not as smooth why is that?

and for others it works well  

even in dense areas 

any help is appreciated 

thanks 

i an looking to get  a 1080ti kingpin evga 

will that help?

mike

Try locking at 31 fps instead of 30 in p3dv4. That's at 30hz in nvidia settigs. Vsync on.... triple buffer on. Don't know why this works, but makes everything smooth on my system.

Edited by strat919

I played with frame rate lock and decided that although it help specific issues with my 980Ti, it has little effect with 1080Ti SLI so I leave it unlimited.  My assumption is that I let P3D manage the frame rate.

Of course I should add that I am not one that pays much attention to frame rate unless I have an animation issue such as stutters or long frames.

Dan Downs KCRP

10 hours ago, strat919 said:

Try locking at 31 fps instead of 30 in p3dv4. That's at 30hz in nvidia settigs. Vsync on.... triple buffer on. Don't know why this works, but makes everything smooth on my system.

Even in dense areas?

i can’t seem to get it to run smooth that way!

9 hours ago, downscc said:

I played with frame rate lock and decided that although it help specific issues with my 980Ti, it has little effect with 1080Ti SLI so I leave it unlimited.  My assumption is that I let P3D manage the frame rate.

Of course I should add that I am not one that pays much attention to frame rate unless I have an animation issue such as stutters or long frames.

The strange thing I notice is that running 30hz at 4K 

unlimited FPS

vsync on

tripple buffer on

smooth for most part 

then I notice some stutter 

example 

klax thou no cpu spiking and gpus at 65%

dont know why I get the stutter 

if cpu and gpu not stressed

12 hours ago, mikeymike said:

dont know why I get the stutter 

if cpu and gpu not stressed

Simple, it is taking the CPU longer to build the frame, these are called long frames.  They normally appear as a singular stutter, lasting anywhere from one to ten seconds.  Much is written on long frames and ways to mitigate them but no one has eliminated them.  Complex scenery seems to be involved.  There is no activity spiking that you notice for many reasons, first the number you are watching is a very dampened number and might represent an average value but any spikes lasting seconds will probably not appear as significant. Of course the GPU is not involved in long frames.

Also as for 30 or 31 fps being fluid, it is surprisingly true.  I ran at 24 fps frame rate locked for over a year with my 980Ti and it was always fluid except for the scenery induced long frames, and the drop in frame rate due to overcast clouds was minimized.  With the 1080Ti SLI I find better performance without the frame rate lock, so I conclude based on a sample size of one that the more GPU processing power you have the less you need such things as frame rate locks, vsync (I never used it), etc.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

SteveW wrote this about locking the framerate in the P3D:

"Setting an fps lock with the slider control in P3D display settings determines the time between frames. The simulated physics, the location of the plane and scenery is all determined by the fixed time between frames making it accurate. The way it does this is by making the frames ahead of time so that with any hiccups in the flow the next frame is already available to display on time. There are usually three look-ahead frames ready to fill-in where the sim slows down. To be sure there is always enough frames to fill-in when the time comes, there must be adequate performance overhead for the sim to create the extra frames as we fly. Any flutter in the sim flow could deplete the look-ahead frames and when the sim is stressed it has no time to replenish them. Locked is very hard on the sim, we need to see double the desired fps with slider set to Unlimited and VSync=Off before locking at half that."

Indeed, with the framerate locked I see much more activity on the first and second logical processors used by the sim.   They run hotter (especially the first), and the added work they are doing with the framerate locked means overhead lost that could be going other work.

HTH,

Greg

Thanks for the reply guys

i can’t aeem to lock FPS with fluidity

only with unlimited FPS vsync on triple buffer n and 30hz 4k

seems smooth until I reach heavier airports ie klax I get stutter ling frames

thinking of trying Fftf  dynamic 

will that help?

17 hours ago, mikeymike said:

klax I get stutter ling frames

You cannot remove the long frames, this is primarily due to a limitation in how the scenery objects are loaded, especially FSDT scenery because they shove scenery objects through the simconnect pipe but all sceneries with complex or large number of objects.  The issue of long frames is a separate issue from frame rate fluidity and stutter free animation.  Umbreto's post for KORDv2 discusses how their new KORD scenery developed exclusively for P3Dv4 is supposed to solve this problem.

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP

You got a lot of things going on mikeymike-

No one has asked you what your settings are.

On 4/26/2018 at 3:08 PM, newtie said:

You got a lot of things going on mikeymike-

No one has asked you what your settings are.

HI

i have no idea how to add pics here lol

thou settings are reasonable 

and even at low settings

at for example kmsp flightbeam

moat settings unchecked DL etc etc

whike taxing and panning certain areas of airport 

‘Bam’ Stutter then pan away back to 30fps fluid 

I give up.

4 hours ago, mikeymike said:

whike taxing and panning certain areas of airport 

I have found that some sceneries do not play well with Dynamic Reflections slider anywhere above mid-range.

Dan Downs KCRP

On 4/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, downscc said:

I have found that some sceneries do not play well with Dynamic Reflections slider anywhere above mid-range.

On 4/28/2018 at 4:02 PM, downscc said:

Hi

i do not have dynamic reflections enabled

also I have just noticed flying at night I am getting sporadic tile flashes on scenery 

using orbx

i have tried numerous drivers 

deleted shaders P3d cfg etc etc

same ‘****’ 

arghh I am starting to hate P3d

1 hour ago, newtie said:

Try this...

Mark

HI mark

thanks for the info

so I reset everything and set tv at 25hz 4K 49 inch lg

vsync on tripple buffer on 

pretty smooth 

apart from the flashing over lc or perhaps screen tearing never did this before strange.

now I tested with FPS locked 

stutters thou, flashing texture tile  outside of airport are gone

mike