Sign in to follow this  
Courtial

Which one to choose?

Hello, I have been a virtual pilot several hears ago with FS & several Airbus/Boeing add-ons, and would like to restart flying... 

I don't know which simulator to choose (P3D, FS, XPlane...):

- I would like to fly liners like A320/330/350 B737/777/787

- What I am most interested in is the avionic in the flight deck and on-board systems (FMS, PFD, ND, EFB (does it exists?), functions like "TERR ON ND", etc)

- I would need a flight planner that would generate the flight plans and import it in the simulator

- Realistic AI flights, with real airlines

- A weather radar

- Virtual ATC

Does a simulator provide all this (I would buy dedicated add-on for each feature of course)?

Many thanks for any help

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! :happy:  One suggestion would be to go to the specific forums for P3D and XPlane and even the FSX/FSX-SE forum and there are many topics that asked the same question as yours.  Many different answers depending on your system, graphics, CPU speed, and the like.

You don't have to post in those forums but there is a lot of good reading in them.

Here is one that's in your backyard as to your question.  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/535339-why-i-cant-decide/

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

many thanks for your answer; feel free to move my question to the appropriate forum of course.

i am not looking for a simulator with wonderful graphical rendering, nice clouds, lights, etc: i am looking for a realistic flightdeck and aeronautical environment

I haven’t buy the pc yet but i will buy a powerful one: cpu power shouldn’t be a problem

31 minutes ago, Courtial said:

many thanks for your answer; feel free to move my question to the appropriate forum of course.

i am not looking for a simulator with wonderful graphical rendering, nice clouds, lights, etc: i am looking for a realistic flightdeck and aeronautical environment

I haven’t buy the pc yet but i will buy a powerful one: cpu power shouldn’t be a problem

No need for moving this post.  Try to avoid the "gaming computers" if you can.  Most are geared toward the graphics rather than the processor.  Most Sims feel the need......the need for speed. Quoting Maverick and Goose!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you haven't decided yet on which computer to get, I would definitely recommend having a look at Jetline Systems. They build and test computers specifically for flight simulators, so when you get the computer, you know it'll run the simulator without issues. It is on the pricy side, but then again, $1,000 is not going to get you a computer that is going to be able to run the simulator with good graphics or performance. The base price of the computer I bought was $2,739 at the time of typing, although with all the upgrades I did, I ended up spending $4,000. Ultimately, it's your choice whether the upgrades are worth spending the money or not, but that's about the price you're looking at.

That being said, the simulator choice is entirely up to you. I certainly wouldn't suggest getting FSX because it's a 32-bit program, so you'll be limited by memory usage. Once you hit that 4GB of VAS usage, you'll get the out of memory error, and FSX will stop working. As for P3D V4 and X-Plane, I'd recommend having a look at the add-ons that are available. I personally run P3D V4 with the PMDG Boeing 747-400, and I like it. Buddy of mine runs X-Plane 11 with the SSG Boeing 747-8, and although the exterior model of the plane is good, the flight deck graphics could have been better, in my opinion. When you compare the flight decks of the PMDG Boeing 747-400 and the SSG Boeing 747-8, the difference is noticeable. For me, I'd stick with the PMDG Boeing 747-400, but that's just down to personal preference. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Many thanks Captain Kevin! Does your B747-400 has a weather radar? Do you use an EFB (even externally to P3D)? Is there a realistic AI traffic when you fly (eg do you cross "American121", "United545", or are there only fictitious airlines)?

Also (I forgot!) Is the 3D cockpit the rule now? If so do you use a kind of "Track IR" hardware? 

Thanks again!

The PMDG Boeing 747-400 does have a weather radar, but in order for it to work, you need to have ActiveSky, which is a separate program. I don't have an EFB, although as far as I'm aware, PMDG will be including it in their upcoming Boeing 747-8, and I think it might be built into the -400 at a later point in time. As for the AI traffic, you'd have to download it from somewhere, but I can't really help you there, as I personally don't use AI traffic. I just don't have time to sit and wait in traffic anymore, given work and all, I'd rather spend that time flying. I also lately have been spending more time on VATSIM, so AI traffic would be useless anyhow. As for the flight deck, nowadays, I won't fly without the 3D cockpit, and I actually don't use Track IR or anything of the sorts. I just use the hat switch on my yoke to pan around.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.