Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Not into shoot em up, kill people, sims. Got my license  in a Cessna 152, flown many commercial sims in military and civilian apps. Today I flew from Ireland to Belgium in a 737. Can't do any of that in DCS world. Get the picture? 

I can do both !

can you?

what has your 152 rating got to do with it LOL. I hold a commercial license but so what?

get the picture?

• Like 1

ZORAN

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

Kinda funny, to read all these comments from people, expressing their view, that they "all along knew, that FSW would fail...!". :blink:

It's easy being Monday Morning Quarterback... 

Nah, I was concerned the week it was released.

I honestly thought they'd made a big mistake with the early access roll out.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:13 PM, bonchie said:

You guys saying it's early access or it's an alpha need to understand that while that means there could be some bug fixes, performance fixes, and possibly a few features added, it does not mean they are going to make major changes at this point. That's very unlikely. 

Once something has hit public Alpha/Beta, the engine is largely set. You aren't going to get a revamped global lighting system, a new flight model, or new landclass/autogen depiction. The things people were hoping would move us forward aren't there.

Those are the kinds of things that would of made this next-gen. The raindrop thing is cool, but it's clearly a gimmick to distract from the sims other large failings and lack of improvement. 

This stacks up as a lesser P3Dv3 but with rain drops and better default ground textures. At the end of the day, we are customers and everyone has a right to express their disappointment. 

And just to further the point (since the edit function won't let me edit my post for some reason), I don't think I've ever seen a legit (i.e. reputable) early access title released without an accompanying road map for what features to expect in the future. That's basically required to garner to the goodwill to purchase your game in it's early, incomplete form.

All this blind faith is silly and shouldn't be necessary. They should tell us what they are planning, point blank. Otherwise, keep your game until it's complete.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:32 AM, bonchie said:

You know what would be really easy? If DTG just put out a roadmap of what they want to do in the future.

Simple. No more speculation, no more blind faith, no more criticism of things they may be indeed working on. And before someone says that's unreasonable, if you play any other games, you know that's absolutely standard fare for an early access release. You let your buyers know what to expect down the road. Even XP11 keeps a blog that has ongoing development news and future goals. There's no reason to keep this stuff secret and by doing so, you build bad faith with your community.

The fact that DTG remain so quiet on what's actually coming doesn't speak well to the certainty of the future feature set. If you think there's some master plan at work, you might be disappointed in a few years.

The only reason you shut down a title like FSW is if the money has run out and the customer base has dried up. My impression is that most of their users grew disillusioned a while ago and gave up on the sim. That seems to be true, otherwise they wouldn't be closing shop. 

Unlike almost every other early access title out there, DTG never could manage to give a clear roadmap with timed, clear goals. Buyers and users never knew what they were actually going to get at the end of development. You can not run an early access title that way and succeed.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2

Unfortunate news, but on the bright side maybe LM could pickup a few of DTG's FSW resources, those DTG resources did:

1. Implemented PBR using the FSX SP2 code base
2. Introduced a nice learning approach for new users to flight
3. Provided an overall clean and nice user interface

Definitely some positives to be pulled from DTG's FSW and I hope they can be leveraged elsewhere.

Cheers, Rob.

11 minutes ago, zmak said:

Its a thrill fighting for your life whilst still needing advanced navigation skills . Way more skill than piloting any civilian aircraft

To each his own. But I am not in this hobby so I can brag about my skills: I am in this hobby to enjoy myself. :wink: I couldn't care less if every flightsimmer out there has more skills than I have. And btw I actually often like the sleepy aspect of my simming: it is one of the reasons I like civil flightssims so much! (Done a LOT of fighter sims in the eighties and nineties,) I have enough stress in my life already LOL

1 minute ago, Anders Bermann said:

Well, congratulations for that revelation!
I guess, there's nothing like self-glorification... :smile:

Well, being right is even better! :tongue:

1 minute ago, J van E said:

To each his own. But I am not in this hobby so I can brag about my skills: I am in this hobby to enjoy myself. :wink: I couldn't care less if every flightsimmer out there has more skills than I have. And btw I actually often like the sleepy aspect of my simming: it is one of the reasons I like civil flightssims so much! (Done a LOT of fighter sims in the eighties and nineties,) I have enough stress in my life already LOL

Well, being right is even better! :tongue:

Not bragging to the community but replying to an ugly comment by one particular poster.

ZORAN

Well its sad for the ppl that were working on it; I hope they will still have jobs. :'(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zmak said:

Not bragging to the community but replying to an ugly comment by one particular poster.

What exactly was 'ugly' about my comment??? Really? 

But if the comment is ill advised, I apologize to @J van E. It was in no way meant to be harmful or otherwise cause offense.

*SIGH*

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

10 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Unfortunate news, but on the bright side maybe LM could pickup a few of DTG's FSW resources, those DTG resources did:

1. Implemented PBR using the FSX SP2 code base
2. Introduced a nice learning approach for new users to flight
3. Provided an overall clean and nice user interface

Definitely some positives to be pulled from DTG's FSW and I hope they can be leveraged elsewhere.

Cheers, Rob.

Why would LM care about any of that though? Do their commercial and government clients need any of that? That’s the only thing that matters.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

What exactly was 'ugly' about my comment??? Really? 

But if the comment is ill advised, I apologize to @J van E. It was in no way meant to be harmful or otherwise cause offense.

*SIGH*

Give it a rest dude . stop derailing

• Upvote 1

ZORAN

4 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

Why would LM care about any of that though? Do their commercial and government clients need any of that? That’s the only thing that matters.

I don't know why people keep playing this game where they pretend LM has made no changes due to the sim community's feedback. The vast majority of new features in P3D4 started as suggestions by civilian simmers on their forums. There's ample evidence at this point that LM does indeed care what simmers think and that they do make changes based on their requests. Commercial and government clients are not the only thing that matters.

Heck, on the topic of interfaces, the current new interface is a result of lots of complaining by simmers, not government clients saying they want spinning airplanes. I'm gonna guess the military wasn't fighting for cloud shadows or dynamic lights either.

Edited by bonchie

1 minute ago, Chapstick said:

Why would LM care about any of that though?

All clients would like to see that, you make commercial/government seem less human or somehow different types of humans?  Just people like you and me.

Cheers, Rob.

1 hour ago, Anders Bermann said:

Well, congratulations for that revelation!
I guess, there's nothing like self-glorification... :smile:

Really?

Jeroen has been a positive and respected member of the flight sim community through thick and thin.

Kind regards,

Edited by SpiritFlyer
Yeah, I said way too much. Sorry for that and I apologize. Going outside to play! :)
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, J van E said:

Well, let me quote myself for once: on May 18, 2017 someone said in a topic about the bad reviews FSW was getting: "P3D or XP11 are the future" and I replied "Or Aerofly FS 2. But well, not FSW, that's for sure." Seems I was right from the start. :cool:

How could you possibly have known it would fail on the day it was released? I genuinely thought FSW was going somewhere new when the trueSKY update was released - that really was exciting in a genre where most updates are usually just bug fixes. Things seemed to be progressing well up to the end of last year then it just seemed to run out of momentum. I'm sad to see it go.

• Like 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

4 minutes ago, zmak said:

Give it a rest dude . stop derailing

Yup, onward and upward! :cool:

9 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

Really?

Jeroen has been a positive and respected member of the flight sim community through thick and thin.

Just who do you think you are?

Chill or take a hike.

Kind regards,

What is wrong with you and this community???

You say something - which was meant as a joke (notice the smiley!) and you get grilled and flamed, like I have offended and insulted the King?! There's really a fine line between plus and minus here, I must say... 

Who do you think YOU are??? This is just ridiculous behavior! Quite honestly I would have thought more of the users in here - especially from someone, who's been around for as long as you! 

I have IN NO WAY offended or otherwise insulted anyone. I made a remark - which was meant as a joke - towards a situation. Maybe you can hide behind your username, and carefree write what you want and act moderator - but to be completely honest, in the current context I think this is too far. 
Also, you have NO right to expel or otherwise suggest/use threats to make someone leave. Personally, I think your comment and behavior does the job quite nicely. Your comment is highly disrespectful, demeaning and only goes to show, how you (apparently) treat other members... 

Now, I'm sick of this, so I'll leave now. Don't worry! You won't hear anymore from me, in this topic. 

Excuse my presence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471