Sign in to follow this  
him225

Vsync without triple buffering and fps

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

I set my monitor 4K to 25hz

p3d vsync on tripple buffer on and unlimited FPS

its at 25 FPS in sim

Hi, That's right. As I said VSync=On in P3D makes the sim aim for 25 - your monitor refresh frequency.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

Hi, That's right. As I said VSync=On in P3D makes the sim aim for 25 - your monitor refresh frequency.

Yes,

but why is it not aiming for 25 when disabling it via ncp?

they both need to be set?

im confused 

Edited by mikeymike

Because it's not got the 25 to refer to.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

I see.. 

thank you.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, SteveW said:

Adding the Triple Buffer does not alter the fps it only enables the next frame drawn to be more accurate according to what the scene will be when it is finally displayed.

What is "the next frame drawn to be more accurate according to what the scene will be when it is finally displayed"? More accurate in what sense? Does it require any noticeable cpu overhead?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

What is "the next frame drawn to be more accurate according to what the scene will be when it is finally displayed"? More accurate in what sense? Does it require any noticeable cpu overhead?

Thanks.

It adds a little more smootness at the cost of a little framerate.

But If you system cannot run the Vsync framerate it will cause extra jittering.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

2 minutes ago, GSalden said:

It adds a little more smootness at the cost of a little framerate.

But If you system cannot run the Vsync framerate it will cause extra jittering.

Indeed, on AS EGLL approach (with ORBX FT England), FPS always sink somewhat below 25 FPS (mon. refresh set @25Hz), so I may see some extra jitters due to tripple buffering?

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Thanks.

Yes since with TB there's more often a free buffer ready to update, less pauses, and there's less deferring of your inputs, sometimes known as antilag.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, B777ER said:

Problem with this is the autogen issue on arrival. I used to have this setup but now set 30fps (29 actually based on @SteveW findings) internally to allow the autogen to load properly at arrival. Still smooth as well. 

True, I also noticed that reducing the internal FPS lock setting to 40 would eliminate the autogen loading issues (but keeping the NVI set to 30 still). Now the CPU usage is much higher, yet with some headroom for most of the time.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

I guys...i have this issue after numerous test with p3d v4.3.

Have a monitor with 30hz or 60hz possibility and use a gtx 1080 gpu on 7700k@5.0ghz with 16 ram on win10 x64 pro.

30hz+lock in sim at 30+tb on and vsync on in sim (no tweak on inspector), and use FFTF at 0.01=FPS stable at 30fps, autogen and ground textures load very very well also with 320fslabs (very impact on performance) but, have a constant microstutter. Same situation, only change fps lock from 30 to 31...sim ultra smooth, but lost autogen during flight. Why this? Have a same problems if set 60hz with 1/2vsync and 30 or 31fps lock...if 30 autogen ok, but costant microstutter, with 31 smooth but lost autogen. Please help!

Gianluca Balloni

Leave out the low FFTF setting since you want a higher FFTF at some stages. Keeping a low FFTF constantly means something's going to be catching up at some stage and maybe in small chunks.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:37 AM, mikeymike said:

Hi Steve 

thanks for the reply,

i am a little confused , lol I’m. Not sharpest tool in the shed.

when I set my monitor 4K to 25hz and the vertical sync is on in ncp

p3d vsync on tripple buffer on and unlimited FPS

its at 25 FPS in sim

when I switch off vertical sync in 

ncp and with same setting in P3d 

my frames are way up to 50

shouldnt P3d vsync work 

sorry if it is a stupid question 

regards

mike

On 10/10/2018 at 2:18 PM, SteveW said:

Steve

I thought his sim should still be attempting to average around 25 fps since he has Vsync still enabled in P3D using a 25Hz monitor setting, why would it climb to 50 fps?

I don't use NCP to enable Vsync, only P3D and my monitor is 30 Hz and my frames bounce around 30 fps.

What am I missing regarding Vsync?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Hi Joe, What's happening is that the 25 doesn't get recognised so the same as if VSync=Off in P3D Display Settings. Apologies if i'm not interpreting you right.

1 hour ago, joepoway said:

I don't use NCP to enable Vsync, only P3D and my monitor is 30 Hz and my frames bounce around 30 fps.

What am I missing regarding Vsync?

Certainly you have it sorted out there OK. That's precisely what it is designed to do. You effectively limit the fps down to the monitor refresh frequency. However you notice I always say 'steer' the fps output and so it's not actually a limit and you see the fps wobble around the monitor frequency.

8 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Hi Joe, What's happening is that the 25 doesn't get recognised so the same as if VSync=Off in P3D Display Settings. Apologies if i'm not interpreting you right.

Hi Steve

I'm still confused as to why Mike's system ran up to 50 fps when he had Vsync enabled in P3D with a 25Hz monitor setting, can it actually bounce that high?

Also if NCP was set to Vsync On would it clip at 30 FPS instead of bouncing higher?

Joe

Edited by joepoway

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2