Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

P3D not loading scenery after a while

Hello, lately I've been having this issue...

Once I'm arborne for maybe an hour, the scenery kind of stops loading, see here: https://ibb.co/mw1dMn

When I reload it (say that I change mesh resolution, so it has to reload the whole thing), it's back to normal, see here: https://ibb.co/iyh2gn

But after a few minutes, it's like this again: https://ibb.co/mHck1n

What could possible be causing it? I had a discussion here about Process Lasso and that it might cause sim to not load terrain or something like that. Could that be it?

Thanks very much.

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

It may be that with only 8GB of system RAM you're hitting the page file so often that the scenery is loading too slowly to show properly. You really need 16GB of RAM for P3D. It's not uncommon for P3D alone to use more than 8GB..........Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Just now, W2DR said:

It may be that with only 8GB of system RAM you're hitting the page file so often that the scenery is loading too slowly to show properly. You really need 16GB of RAM for P3D. It's not uncommon for P3D alone to use more than 8GB..........Doug

Yeah, been hearing this a lot, haha :) My GPU and CPU must be laughing at that RAM so hard though :) I may invest later this year. 

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

I've had this happen in two situations (32GB memory and 1080Ti SLI), first being the use of an affinity mask.  Remove the affinity mask and problem goes away.  Second situation is when flying at increased simulation rates (above x4) for prolonged time, solution is slow down or use refresh scenery (assignable command in the key command list) to accomplish the same thing as changing display settings to force a refresh.  Not every computer is the same, but it's something than you can run into when pushing the limits.

Dan Downs KCRP

39 minutes ago, downscc said:

I've had this happen in two situations (32GB memory and 1080Ti SLI), first being the use of an affinity mask.  Remove the affinity mask and problem goes away. 

Actually I would say find the faulty addon and the problem goes away:

If you used a responsible AM setup, then I must suspect you had other things that you could have changed at the same time that resolved your problems or have a problematic addon.

While I agree a goofy AM might slow a system down - even by a lot -  it will not put a stop to it or cause any malfunctions in itself.

Let's look at it closer and test the theory:

All programs run the same irrespective of core count and AM.

Just to be sure running P3D with an AM=3 which is two LPs of core zero. Took more time to load the scenario than usual. The sim is running at 60+fps too! One measly core with the goofiest of affinity masks.

Stock P3Dv4 and moony no issues with AM=3 other than extended load times.

That's why it's not an indication of quality to compare fps.

However, extending the time to start the simulator can affect addons that cannot cope with such long startup times waiting for it - look to those items, they might go wrong at any time.

I can show that some addons do actually go wrong when the simulator takes a very long time to start.

P3D and FSX are OK.

The problem the OP experienced could be any kind of addon holding up proceedings when encountered or come up on during the flight.

In short:

AMs are not the work of the Devil, they are not the spells of witches. They are an essential part of multicore and Hyperthreading. It's a mistake to write off their usefulness in a way that causes suspicion and doubt. They are even useful in detecting problems. Ignoring is not an option in the professional field and I see no reason for any experienced User to ignore them.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

31 minutes ago, SteveW said:

AMs are not the work of the Devil, they are not the spells of witches.

We've often disagreed but lets keep it professional if you will. thank you.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 minute ago, downscc said:

We've often disagreed but lets keep it professional if you will. thank you.

Nothing wrong with what I said - AM and HT are mis-represented. Your post is wrong to blame AMs per-se.

Again - the AM is not responsible for your woes but I must repeat: What it can do is reveal issues not cause them.

I would like to add that in my opinion it would be far more 'professional' to take into consideration that proffering any kind of odd remarks about AMs causing problems is shaving credibility from the technology and causing a lot of confusion. It also makes it harder work for the professionals to explain.

Edited by SteveW

Dan,

In my defence I scanned through the site rules - nowhere does it say professionals are not allowed to occasionally sprinkle their forum posts with light hearted mannerisms or poke fun at common misconceptions! Unprofessional it is not. However, you'll see none of that in my professional documentation of course.

Best regards

Steve

33 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Dan,

In my defence I scanned through the site rules - nowhere does it say professionals are not allowed to occasionally sprinkle their forum posts with light hearted mannerisms or poke fun at common misconceptions! Unprofessional it is not. However, you'll see none of that in my professional documentation of course.

Best regards

Steve

I think it's safe to assume from Steve's unparalleled knowledge of affinity masks, amply demonstrated in this forum over many threads, that he knows what he's talking about.  Even if I don't always understand it at first, I take all of Steve's advice very very seriously, as I have no doubt what he says has a basis in fact!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Dan,

Best regards

Steve

+1 steve is the guru and i think he told that am thing allready 100 times.

so a liitle sarcasm is allowed i think :-)

• Like 1

sfo_a320.png

C. W. ,Ryzen 9 5950X @H2O , 32 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz CL15 , Corsair MP600 Pro Watercooled 2 TB for P3D, Samsung SSD980 1 TB for Addons and Crucial MMX500,  Red Devil Ultimate 6900 XT

I didn't mean for start such a discussion :-) 

Steve, what steps would you recommend that I should make in order for this to stop happening?

Tomáš Pokorný

8 hours ago, Thomasso said:

I didn't mean for start such a discussion :-) 

Steve, what steps would you recommend that I should make in order for this to stop happening?

Hi Tomáš,

Not doing that in the stock sim with stock aircraft.

First simplify your setup.

Do not use PL to force affinity on apps that handle their own affinity like P3D.

Do not change priority of the sim or anything related to the sim. Could be a prioritisation making the sim wait on a process reduced in priority. If we 'raise' the priority of something that only *reduces* priority on other things.

Use AM=253 with HT enabled should pull in as much data as your rig can handle and keep the flow going. No AM with HT disabled.

Still problems: Start with stock scenery, add your layers back. Start with dll.xml renamed to dll.xml.sav something like that. Same for exe.xml. Add those back in.

Regards

Steve

Isn't this a classic case of blurries? I'd start by a) limiting FPS internally, then, if necessary, b) lowering settings.

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

36 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Hi Tomáš,

Not doing that in the stock sim with stock aircraft.

First simplify your setup.

Do not use PL to force affinity on apps that handle their own affinity like P3D.

Do not change priority of the sim or anything related to the sim. Could be a prioritisation making the sim wait on a process reduced in priority. If we 'raise' the priority of something that only *reduces* priority on other things.

Use AM=253 with HT enabled should pull in as much data as your rig can handle and keep the flow going. No AM with HT disabled.

Still problems: Start with stock scenery, add your layers back. Start with dll.xml renamed to dll.xml.sav something like that. Same for exe.xml. Add those back in.

Regards

Steve

Dear Steve,

I have a i7-6700k running at 4.5 with HT OFF. I would like to try the same procedure mention above but which would be my AM=? to start with and enable HT?

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU