Sign in to follow this  
tattiebogle

Voxatc Virtual Reality

Hi,

Is there any way to get the Voxatc panel to appear in the VR headset?

Prepar3d V4

Oculus Rift

I know Flyinside can do but is there any other way

Cheers Euan

Edited by tattiebogle
Added extra info

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Someone may be able to suggest an alternative to Flyinside. But I'm going to suggest something different. Put VOXATC in Expert Mode and once enabled, you don't need the panel.

7 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Someone may be able to suggest an alternative to Flyinside. But I'm going to suggest something different. Put VOXATC in Expert Mode and once enabled, you don't need the panel.

Thanks for replying. That's a good idea. Cheers

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

It's not the best idea but if it's total immersion that you want, Expert Mode will provide it. Just make sure that your readbacks match each controller's directive word for word. Your requests can be a bit more flexible as long as they follow standard protocols.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

It's not the best idea but if it's total immersion that you want, Expert Mode will provide it. Just make sure that your readbacks match each controller's directive word for word. Your requests can be a bit more flexible as long as they follow standard protocols.

In addition to following protocols, you must also use the exact P3d name of the airport controller you are speaking with. For example, my real world home airport is West Bend Municiple. Actual pilots refer to it as West Bend. In VoxATC, if you don’t use the full name, Unicom responds, “last aircraft, say again.”  To complicate matters further, VoxATC sometimes (but not always) abbreviates it to “West Bend Mun.” Speech recognition is not clever enough to figure out this abbreviation. I gave this as an example, but there are similar idiosyncrasies with many airports in the sim. These make use of expert mode sometimes frustrating. 

15 minutes ago, Mad_Mac said:

To complicate matters further, VoxATC sometimes (but not always) abbreviates it to “West Bend Mun.

Here's trick that I figured out about airport names in FSX/P3d. Most airport names are abbreviated and if one uses the VOXPop  built-in voices, there is a speech lexicon file that translates those abbreviations into the full words. Unfortunately, this lexicon does not work with either Windows or 3rd party voices. Only the Ivona voices have their own lexicon editor that can be used to turn "mun" into "municipal".

But on to the "trick". It is possible to change the airport name with Airport Design Editor:

https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/247701-how-do-i-change-the-airport-name-or-altitude-1-65

ADE allows the creation of a stub ALT BGL file, which can be used to change both the airport's altitude and name. The stub file is automatically placed in the sim's ../scenery/world/scenery folder. Start with the stock airport. Make sure that the option "Compile Preload BGL" is checked in compile options. In ADE, change the name and the elevation (I just add one foot/meter), save the file, compile  then change the airport elevation back to the original value. Save and compile again. Once one updates the name and the VOXATC Indexer is rerun, VOXATC will use the correct name.

The only further issue is that LM has changed P3d, such that it does not always automatically rebuild the sim's scenery database and indexing with every scenery update. To make P3d recognize the new ALT BGL file, one has to delete the existing indexes and let the sim rebuild them. You will know if this works correctly, because the new airport name will show up in the P3d airport list. Since I already start P3d with a BAT file to change the affinity masks of a few add-ons, it was no additional work to add these line to the BAT file to allow the user to choose whether to delete the indexes or not:

c:
cd "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SceneryIndexes_x64"
del *.*