Sign in to follow this  
saywhuut0627

Countering the Shimmering

I've been out of P3D for a while, and am wanting to get back into it.  I've always struggled with the AA/shimmering balancing act.  4x sgss performance hit etc.  What I need your help with is, if I upgrade to a 1440p monitor, would I in theory need less AA to not have the shimmering issue?  If so then I think I'm ready to give it another go.  Currently have 1080p monitor, i5 4670k @ 4.5 ghz, gtx 1070, 16gb ram

Thanks for your input!

Edited by saywhuut0627

Don't know if this would apply to you..... but in my case I can achieve butter performance with no shimmering. I tried many ways to get no stutter, and be able to raise the the aa. See if this works for you.

P3dv4 at full screen

Set the refresh at 30hz in nvidia

Set you max fps to 31 in p3dv4  ..... not 30 as you would think..... worked wonders on my system

test different p3dv4 graphic settings to see what works on your system

My current monitor does not appear to be able to do 30 hz.  Is that unusual?

Edited by Mace

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

48 minutes ago, Mace said:

My current monitor does not appear to be able to do 30 hz.  Is that unusual?

I wouldn't bother trying to follow his advice. As well meaning as it is, the only way to reduce shimmering in any meaningful way while maintaining usable FPS is to turn off dynamic lighting and turn up AA. There's no reason that lowering your refresh rate would change the equation.

The refresh rate tweak is to lock your frame rate via the refresh rate outside the sim to force it to run at 30fps, allowing a stutter free experience because the frames are in sync with the rate at which your monitor refreshes. 30hz/30fps = one frame per refresh etc. Otherwise your screen is refreshing at 60hz and if you’re only getting 42 frames then frames are landing in the middle of refreshes = stutters.

But that’s nothing to do with shimmering which as already stated can only be fixed with anti aliasing. Bear in mind that if you can run a 4k monitor you don’t need so much AA as the pixels themselves are so tiny. 

I have a 6700k @4.8 and a 1080TI which runs 4k nicely without the need for a lot of AA. In fact at night with dynamic lighting I can turn off the AA completely to help keep the sim smooth. It’s not ideal but it’s liveable until LM fix DL. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

I had good luck knocking down (almost all of the) shimmering moving from a 1920 x 1200 monitor to a 1440P.  Additionally, I long ago settled on the following settings:

In the sim I use 4xSSAA.  In Nvidia Inspector I use the following: Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting, Antialiasing - Setting = Application controlled, Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Supersampling.

HTH,

Greg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I had good luck knocking down (almost all of the) shimmering moving from a 1920 x 1200 monitor to a 1440P.  Additionally, I long ago settled on the following settings:

In the sim I use 4xSSAA.  In Nvidia Inspector I use the following: Antialiasing - Mode = Enhance the application setting, Antialiasing - Setting = Application controlled, Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling = 4x Supersampling.

HTH,

Greg

Thanks Greg, I think I'll go for the 1440p route, also for other reasons (photos/g sync for other games/etc).  Which monitor did you end up going with?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

HTH,

Greg

Thanks for this.  I was using 8xMSAA.  Your 4xSSAA is much better to fight shimmering.

FXAA on seems to help even more.  I've heard some people say FXAA really hurts performance.  It may, I will see how my 1080ti handles it.  I'm not running a 4k monitor right now.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

FXAA has very little impact on performance but the downside is it kind of blurs everything together. 

10 hours ago, saywhuut0627 said:

I've been out of P3D for a while, and am wanting to get back into it.  I've always struggled with the AA/shimmering balancing act.  4x sgss performance hit etc.  What I need your help with is, if I upgrade to a 1440p monitor, would I in theory need less AA to not have the shimmering issue?  If so then I think I'm ready to give it another go.  Currently have 1080p monitor, i5 4670k @ 4.5 ghz, gtx 1070, 16gb ram

Thanks for your input!

I have a 1440p monitor. With HDR on, 4xSSAA P3D setting  (or 4xSGSS NI setting) is still needed to avoid shimmering. With HDR off, 8xMSAA (P3D) is good enough.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

12 hours ago, lownslo said:

HTH,

Greg

@lownslo is there a need to set the AA also via the inspector? What is the advantage in doing so?

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

Don't know that there's any real advantage... I make the setting in sim, NVI, and Nvidia Control Panel primarily for organizational purposes.  I can look at either of the three and know what I would see in the registry (which is what matters the most).  Of course, I do the same with other settings as well.  Helps keep my OCD brain happy :biggrin:.

Greg

45 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Don't know that there's any real advantage... I make the setting in sim, NVI, and Nvidia Control Panel primarily for organizational purposes.  I can look at either of the three and know what I would see in the registry (which is what matters the most).  Of course, I do the same with other settings as well.  Helps keep my OCD brain happy :biggrin:.

Greg

Multisampling in Nvidia is the equivalent of MSAA in game

SGSS (super grid sampling) in Nvidia is the equivalent of SSAA in game?

Thanks!

Shom

[Win 10 Pro, i7-9700K, MSI 3080Ti, 4K screen, Crucial 2666 16GB, 2 500GB Samsung EVOs 850/860]

[MSFS 2020 running with Fenix A320, PMDG 737, FSS E-175, Aerosoft CRJ]

[P3D v5.3 HF2 running with ifly 737 Max 8, FSLabs A319/320/321, Feelthere E170/175/190/195 v3, PMDG 737 NGXu ,TFDI 717, Aerosoft CRJ Pro, Majestic Dash 8, CS 757 iii, Feelthere ERJ-145, Fly The Maddog X, QW 787, PMDG 777]

11 hours ago, Nemo said:

I have a 1440p monitor. With HDR on, 4xSSAA P3D setting  (or 4xSGSS NI setting) is still needed to avoid shimmering. With HDR off, 8xMSAA (P3D) is good enough.

Assuming you are using dynamic lighting... how are you not tanking your FPS when using SSAA?