Sign in to follow this  
wyman_hd

How to increase P3D VAS usage over 3000 MB?

I've seen posts about this, and my P3D crashes at 3000 MB of memory.

But, I've seen posts about people who've been able to get over 3000MB.

How do I do this?

I  need to because I love addon scenery, and the FsLabs A320.

As you might know, the FSL A320 loves to eat up alot of VAS.

But, I have 16 GB of RAM and when P3D crashes,  I observe that only 50% of memory is used.

So how can I utilize the other 50%?

As said above, I've seen posts about how their P3D v3.4 gets over  3000MB.

But, again, mine crashes and tops out at 3000MB.

Here's a post about it:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120807

But again, i want OVER 3000 MB.

Also I have found a video, and you can CLEARLY see that the VAS usage is OVER 3000MB on he top right

Edited by Aaron Kim

Prepar3D v3 is a 32 bit program. You're not going to get much more VAS. The max addressable memory space is around 4096mb for 32bit. Because of the operating system overhead an application uses, a 32 bit will never use the theoretical max of 4096mb.

This is especially true if you operating system is also 32 bit. 

Is your OS 32bit or 64 bit?

EDIT I see where you posted essentially the same question in another topic and got essentially the same answer. 

Edited by Henry Street

OS is 64 BIT.

Yes, but he says "4GB addressable space" But, my game tops out at 3GB. 

I want that extra gigabyte!

You'll not likely to get the "extra" VAS. As an app runs for a long period of time, VAS blocks are allocated and freed. Over time the address space becomes fragmented.Thus there are many small free blocks of VAS that accumulate and are too small to be used by the app. These blocks are technically "free" but unusable by the app. This is also why FSUIPC4 used to report both total free VAS and the largest contiguous block of free VAS.

Of the 4gb... 1 gb is reserved for OS.  It's not yours to use.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Aaron, the characters above are just too greedy: "You'll not likely to get the "extra" VAS",  "It's not yours to use" etc. )) Don't listen to them!

Cut back on all your gfx settings, minimize AI to 100, disable most of your FTX VECTOR settings, and you will still have a very satisfying experience with FSL A320X around heavy sceneries like AS/UK2000 EGLL and others. Dont forget to seriously decrease your visibility and cloud layers in AS, use DXT textures. And check those VECTOR settings again, most of them get back after each update. Enjoy!

Cheers,

Edited by Dirk98

2 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

Aaron, the characters above are just too greedy: "You'll not likely to get the "extra" VAS",  "It's not yours to use" etc. ))

Cut back on all your gfx settings, minimize AI to 100, disable most of your FTX VECTOR settings, and you will still have a very satisfying experience with FSL A320X around heavy sceneries like AS/UK2000 EGLL and others. Dont forget to seriously decrease your visibility and cloud layers in AS, use DXT textures. And check those VECTOR settings again, most of them are back after updates. Enjoy!

Cheers,

I do hope you mean that in jest... while doing what you suggest is a good idea, it doesn't increase access to more VAS... it reduces amount of VAS needed.  If we're greedy... you're a snake oil salesman making unsubstantiated claims. LOL :)

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

3 minutes ago, WarpD said:

If we're greedy... you're a snake oil salesman making unsubstantiated claims. LOL :)

You're soo bad in particular! And greedy!!

:)

Edited by Dirk98

8 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

OS is 64 BIT.

Yes, but he says "4GB addressable space" But, my game tops out at 3GB. 

I want that extra gigabyte!

Ahh, yes! And I want to be 20 years younger. Neither is going to happen.

7 hours ago, WarpD said:

Of the 4gb... 1 gb is reserved for OS.  It's not yours to use.

Hey Ed, i'm on P3Dv4 now, but just interested in this - he has 16GB RAM, and 64bit OS. I think that 1GB reserved for OS is only with 32bit OS(i could be wrong). And i'm sure i could use almost all 4GB with FSX. P3Dv3 should also be "Large Address Aware" by default, so i see no reason he could not use all 4GB. The only thing i did with my Windows 7 / 64bit was to increase heap limit, it helps a bit - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947246/you-may-receive-an-out-of-memory-error-message-because-of-the-desktop 

9 hours ago, Aaron Kim said:

But, I have 16 GB of RAM and when P3D crashes,  I observe that only 50% of memory is used.

So how can I utilize the other 50%?

I'm not sure, are you maybe confusing memory(RAM)with VAS? It's not the same thing. How much of your memory is used when P3D crashes? How much VAS? Have you modified your default pagefile? Which OS do you have?

9 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

You'll not likely to get the "extra" VAS. As an app runs for a long period of time, VAS blocks are allocated and freed. Over time the address space becomes fragmented.Thus there are many small free blocks of VAS that accumulate and are too small to be used by the app. These blocks are technically "free" but unusable by the app. This is also why FSUIPC4 used to report both total free VAS and the largest contiguous block of free VAS.

Private Bytes is equivalent to Pagefile Usage

So that means what counts is the Pages Available. Contiguous free blocks and fragmentation are unimportant.

On the x64 OS the 32bit app can have the large address flag set to access 4GB, however the OS takes up over 1/2GB. On the x86 32bit OS a 3GB limit is met. Without the flag the 32bit app can access 2GB.

Regards

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...Anyone having trouble grasping the idea need only consider that pages are served from a "virtualised address space" (VAS). Consequently a memory demand need only consider the available pages.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

5 hours ago, Henry Street said:

Ahh, yes! And I want to be 20 years younger. Neither is going to happen.

Salty AF.

But, switched to P3D v4 so I guess that's solved...

But I have no addons in v4, and I don't want to buy the A320 again for v4.

Because I bought the A320 recently, so i'm not entitled to a free v4 upgrade.

Edited by Aaron Kim
  • Like 2