Sign in to follow this  
Thomasso

Severe fps drops while approaching KBOS

Hello,

I flew into FlyTampa Boston Rebooted twice. Once in PMDG 777 from Amsterdam and once in PMDG 747 from Frankfurt. Both times, when I entered the STAR procedure, my fps dropped to around 10-12 and stayed like that till parking and shutting down the sim. Had to use autoland in order not to crash, hehe.

At first, I thought that my settings are just too high, but the strange thing is - if I load a brand new scenario at KBOS, it's very smooth (30 fps). I departed from KBOS back to Europe with no problems what so ever. I expect the second departure to be the same.

It doesn't happen at any other airport (to the best of my knowledge).

Has anyone experienced the same? Thank you :)

Tomáš Pokorný

sign.php?call=160   signature-dark.png

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

I forgot to mention that CPU cores 2 & 3 are at a constant load 100 % (shown in Core Temp).

Tomáš Pokorný

SYSTEM -> CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2027 MHz | RAM: 2x8 GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200 MHz | MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme 4 | SSD: Kingston 256 GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | HDD: Western Digital 1 TB | CPU COOLER: Corsair H115i | CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D | PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold 750W 

EQUIPMENT -> YOKE: Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System + Throttle Quadrant, Saitek X52 | RUDDER PEDALS: Saitek Pedals | CAMERA: TrackIR 5

The Boston area can be a bit heavy on frames with the city being so close to the airport. Some of your settings might be a bit high so with the city in view during the approach (vs. flying away from it) it causes a drop in FPS. I usually get lower performance when flying into big cities as opposed to away.

Also, there’s a big thread on performance at BOS in the FT forums. It may be helpful.

Edited by sfgiants13

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

I also notice that you have only 8 GB of RAM.  Have you considered increasing?

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

I've got 16g and an 11gb 1080ti on a 6700k of to 4.6 and my fps gets slammed around the BOS area. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

FT BOS crushes my system 

Still like the scenery though 

Maybe you're low on ram or video ram

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

hmm, try disabling as much you can in the Control panel for FT. In good weather 25fps is easy with the FSL A320 as long as i control VRAM and traffic 

Thanks Michael Moe 

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Thanks for the tips, I will try to utilize them :-)

Tomáš Pokorný

3 hours ago, FLHXRider said:

I also notice that you have only 8 GB of RAM.  Have you considered increasing?

I get this in every topic where I seek advice :-D . Yes, I know that it's a bottleneck now, and I'm considering it maybe in autumn. :)

Tomáš Pokorný

During a recent KBOS Vatsim event my experience was awful, just before entering the scenery area fps were locked 25, when entering the scenry fps began to reduce and by the time I landed it was like 7fps and had to disconnect because it beacame a slideshow.

Textures 1024 - AA MSAAx2 - Tex filtering x2 - Water detail low - Radius detail High - Tesselation Medium - Mesh 5m - Textures 1m - Scenery complexity Dense - Autogen Draw Distance Medium - Autogen vegetation Normal - Autogen Buildings Normal. - Special effects medium.

Orbx FTX and American Landclass, FlyTampa KBOS, AS P3D 4.2, PMDG 747 - Rex Sky force for sky textures and clouds at 512. Matt Davies latest PTA version and his latest preset. Afterwards I placed PMDG 747 at the airport with clear skies and the max fps were between 19 and 22 fps. Possible that my PC is no longer able to run all the above with reasonable results.

5 minutes ago, ideoplastic said:

During a recent KBOS Vatsim event my experience was awful, just before entering the scenery area fps were locked 25, when entering the scenry fps began to reduce and by the time I landed it was like 7fps and had to disconnect because it beacame a slideshow.

Textures 1024 - AA MSAAx2 - Tex filtering x2 - Water detail low - Radius detail High - Tesselation Medium - Mesh 5m - Textures 1m - Scenery complexity Dense - Autogen Draw Distance Medium - Autogen vegetation Normal - Autogen Buildings Normal. - Special effects medium.

Orbx FTX and American Landclass, FlyTampa KBOS, AS P3D 4.2, PMDG 747 - Rex Sky force for sky textures and clouds at 512. Matt Davies latest PTA version and his latest preset. Afterwards I placed PMDG 747 at the airport with clear skies and the max fps were between 19 and 22 fps. Possible that my PC is no longer able to run all the above with reasonable results.

I had the exact same experience and look at my specs in my signature.

It seems like a very, very, VERY badly optimized scenery. Nothing wrong with your PC :)

Tomáš Pokorný

P3D'er : "Doctor, doctor I experience a severe FPS drop whenever I steer towards KBOS."

Doctor : "Don't steer towards KBOS then..."

(sorry - not helpful but I couldn't resist)

Just now, ganter said:

P3D'er : "Doctor, doctor I experience a severe FPS drop whenever I steer towards KBOS."

Doctor : "Don't steer towards KBOS then..."

(sorry - not helpful but I couldn't resist)

:D Yeah but it's closer to:

Customer: Your product doesn't work for me...

Company: Then don't use it.

:-D

Tomáš Pokorný

1 hour ago, Boeing or not going said:

The loading on approach might be bringing out any bugs or errors in your sode installation.

What kind of bugs would be that? SODE works fine at other airports.

Tomáš Pokorný