Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Ground Handling Woes with Redux

I have been spending a lot of time with this aircraft. I seem to have a lot of problems with keeping this girl under control while trying to taxi. It tends to wonder all over the place. It seems like the more I adjust the worse things get. Brakes seem very touchy to me and the wind of course makes it like I am on ice. Using FSUIPC. Same with takeoff roll. Always fighting the rudders until 30 or 40 kts then things smooth out. Any one else seeing this. Any suggestions?? I am tired of my passengers barfing and whinning on takeoff roll:ohmy:

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

there's an immense amount of torque and that's part of the problem.  It may also be that your calibration is too sensitive.  

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

1 hour ago, Milviz said:

there's an immense amount of torque and that's part of the problem.  It may also be that your calibration is too sensitive.  

Well yea, I thought it was a torque issue too but here is what I found. The FDE also inputs an bunch of P factor which I have been trying to overcome with rudder input and before you know it, the nose takes off to the right and then too much left rudder and the carnival ride starts. The answer seems to be turn down the P Factor a bit in the realism settings and recalibrate your rudder pedals. That simple...Problem solved. I am not saying the FDE is wrong, I think that with my old $5.00 worn out Rudder pedals it is just too much to get sorted out with 100% realism in the P factor. Thanks for your reply. It did make me look at the problem from a different direction. I just put this here in case anyone else was experience similar problems.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/

On 4/21/2018 at 10:38 AM, shivers9 said:

I think that with my old $5.00 worn out Rudder pedals it is just too much to get sorted out with 100% realism in the P factor.

No! Mine are much newer. I occasionally ride from my local Maryland airport to points in North Carolina in a C310 and it is just not as torque sensitive on takeoff roll as modeled with this release. I too find myself gradually compensating from initial left steering pressure to overcome torque, only to experience shift to compensating for right. then back to left!  So I am serpentining until rotation.  That's not happening in my associates 310. I am here speaking on his response to this. I may be setting in the right seat, but the pedals are his only on TO!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I had a similar problem on the take off run, but by simply winding in a bit of right ridder trim, seemed to solve the problem to a great extent.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

12 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Thanks for the post Shivers9 I'm having the same problem, I'll try your fix.

Hope it will help. Let me know how it works for you. I still am messing around with it in hopes of getting it more to my likeing.

Sam

9 hours ago, fppilot said:

No! Mine are much newer. I occasionally ride from my local Maryland airport to points in North Carolina in a C310 and it is just not as torque sensitive on takeoff roll as modeled with this release. I too find myself gradually compensating from initial left steering pressure to overcome torque, only to experience shift to compensating for right. then back to left!  So I am serpentining until rotation.  That's not happening in my associates 310. I am here speaking on his response to this. I may be setting in the right seat, but the pedals are his only on TO!

Thanks for the post. I love this model but makes me feel like a drunken sailor on take off roll. I may have to move the takeoff procedures in the normal check list over to the emergency procedures section.!! LOL I feel so bad when my simulated passengers get sick and cry before I even lift the nosewheel off the runway.

Edited by shivers9

Sam

IT's a strange thing but NO ONE complained with the original FD... and it's exactly the same.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

18 minutes ago, Milviz said:

IT's a strange thing but NO ONE complained with the original FD... and it's exactly the same.

Don't take it wrong. I think this is maybe the best FDE ever of a light twin. We are just trying to figure out how to handle it with our set ups. I don't think Milviz did anything wrong! In fact I am pretty sure that the only problem is that you did too good of a job. This model does not fly on a string like most of the other products. 

Sam

I'm wondering if folks are having trouble because of crosswinds, etc.  Sometimes my take-offs are relatively painless, sometimes not so painless and fighting to keep a descent take-off roll, probably because of the wind at the time.  Just wondering.

• Upvote 1

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

1 hour ago, StewartH said:

I'm wondering if folks are having trouble because of crosswinds, etc.  Sometimes my take-offs are relatively painless, sometimes not so painless and fighting to keep a descent take-off roll, probably because of the wind at the time.  Just wondering.

That is a very good point and 100% on the money. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and we have had a lot of wind over the past couple of weeks. Yesterday it was like 12G22 and was kicking the 310 around on the ground as well as in the air. It is important to remember to set up a no wind situation for doing calibrations and testing. Like I said above this 310 does not fly on a string.

Edit...I should add that about 20 minutes after "sort of" landing back in Pensacola, there was a Tornado warning issued for the area I was flying in. Great fun!!

Edited by shivers9

Sam

Put me in the camp of wondering why some are struggling.  I find holding centerline on takeoff in the 310 no more difficult than most other high-performance GA twins (thinking in particular of the piston and Turbine Dukes here).  I have run-of-the-mill Saitek Pro rudder pedals and really don't have issues unless I'm not paying attention and let myself get behind.  In that case, the plane does what it should do, reminding me that I need to pay attention.

One thing I have noted - since my Saitek throttle quadrants are beginning to wear out and are getting prone to occasional spikes, I'm sometimes getting some brief imbalances between engines on twins when changing power.  The 310 is definitely a handful with asymmetrical thrust on the ground or in the air.  Could this be more of a throttle issue for some users?

Just a thought,

Scott

2 hours ago, tttocs said:

One thing I have noted - since my Saitek throttle quadrants are beginning to wear out and are getting prone to occasional spikes, I'm sometimes getting some brief imbalances between engines on twins when changing power.  The 310 is definitely a handful with asymmetrical thrust on the ground or in the air.  Could this be more of a throttle issue for some users?

I have noticed much the same thing. I am holding out in the hopes that the new yoke and throttles from Honeycomb will hit the market soon and that they are of better quality. Sounds like they are making the final re-tooling and going into production anyday now.

Sam

10 hours ago, Milviz said:

Well on my previous system I had the issue, but I was one of the few with the strange lighting issues which I believe was tied to the landing lights.  That and I was wed to your B55 Baron as it is what years ago I earned my multi-engine and instrument ratings in....

BTW, your Baron is much more compliant on takeoff roll and landing rollout,

10 hours ago, shivers9 said:

Thanks for the post. I love this model but makes me feel like a drunken sailor on take off roll. I may have to move the takeoff procedures in the normal check list over to the emergency procedures section.!! LOL I feel so bad when my simulated passengers get sick and cry before I even lift the nosewheel off the runway.

Oh my!  Its not that bad...  unless perhaps you HAVE been drinking...... LOL

2018-4-11_15-31-44-703-M.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere