed, steep dive.

LONG story short, for some reason the 747 and 777 end up doing a roller-coaster flight path, which shouldn't be happening as WoWs (PER their tech support), "is designed not to conflict with other applications"; yet, it's messing with the 747, 777, as well as smartCARS (Microsoft .net framework error).

Mouse yoke is NOT on, so I know that's not causing it. I'm NOT using My stick & throttle outside FSX, so I know that ain't the cause. I'm honestly at a loss as this should not be happening. I'm able to stop the roller-coastering if I exit the game. REALLY odd thing is..it does it not only IF I'm in battle, but also IF I'm just sitting there in port (for those who have never played, this is "port" http://prntscr.com/j5h93y and yes, I love My battleships, as you will see...for those familiar with the Navy).

I'm honestly at a loss here. 99% of My flights are long-haul (15+ hrs) - usually KDFW - YSSY & back (744ER) or  KBOS - YBTL & back (772LR) , and the occasional short trip to KSEA from KBOS to put the 772LR into maintenance (every 100 flight hrs).

Thoughts? Ideas? (and spare Me the "don't play the game during your flights" responses as that ain't remotely helpful).

i have to admit....this has Me baffled...

Edited by Cory Collier

Cory,

If this happens ONLY when you are using the other game then not sure what we can do as well. It seems that somehow it is interfering with other applications, as you wrote your Acars is also affected.

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

26 minutes ago, Olympic260 said:

Cory,

If this happens ONLY when you are using the other game then not sure what we can do as well. It seems that somehow it is interfering with other applications, as you wrote your Acars is also affected.

That's what's so confusing. It's ONLY WoWs that affects all this. I've played oh God uhhh we'll just say SEVERAL of the Command & Conquer games (too many to list lol), and there was never any issues. I mean, I'd be playing for hours. I've run out of decent C&C Games to play, as well as maps lol.

I'm sure you're just as baffled as I am. WoWs IS free to play (though spending money IS optional) if you wanna test it out on your end, and see if you have the same results. IF you do...I suggest co-op battles. People can be erm complete a-holes in random (which is why I rarely do random these days. plus they don't QUITE seem to grasp the concept of teamwork in random battles..).

That's about the only thing I can think of to see IF it's just Me that has this problem.  Really strange thing is, it didn't affect the 747 right away. it was only after a few flights...

6 hours ago, Cory Collier said:

Thoughts? Ideas? (and spare Me the "don't play the game during your flights" responses as that ain't remotely helpful).

Get another computer.  I and many others have done just that.  I don't play games but I do spend a lot of time in forums, reading random Wikipedia articles and browse the web plus the second box takes care of PFPX, Navigraph Charts and gives me a handy pdf reader so I can always have a QRH handy.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 hours ago, Cory Collier said:

(and spare Me the "don't play the game during your flights" responses as that ain't remotely helpful)

I mean, for what it's worth, this is about the equivalent of going to a shop and saying "hey, the first few times it was fine, but after the later burnouts, my tires really aren't holding the way they used to." And then telling people in a forum "spare me the commentary on not burning out as that ain't remotely helpful."

It actually is helpful: not burning out (aka, not abusing your processor) will cause the behavior to stop. You're asking a lot of a computer to run a processor intensive sim, on top of a pretty hefty game on top of that. The fact that you're seeing issues really doesn't surprise me at all, and to tell people to not tell you to not do that is...honestly somewhat of an acknowledgment that you kinda acknowledge that you're doing something that most would find unreasonable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

28 minutes ago, downscc said:

Get another computer.  I and many others have done just that.  I don't play games but I do spend a lot of time in forums, reading random Wikipedia articles and browse the web plus the second box takes care of PFPX, Navigraph Charts and gives me a handy pdf reader so I can always have a QRH handy.

Actually, that IS on the "to-do" list...but uh yah...gotta get the ok from the bank first ya know? LOL :) those 0's in front of that . ain't exactly gonna buy a lotta parts.

That's actually ONE reason why I have the monitor I do. 2 HDMI ports , and a VGA port (for anyone who brings Me their pc to fix and isn't fortunate enough to run HDMI or DVI) on the back.  Sadly, self-employment ain't exactly bringing in the money I'd like, though it's pretty much the only option for Me... 

34 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

I mean, for what it's worth, this is about the equivalent of going to a shop and saying "hey, the first few times it was fine, but after the later burnouts, my tires really aren't holding the way they used to." And then telling people in a forum "spare me the commentary on not burning out as that ain't remotely helpful."

It actually is helpful: not burning out (aka, not abusing your processor) will cause the behavior to stop. You're asking a lot of a computer to run a processor intensive sim, on top of a pretty hefty game on top of that. The fact that you're seeing issues really doesn't surprise me at all, and to tell people to not tell you to not do that is...honestly somewhat of an acknowledgment that you kinda acknowledge that you're doing something that most would find unreasonable.

I said that because that's 1) a "no s**t sherlock" statement; and 2) not REMOTELY helpful. I'm looking for specifics.  I've run FSX with PMDG aircraft, and spent MOST of the day playing Command & Conquer Games (don't ask which ones cuz I've played most, Minus C&C Red Alert 3. didn't care for that one), as well as Second Life and neither has caused issues with FSX.

24 minutes ago, Cory Collier said:

1) a "no s**t sherlock" statement

So you've answered your own question before needing to post, then.

24 minutes ago, Cory Collier said:

2) not REMOTELY helpful

It is. It's the literal solution.

25 minutes ago, Cory Collier said:

I'm looking for specifics.

You're overloading your computer. It can't handle it. Stop overloading it.

What are you looking for, exactly? The exact functions being run or the processor loads at which everything breaks?

All programs are not created equally. FSX and P3D are an example. They hammer your processor. If you find another game that hammers your processor, things will get weird, as you're seeing already (see your Point 1 in this case).

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, it could be that Prepar3D and your ships program exercise certain heat-inducing elements that push it to the edge, causing your PC to crash.  Or the chipset is overheating, or memory, or SIMD instructions heating the CPU, video card,  or....any other weakest link in the chain.  But by all means the symptoms point, in my opinion, to a cooling issue.

Download Prime95 and try stress testing your system.  And if it is overclocked, by all means go back to a standard clock.   Prime95 will push a CPU pretty hard, and if you've got a cooling issue with the CPU, it's likely to expose it if you let it run for an hour or so.   But, keep in mind running this program is Kyle's equivalent to doing burnouts in the grocery parking lot!  I used to use this program, along with GIMPS, to find out what a reasonable overclock is.   I don't bother overclocking anymore, there just isn't much peace of mind as every unexpected crash has one wondering if it was due to the overclock.

Good luck, but I bet your virtual passengers would be happier knowing the captain was giving the cockpit instruments his full attention.

Mark Trainer

Yes, just be careful with Prime95 as if there is any sort of cooling issue it can do nasty things.

I would never run two games at the same time.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png