Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

12 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well it does surprise me.

Well... this:

59 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

You should see how DTG is routinely lambasted in the Train Sim community - we've been dealing with them for years - complete lack of attention to detail, physics, and operations - they seldom fix anything - they truly did not inspire confidence when bringing their business model to this side of the fence... I won't miss them...

Regards,
Scott

And this:

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I told folks about this when DTG announced they were going to do a flight sim. Spent two years with TrainSim, spending a ton of money to buy bug filled products that were never fixed. Flight Simmers would have never put up for that kind of treatment. No loss to the FS community. 

+1 to both. So no, I am not surprised. (I also totally missed the 'rapturous response' btw.)

9 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Mike,

PM sent...

Regards,

Scott

If you would be so kind to PM me too... I own some DTG train sims but they aren't installed for (by now) obvious reasons. I'd like another GOOD train sim. (And sorry for going off topic here.)

Edited by Guest

Deleted because of merger duplicating post. 

Edited by bonchie

12 minutes ago, newtie said:

We don't need more.

We need better.

Mark

That's true. A combination of the best features of P3D (e.g. weather and seasons) with X-plane (e.g. , flight modelling, lights) would be a most satisfying simulator...

• Like 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

That's too bad.  There was so much promise here.  The developers and management simply failed in the execution of this and didn't listen to the community.  Did they not learn anything from Microsoft Flight?  The developers asked the community what we wanted in a new sim and many of us responded, but for some bizarre reason they made something extremely limited in scope that didn't have what so many of us specifically asked for.

On a positive note, for me at least, this sort of flightsim Darwinism in action lets me focus on the other sims like P3D, Aerofly, and Xplane instead of wasting time with FSW. 

Dave

Edited by dave2013

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

8 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well... this:

And this:

+1 to both. So no, I am not surprised. (I also totally missed the 'rapturous response' btw.)

If you would be so kind to PM me too... I own some DTG train sims but they aren't installed for (by now) obvious reasons. I'd like another GOOD train sim. (And sorry for going off topic here.)

yeah. Would like a pm as well ;)

Victor Roos

Like I said over a year ago (and got argued down how this was different), you can't go early access without also giving fans a real roadmap and end game to look forward to. Goals and stretch goals met on a timeline are what keep original good will intact. Otherwise the early access with wither and die.

FSW's answer was basically to just trust them and the hardcore believers carried that message while many other original buyers went elsewhere.

Another point I made at release was that they released too soon. There was not enough new there at the start. They blew all their hype way too early. If they'd of waited, things might of been different.

That and of course some of the design and 3PD decisions also hurt them.

Edited by bonchie

35 minutes ago, qqwertzde said:

Maybe DTG will sell the license to Lockheed Martin so that P3D can be offered as a consumer product as well?

Several have mentioned their owning of the license, but I'd almost guarantee that their deal with MS was like when a developer leases the Crysis or Unreal engines.

They probably owed MS for each copy sold vs. paying them millions upfront.

Another thing that makes me think that MS retains the ultimate rights is Dovetail removing FSW from Steam. Even if they stop development, why not keep cashing in while you can? Probably because they can no longer maintain the lease of the license.

Edited by bonchie

Apologies for all of the moving around of this topic.  There were 2 topics going at the same time so I merged them together into one topic and finally got it all into the appropriate place....I hope!  Carry on:blink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Without 3rd party dev support, this was never going to take off.  And no one supported their business model.

• Upvote 2

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Come on guys. This isn't a discussion about Train simulators. Please lets keep this on topic.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Somewhat surprised after all the hype and talk of big things to progress this year and into the future.  On the other hand this was a case of biting of way more then you can chew. Flight simulation has and always will be a monumental project that takes massive resources in time and money, and it seems DTG was bleeding from the start in financing it. As Milviz said, lack of support and enthusiasm from 3rd party also played a big part in its demise. No one wishes failure as this means jobs were lost, but those factors dont bode well for continuing project. Besides how much more can you push ESP when LM has been working on it for years. Its tired and old, and not sure how much more that even LM can push it. P3D and XP are extremely well established and supported by 3rd party which goes a long way to accomplishing goals and having community support. This one is now going into the big dreams , crash burn reality bin along with MS flight. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I have to admit it but I'm disappointed.  I too believed all the hype and activity here by DTG and was looking forward to a new sim. But that is not to be.

I guess it in reality was basically Microsoft Flight 2.0 except Flight was better in my opinion.  Oh well, I guess the reality of the market became evident to their accountants and the axe fell.

The one thing I feel sorry for is the people that invested their efforts and skills in FSW. I hope they are placed in another part of the company and aren't on the job line.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I supported Flight Sim World from the start and I am disappointed to see development end.

There will be much speculation, theories and “I told you so” discussions for the next year.

I do think that flight sim development is a huge undertaking with a small user base compared to other game/sim genres. Dovetail has their hand in several pots and their other recent release, Train Sim World, was met with many critics as well, and has had a hard time converting users from the original train sim.

With all of that said, I think that the team put forth a good effort. I was pleased with their direction and had no problem with the DLC to fund further development. But many others were not happy with the progress or direction.

So we can criticize FSW for what it wasn’t, but the worst news for me is that DTG seemed to be the only DEV in town looking to make big changes on all fronts (default aircraft, sky, missions etc.), and I am mostly disappointed to see that ambition go out the window.

I can’t imagine that the Devs who worked hard are any less disappointed.

So I thank the FSW team (Chris, Aimee, Mr. Hood and the rest) for a hell of a run. I think that your enthusiasm and intentions were spot on. I appreciated your live streams and engagement with the community. The product was fresh with innovative ideas that needed maybe another year or so of Dev time to bring everything together. It is truly unfortunate that things had to end.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I supported Flight Sim World from the start and I am disappointed to see development end.

There will be much speculation, theories and “I told you so” discussions for the next year.

I do think that flight sim development is a huge undertaking with a small user base compared to other game/sim genres. Dovetail has their hand in several pots and their other recent release, Train Sim World, was met with many critics as well, and has had a hard time converting users from the original train sim.

With all of that said, I think that the team put forth a good effort. I was pleased with their direction and had no problem with the DLC to fund further development. But many others were not happy with the progress or direction.

So we can criticize FSW for what it wasn’t, but the worst news for me is that DTG seemed to be the only DEV in town looking to make big changes on all fronts (default aircraft, sky, missions etc.), and I am mostly disappointed to see that ambition go out the window.

I can’t imagine that the Devs who worked hard are any less disappointed.

So I thank the FSW team (Chris, Aimee, Mr. Hood and the rest) for a hell of a run. I think that your enthusiasm and intentions were spot on. I appreciated your live streams and engagement with the community. The product was fresh with innovative ideas that needed maybe another year or so of Dev time to bring everything together. It is truly unfortunate that things had to end.

Just to give you an example of DTG. I bought a new Diesel Engine from them a couple of years ago, right after it was released at around $40+. It didn't work properly from the very beginning. I finally fixed it myself , and guess what, every time Steam would do one of their ( Let's see if anyone has messed with the bug filled programs we sold you checks) , they would overwrite the fix that I had made. I finally gave up and just chalked that $40 up to a lesson on why I should never spend another dime on any DTC product. Next thing I did was delete hundreds and hundreds of dollars of DTG crap off my hardrive and went back to Flight simming. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310