Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Southwest Accident

Just read about this:

AAvZCWh.img?h=373&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

Very sad, but apparently the passengers stepped up to try and save her.  There supposed to be a debris shield around the engine to help prevent something like this ... I know when I was auto racing, one of the many safety regulations is a "shatter shield" (has to be a very specific size, thickness, material, and location) between me and the clutch housing ... it saved me from injury from an incorrectly installed clutch that came apart on me one practice session. 

I've always wondered how or if aircraft engines had a similar shielding ... I assumed they didn't because of the additional weight required to stop metal rotating at such high speeds.  But apparently they do have shields but perhaps not of sufficient thickness to prevent debris shattering?

I thought 737's had vibration sensors for each engine so I would think anything starting to come apart would have triggered those sensors?  Can't imagine at 32,200 ft it ingested anything that would cause this? 

Cheers, Rob.

The lack of a band of shrapnel damage on the fuselage in the same plane as the obvious damage to the compressor section suggests to me that the containment ring largely did its job here.

The diagonal stripe of removed paint traversing the inboard top of the cowl in the picture above suggests to me that something pretty substantial skidded across the top of the engine cowl towards the fuselage/wing root area.

A compressor or turbine wheel failure can occur suddenly, without vibration or warning.  Cracks in the blade structure propagate slowly until they hit a critical length, after which point they propagate very rapidly. 

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Yes it seems to be an extremely unfortunate trajectory, straight through a window, very sad for the victim

Matthew Kane

11 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

Yes it seems to be an extremely unfortunate trajectory, straight through a window, very sad for the victim

To me, these things are like an amusement park ride. Every time your fasten your seatbelt, a fleeting wisp of memory regarding accidents/tragedies flickers for an instant through your mind......

But you'll be ok, right? Airplanes are still the safest form of travel, right?

I can't Imagine the horror/disbelief that must arise when you realize that the odds have come for you, and your plane is in trouble.... :sad:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

These engine problems always remind me of United 232 in 1989 - when the 'flywheel' ? fatigue fracture wasn't found in time. The subsequent damage left the crew with no hydraulics.

I seem to recall that the enquiry report stated that it was due to that inevitable 'human error' - where maintenance didn't pick up the extending fracture in time to prevent the accident.

When seated nearest to an engine in flight, I always think of how many components on the aircraft, and especially engine components - have to work 100% of the time. Makes you think.

Having seen how these fan blades are made/tested, I wonder whether this one might have been discovered prior to the incident, and the metal fatigue could have been seen prior to it occurring..

In a similar vein - what is behind this recent ETOPS ruling on the 787 with RR engines I wonder ?

Regards

Bill

Quite the tragedy and absolutely harrowing experience for all passengers. Phenomenal work by the crew to get them all down safely and while they train alot for engine failures, having the window shatter and aircraft depressurize just added to the complications to deal with let alone a pax nearly sucked out. 

Whats interesting though , is that one of the reports indicates the engine had a safety check in mid April. Who knows to what extent, but if there was metal fatigue, you wonder why it didnt get picked up or any other issue. Thats a catastrophic engine failure not just a failure.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

So very tragic the loss of life for victim and family. Every time there is an aviation tragedy I can't help but consider the attention given aviation tragedy but we seem to accept the tens of thousands lives lost on our highways every year as the cost we pay for a mobile society. If 10%that number were lost in airplanes the media and public would be demanding remedy.

• Upvote 1

Vic green

Atc here:

• Upvote 1

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

What a tragic event, RIP passenger :(

Listening to the ATC, it seems the pilots never declared Mayday or Pan Pan Pan, unless it wasn't captured by the recording above. Same goes for squawk 7700, none of the aviation emergency reporting channels (like Flightradar24's twitter) shown SWA1380 squawking 7700.

Quite unusual imho. Is this a hard requirement by FAA or more kind of "best practice"?

Edited by Woozie

Hi Lars,

I believe it's up to the PIC as the final authority for the safe operation of the aircraft and their needs from ATC...

I can't recall any FAR that stated you must declare an emergency or you must squawk 7700...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Deleted

Edited by JNS

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

Cheers for clarifying Scott!

I assumed that mayday or pan pan pan calls are rather pilots discretion, but i thought 7700 is a requirement to ensure that all controllers that have this AC on their screen are aware of the emergency