Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Severe lag spikes, using Process Lasso

Hello,

I've run into a strange issue. I did some changes in CPU core assignment. I'm using Process Lasso. 

This is what I have set up:

• Process Lasso mode: High performance
  • P3D cores: 2-7, high priority
  • All add-ons: 0-1, normal priority

I usually get very good fps on my system (see signature). But after I started using Process Lasso, I get severe lag spikes sometimes. It's mostly random. And by lag spike, I mean the whole computer, meaning that I can't even move the mouse cursor (I can but it's really slow and unresponsive). It goes on for perhaps 30 seconds and then back to normal. 

In Process Lasso, it's represented by the red graph drops, if you are familiar with the SW. The problem is visualised here: https://ibb.co/hHpHu7 There were 2 lag spikes. 

I have no idea where to even begin debugging this, so I'd be grateful for any advice... Thanks very much :)

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

start turning off your addons to see if you can determine which might be affecting your performance.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

2 minutes ago, vgbaron said:

start turning off your addons to see if you can determine which might be affecting your performance.

Vic

Are you sure it's caused by an add-on?

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

Don't use high priority, it will stuck your system (all system services behavior will be problematic) .

Let P3D at normal priority and even low priority, and things will go better, far better.

Patrice.

• Like 1

Patrice Dubois

6 minutes ago, patrice_bambou said:

Don't use high priority, it will stuck your system (all system services behavior will be problematic) .

Let P3D at normal priority and even low priority, and things will go better, far better.

Patrice.

Huh, interesting. Who would have thought? I set it to "Below normal" and it's smooth as silk. Thanks! :) I will test and report if the issue goes on.

Tomáš Pokorný

Hi Thomasso, this is what I call true coincidence!

Tonight I was making a flight with the F1 B200 (GTN750&650) from KBLI to KHQM. I had seen those arrests frequently in the past months, but never so long lasting, similar as you also describe it. I also use Process Lasso for  a long time now and tonight I also observed thast the arrests were simultaneous with the red line coming down in the graph. As the arrests were so pronounced I decided to switch Lasso off and continue flying. To my observations the arrests were much less frequently and also were much shorter in duration (more like stutters). I don't claim yet that the arrests are caused by Lasso, but I will certainly be more critical in using Process Lasso. I am using the freeware version of process Lasso. I am unfortunately not sufficiently skilled into microprecessors and processes to be able to trouble shoot this phenomenon.   

2 minutes ago, jcorstjens said:

Hi Thomasso, this is what I call true coincidence!

Tonight I was making a flight with the F1 B200 (GTN750&650) from KBLI to KHQM. I had seen those arrests frequently in the past months, but never so long lasting, similar as you also describe it. I also use Process Lasso for  a long time now and tonight I also observed thast the arrests were simultaneous with the red line coming down in the graph. As the arrests were so pronounced I decided to switch Lasso off and continue flying. To my observations the arrests were much less frequently and also were much shorter in duration (more like stutters). I don't claim yet that the arrests are caused by Lasso, but I will certainly be more critical in using Process Lasso. I am using the freeware version of process Lasso. I am unfortunately not sufficiently skilled into microprecessors and processes to be able to trouble shoot this phenomenon.   

Hi jcorstjens, check out the advice from Patrice above. It seems that the issue has been solved by that. I suppose you have P3D set to high priority in Process Lasso? It was recommended in some guide. I use the Pro version but essentialy it's the same I believe.

Tomáš Pokorný

Yes Thomasso, I followed the advice, now everything set at "below normal". At this moment almost finalising the return flight and indeed no arrests anymore!

Thank you for bringing this up and Patrice for bringing the solution!

1 minute ago, jcorstjens said:

Yes Thomasso, I followed the advice, now everything set at "below normal". At this moment almost finalising the return flight and indeed no arrests anymore!

Thank you for bringing this up and Patrice for bringing the solution!

Sure, no problem! :) However, I ended up on "Normal" priority. I don't see a reason why P3D should get lower priority than anything else. No spikes either!

Cheers!

Tomáš Pokorný

I love using Process Lasso. What works for me is P3D at Normal and then limit CPU usage for addons.

For example (I do not turn off HT). P3D set up as a highest Bitsum Performance. Active sky can cause process restraints if I limit it's use to say say cores 4-7.Therefore AS16 is set to cores 2-7. TrackIR and LINDA I set to 4-7. Coatul (sp) is set to 6 & 7. The heavier the processor load of the addon, the more cores I give it. Doing this I usually have good results with no process restraints.

On a side note, the common consensus is to leave everything off of core 0 and 1. When I do this for P3D I get great frames, but I risk, occasionally, the scenery not loading and a ton of blurries. So even though having P3D on cores 2-7 or 1-7 yields great FPS results, I'd rather get good visuals as well.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

Use an AM for P3D , batchfiles for Fs addons ( = setting an affinity for an addon at startup ) and leave everything else to PL. That’s how I have it 

Use Search to find out why P3D should not be controlled by PL....

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I have been using Process Lasso for a few years and when P3D v4 came out contacted the developer asking his advice on what settings in his opinion I should use for the sim. His reply was that to just use default settings. I have to admit I was surprised by his advice but to date all is running well and haven't had any issues issues. For what is worth.

8 hours ago, GSalden said:

Use an AM for P3D , batchfiles for Fs addons ( = setting an affinity for an addon at startup ) and leave everything else to PL. That’s how I have it 

Use Search to find out why P3D should not be controlled by PL....

Dear Gerard, could you please elaborate a Little bit how you set an affinity via batchfile for an addon? I finally found a good AF for my P3D by keeping it off from cores 0 and 1 and it would be nice to have Active Sky limited to those two cores only. Thanks in advance...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 hours ago, AnkH said:

Dear Gerard, could you please elaborate a Little bit how you set an affinity via batchfile for an addon? I finally found a good AF for my P3D by keeping it off from cores 0 and 1 and it would be nice to have Active Sky limited to those two cores only. Thanks in advance...

Written by SteveW :

http://www.codelegend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=632

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I actually recommend removing the CPU affinity settings in Process Lasso. Process Lasso is built to balance everything across all cores, and I found when I removed all the affinity settings and just let PL do its thing it worked a lot better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1