Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

They announced this morning that FSW has been discontinued. No surprise to me actually, DTG was in no way equipped to handle a product as immense as this. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just read on Steam this morning that Flight Sim World will not be a product for sale as of next month. I guess they found out what a monumental task they had to compete with P3D, FSX, and X Plane. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Same old and tired FSX engine, somewhat confusing relationship with 3rd. Party developers, bad reputation from DTG, no VR support, rise of XP11...there are many reasons for this. 

Currently I believe the FS market is saturated in terms of sims. P3D for professionals and students, XP11 for consumers and AF-FS2 for early-adopters. I use all of them, but never touched FSW due to the lack of VR. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I told folks about this when DTG announced they were going to do a flight sim. Spent two years with TrainSim, spending a ton of money to buy bug filled products that were never fixed. Flight Simmers would have never put up for that kind of treatment. No loss to the FS community. 

Hi Bob,

Concur - I have a bunch of posts here on AvSim where I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade - but - I was attempting to temper the undeserved enthusiasm people showed for DTG...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wonder how much DTG paid MS for the rights to the FSX platform? Must have been a large $ value. Not a good investment in hindsight.......

• Like 1

This project was dead from the start. I'm not being negative, just keeping it real. They could not get me to buy it even for $5. IMHO we have too many sims and they all need to improve, especially in the stability department.

• Like 4

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Why doesn't this surprise me at all...

3 minutes ago, J van E said:

Why doesn't this surprise me at all...

Well it does surprise me. Unlike FLIGHT, FSW received a pretty rapturous response, and things seemed on track, at least from the outside.... 

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Maybe I'm naive, but I'm actually surprised. I never really played FSW, but was amazed when they introduced trueSky.

The sim definitely had potential (if you ask me) but personally I didn't really like the business model, which DoveTail Games practices. Given that they obviously had plans with the sim (when you look and view their development diaries) I'm actually surprised, that they throw in the towel like that... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Not surprised. Doomed to fail right from the start. I am sure there are people over there at DTG who really went for it with all their heart but I do think DTG management was mainly out to get some easy money. One more reason for me to stay away from DTG. As far as possible. 

6 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Wonder how much DTG paid MS for the rights to the FSX platform? Must have been a large $ value. Not a good investment in hindsight.......

Maybe DTG will sell the license to Lockheed Martin so that P3D can be offered as a consumer product as well?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mwilk said:

Scott, is there another good option for train simming besides the DTG offering?

Hi Mike,

PM sent...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7