Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

This project was doomed from the start. I hate that a lot of folks probably got a bunch of money sucked out of their pockets. Many folks, myself included, tried to warn people to watch out. Most of us got slapped up side of the head for being negative and just moved on. It is really simple stuff. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is not true. There is a reason that it's taken LM years to get the mess that microsoft dumped on us turned around. For those that say but we need new blood in the hobbie, then help new people get started with P3D or X-Plain. They have to first learn that there are no easy or cheap ways to be in this hobby. It is very rewarding but take some commitment.

• Like 2

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Just to give you an example of DTG. I bought a new Diesel Engine from them a couple of years ago, right after it was released at around $40+. It didn't work properly from the very beginning. I finally fixed it myself , and guess what, every time Steam would do one of their ( Let's see if anyone has messed with the bug filler programs we sold you checks) , they would overwrite the fix that I had made. I finally gave up and just chalked that $40 up to a lesson on why I should never spend another dime on any DTC product. Next thing I did was delete hundreds and hundreds of dollars of DTG crap off my hardrive and went back to Flight simming. 

Please do not hesitate to give us your equivalent experience with FSW. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torium said:

Please do not hesitate to give us your equivalent experience with FSW. 

You have to be joking.....

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Whilst not entirely surprised I am still sad to hear of FSW's demise.

I worry where the next generation of flight simmers will come from; entry barriers for our hobby are higher than ever and Xplane11 is the only current consumer sim (we can discount Aerofly2 for at least the medium term).

It would be great if LM took this opportunity to licence a retail version of P3D but I think that's highly unlikely.

This also reaffirms my belief in making purchase decisions based on the product's current state and entirely ignoring any plans about future functionality; FSW will join software history's list of broken promises.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 minutes ago, shivers9 said:

For those that say but we need new blood in the hobbie, then help new people get started with P3D or X-Plain

It is completely unrealistic. Dovetail made a decent attempt to change this - but you might not support it.

Having once been hopeful that "Flight" would have been a viable positive solution to the FS future, I never opted to invest in "FSW" from the beginning (once bit, twice shy).

I only have one comment, and that does not concern Dovetail: "I regret that this community has had another deadend with FSW because of the disappointment of a number of my friends.

Happily we still have multiple paths forward. Flight simulation looks more positive than ever with P3D, X-Plane and Aerofly.

The future still isn't written yet and open to new and better!

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Like 1

I feel for for those who bought into the hype. It should have been a sign when they cancelled the first sim.

• Like 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Only surprised because it lasted this long. Kinda obvious it would fail.

• Like 1

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Kinda funny, to read all these comments from people, expressing their view, that they "all along knew, that FSW would fail...!". :blink:

It's easy being Monday Morning Quarterback... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Did someone say back then that PMDG was in competition with DTG to get the license from Microsoft? And since PMDG is going to announce something new in the flightsimexpo.... may be?

• Like 1

Ahmet Can

1 minute ago, costamesa said:

Did someone say back then that PMDG was in competition with DTG to get the license from Microsoft? And since PMDG is going to announce something new in the flightsimexpo.... may be?

DTG stops selling FSW May 24, PMDG announcement June 9? Coincident I reckon?

6 minutes ago, costamesa said:

As fas as I recall (nothing written) it was an Aerosoft PMDG consortium bidding (and loosing) for the MS game license at that time.

I cannot imagine any other dev to step in so quickly. After all, the FSW fiasco may have been a lesson for anyone even thinking about a "new" sim.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It is what it is . Spent the day flying in 64 bit DCS..smooth, no stutters, no lock ups, no ooms.. Civilian sims are stuck in a time warp !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ZORAN

7 minutes ago, zmak said:

It is what it is . Spent the day flying in 64 bit DCS..smooth, no stutters, no lock ups, no ooms.. Civilian sims are stuck in a time warp !

Nor bad if you want to fly in one tiny area of the world. Like a whale in a swimming pool.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I'm also disappointed.  Great potential with FSW.  X-Plane seems to be the only entertainment option left.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library