Sign in to follow this  
thefrog

Windows 8.1 powering down my controllers

This has been a longstanding issue for me with Win 8.1 and I wondered if anyone on this forum had experienced the same problem and found a solution. It occurs with my USB joystick, Saitek yoke and throttle. I uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the Power Management properties in all the HID's, but then a few days or weeks later, my devices stop functioning mid-flight and I discover that some of them are checked again.

There doesn't seem to be a way of permanently saving the setting.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

If I remember correctly, I think there are only two solutions; upgrading to Win 10 or get a registered version of FSUIPC and set controllers through there.

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

"updating" to Windows 10 is probably the best solution. 

Edited by Jude Bradley

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

When you were in Device Manager, did you also go down the list to USB Controllers > USB Root Hub and do likewise in the Power Management tab?

Chris

Many thanks for all your replies.

Yes I have got FSUIPC and my controllers are set through that.

I went to check the USB Root Hubs just now because I forgot about those this time and yes, some had now got "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" checked - even though I unchecked them originally several weeks ago.

So there doesn't seem to be a way of permanently saving these settings. So I either upgrade to Win10 or check the device settings every few days!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

There is a way to edit the registry and stop this behavior in Windows 8.1 BUT getting to Windows 10 is a better solution.

There are still some controllers/devices that are affected in Windows 10 (Thrustmaster MFD, in my case) but overall, the problem is much resolved.

Here is an article I wrote about editing the registry in Win 8.1. See "USB Device Problem"

https://uchisworld.wordpress.com/2015/10/08/exploring-a-dark-forest/

EDIT: PS read the comments to the article as well

Edited by Henry Street
  • Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, thefrog said:

This has been a longstanding issue for me with Win 8.1 and I wondered if anyone on this forum had experienced the same problem and found a solution. It occurs with my USB joystick, Saitek yoke and throttle. I uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the Power Management properties in all the HID's, but then a few days or weeks later, my devices stop functioning mid-flight and I discover that some of them are checked again.

There doesn't seem to be a way of permanently saving the setting.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

This will fix it:

http://uraster.com/en-us/products/usbenhancedpowermanagerdisabler.aspx