Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Southwest Accident

Hi Lars,

LOL - I could most certainly be wrong - just my recollection of the regs - and there are certainly pilots with far more experience than me around here... Have a good day !

:wink:

Regards,
Scott

• Like 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

32 minutes ago, Woozie said:

Cheers for clarifying Scott!

I assumed that mayday or pan pan pan calls are rather pilots discretion, but i thought 7700 is a requirement to ensure that all controllers that have this AC on their screen are aware of the emergency 

Not at all - as far as I know, generally 7700 makes the target flash up through any filters etc (maybe useful in an emergency descent where sectors below may have higher traffic filtered out), but any ATC units that need to know about the emergency will know as the unit handling it will coordinate as necessary. So it depends really on the nature of the emergency and the requirements of the controller - in many cases it can actually be more helpful for ATC to keep you on the discrete code.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skelsey said:

Not at all - as far as I know, generally 7700 makes the target flash up through any filters etc (maybe useful in an emergency descent where sectors below may have higher traffic filtered out), but any ATC units that need to know about the emergency will know as the unit handling it will coordinate as necessary. So it depends really on the nature of the emergency and the requirements of the controller - in many cases it can actually be more helpful for ATC to keep you on the discrete code.

Aaaand another knowledge gap stuffed :) Thanks Simon!

She communicated slowly and calmly so she would not have to repeat herself to the controllers, my hero of the week :cool:

Matthew Kane

13 hours ago, BillCusick said:

In a similar vein - what is behind this recent ETOPS ruling on the 787 with RR engines I wonder ?

Better safe than sorry:

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/dreamliner-inspections-prompt-air-new-zealand-schedule-changes/

It's a biggie for Air NZ as it has resulted in thousands of cancelled and postponed trips for their passengers.

They are not amused:

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/03/07/94979/air-nz

Edited by WingZ
  • Upvote 1