I'm still reeling from the last phone call I was on so I will keep this short.

I Sent my LG 34'' 21:9 Curved display in for Service March 14th. I have been promised a 10 day turnaround. I have called and called, first they said they needed a part. Then they told me the tech hasn't worked on it yet. A full month later and now I got to the bottom of after telling them to cut the crap.

Well, you could see it coming, LG LOST IT. They shipped it to someone not even in my State and its now gone.

After raising hell I now have $1500ish to spend on a new display. What should I get? 

https://www.pcmag.com/review/349921/lg-38uc99-w

Or

https://www.pcmag.com/review/352427/acer-xr382cqk

Or something even better that I am not aware of. @Rob Ainscough

Thanks for letting me vent guys. I paid over $1000 for this 34'' back when it was new. The original display was the 34UC97-S.

Edited by Angelo Cosma

Hi Angelo,

Wow - that seems absurd that you have no recourse with LG...

I'm partial to Samsung myself - but never had to work with them on an issue...

Perhaps report them to the better business bureau - not sure it will help - but I've used them in a consumer dispute before and they were very helpful...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613
  • Like 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

You can get yourself a very nice 55" 4K TV for well under $1500 these days.  That's what I use here, and it's been the best solution I've ever had since I started simming in the early 90s.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

45 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Angelo,

Wow - that seems absurd that you have no recourse with LG...

I'm partial to Samsung myself - but never had to work with them on an issue...

Perhaps report them to the better business bureau - not sure it will help - but I've used them in a consumer dispute before and they were very helpful...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

They offered another similar display, but after being lied to, waiting over a month, and being stuck on a small 1080p screen for so long I asked for a refund. Then I can put all this behind me and purchase a new one now. 

46 minutes ago, w6kd said:

You can get yourself a very nice 55" 4K TV for well under $1500 these days.  That's what I use here, and it's been the best solution I've ever had since I started simming in the early 90s.

Regards

Yeah I thought so, but the 21:9 aspect is really what I am after and the sim pit location cannot support a TV. 

59 minutes ago, Angelo Cosma said:

Yeah I thought so, but the 21:9 aspect is really what I am after and the sim pit location cannot support a TV. 

HI Angelo good luck on the search, check out https://slickdeals.net and if you play other games I would get one with gsync or a faster refresh rate what a waste of time never expected lg to have such horrible costumer service!

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

I've become a true OLED "believer" lately, but I don't think anyone makes an OLED in your desired configuration.

Out of the two options you listed, if you want to use "FreeSync" then you need an AMD card and your signature says you have an nVidia 1080Ti ... so neither would be a good option for nVidia IF you want to use FreeSync.

You might want to go the Asus route with G-sync for your nVidia: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717&ignorebbr=1

Cheers, Rob.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, Rob Ainscough said:

I've become a true OLED "believer" lately, but I don't think anyone makes an OLED in your desired configuration.

Out of the two options you listed, if you want to use "FreeSync" then you need an AMD card and your signature says you have an nVidia 1080Ti ... so neither would be a good option for nVidia IF you want to use FreeSync.

You might want to go the Asus route with G-sync for your nVidia: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236717&ignorebbr=1

Cheers, Rob.

Yes I see that AMD is required for FreeSync, but I'm not too bothered about that. The native refresh rate is 75hz, I usually game at 60fps or less, and thinking 1/2 refesh rate for P3D / X-Plane, is 37.5 fps which my system can hold all day long. I am coming from a 34'' and I really love 21:9 so I would like to keep that size increase. 

That being said, do you think that Acer is a good move? I have also been told to ditch the gimmick HDR as the nit count is too low to matter? 

All current sim platforms use 8bit color so there is not much need for more than that (aka UHD, aka 10bit or 12bit color).

I have 3 Acer monitors, they're Ok, not great, they were about what I expected for the price paid.

But like I said, I've tasted OLED (even with just 8bit color) and there is no going back ... whatever you go decide on, be sure to check the return policy and keep your receipt.

Cheers, Rob.