Sign in to follow this  
1290SASRider

Identifying NAVAIDs not working...?

So since upgrading from the right seat of the 747 to the left seat of the 767 I have got into the habit of listening to the Morse code identifier for whatever NAVAID is relevant on any approach, especially as it is company policy.  When I tune a localizer or VOR within Prepar3D, however, though I am receiving whatever I have tuned I am not able to hear the identifier.

Having just set up the new system and having had non-functioning ILS problems in both FSX:SE on my laptop and P3Dv4 on my soon-to-be-retired older gaming desktop I wanted to ensure that they were functioning in the new installation.  I positioned a default aircraft on the runway centerline (of KMIA runway 9), tuned both the localizer in NAV1 and an adjacent VOR (DHP) in NAV2, centered CDIs to ensure proper sensing and selected the audio on.  Nothing.  No Morse code identifiers for either NAVAID.  Following is a screenshot showing this.

https://imgur.com/a/aga0bcm

Any idea what I may be missing?

Edited by FLHXRider

David Rosenblum

Atlas Air Boeing 767 Captain; previously a Boeing 747-400/-8 First Officer

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

6 hours ago, FLHXRider said:

selected the audio on

I’m not familiar with the aircraft in your screenshot, but have you tried pulling the knob and/or adjusting the volume on the nav side of the radios?

Brian W

KPAE

DHP (113.90) and ILS RW09 (110.90) are working: P3Dv4 stock scenery, Mooney Bravo.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On the radios there is a knob called "Pull Ident"..navaids work OK...

Jorge

Edited by aeronauta

7 hours ago, BrianW said:

I’m not familiar with the aircraft in your screenshot, but have you tried pulling the knob and/or adjusting the volume on the nav side of the radios?

Gents, the aircraft depicted is the Mooney Bravo which is included with P3Dv4.  The picture doesn't show particularly well even when zoomed in that the IDENT knob is pulled but on the audio panel at the top of the radio stack the "NAV1" and "NAV2" buttons are illuminated green.  Pressing them in this installation accomplishes the same thing.  The knob cannot be rotated; it's in or out.  That's the only adjustment.  I attempted it in different aircraft as well with the same result.

This is the LatinVFR KMIA scenery and not the stock.  I wonder if that is a factor.  Both DHP and the localizer are working and giving proper sensing.

Edited by FLHXRider

David Rosenblum

Jetline Gravity GTX | Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard | i7 8700K overclocked to 5 GHz | 32GB 3 GHz Corsair DDR4 SDRAM | 11GB GTX 1080 Ti | 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s HDD | Corsair Hydro H100i v2 Dual Stage Liquid Cooling | 3 Dell S2716DG G-Sync monitors on Jestik Arc stand | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, Throttles and Pedals

Perhaps check through the sounds setup.

12 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Perhaps check through the sounds setup.

Everything is set properly in the 'Sounds' submenu.  I hear all other associated sounds (engine, wind, warnings, etc.)  I chose a different aircraft (the Maule) and airport/runway (KJAX runway 8).  I have the localizer tuned in NAV1 and CRG VOR tuned in NAV2.  CDIs are centered and IDENT buttons pulled.  Still no identifier...

https://imgur.com/a/yVwTMub

David Rosenblum

you have set the correct frequencies?

DHP (113.90) and ILS RW09 (110.90)

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

you have set the correct frequencies?

DHP (113.90) and ILS RW09 (110.90)

Yes.  I know it is hard to see on the first image.  Next time I won't resize it.  But they were set to IBUL (110.9) in NAV1 and DHP (113.9) on NAV2.

David Rosenblum

Sounds like scenery issue perhaps?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Seems so Ed. I was thinking it's a stock install. But the fact is that scenery installed could upset the frequencies.

I have LatinVFR KMIA.  Just loaded my NGX B736 at KMIA rwy 09 and set up ILS 09110.90/087 on NAV1 and DHP 113.9 on NAV2.  Each aircraft is different in detail but basically one selects NAV1 audio then usually has to remove the IDENT filter than normally blocks the tones.  The audio panel in the NGX has a three position rotary that does this.

This caught my attention because if the airport scenery has an ILS defined for a runway with an identifier (I-BUL) then there will be an ident tone generated.  I am not aware of any 'handle' that would allow a designer to inhibit the ID tones, it's not in the SDK and ADE doesn't have such a feature.  Therefore, if you are receiving the ILS as indicated on an OBI/HSI or PFD and you are not hearing the tone then it is because you do not have the audio panel configured correctly.

By the way, LatinVFR as typical for scenery developers did not modify the default navaids that I can tell.  Inspection of their AF file in ADE indicates all stock navaids, and in this case the default configuration still happens to be correct.

Dan Downs KCRP

Try deleting the default flight files, rebuilt when the sim next runs. Then load the Mooney on top of that.

3 hours ago, downscc said:

This caught my attention because if the airport scenery has an ILS defined for a runway with an identifier (I-BUL) then there will be an ident tone generated.  I am not aware of any 'handle' that would allow a designer to inhibit the ID tones, it's not in the SDK and ADE doesn't have such a feature.  Therefore, if you are receiving the ILS as indicated on an OBI/HSI or PFD and you are not hearing the tone then it is because you do not have the audio panel configured correctly.

Feel free to look at either of the panel pictures I linked.  It seemed pretty straightforward.  By either pulling the IDENT knob or pressing the NAV1 or NAV2 switch on the audio the same thing is accomplished.  There don't appear to be any switches or knobs to select a speaker on as you'd find in an aircraft so equipped.  I will position the -400 on the runway and see if I get a different result and advise.

David Rosenblum

19 minutes ago, FLHXRider said:

I will position the -400 on the runway and see if I get a different result and advise.

Lo and behold, the ID worked perfectly for both the localizer and DME.  So it must have something to do with the default aircraft I tried it with.  Good to know...

David Rosenblum