Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

Tony, I said LUA, not EULA. LUA is a programming language.

Barry Friedman

3 minutes ago, fshobby said:

Tony, I said LUA, not EULA. LUA is a programming language.

This wasn't aimed at you, it was another post that was hidden ;-)

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

This wasn't aimed at you, it was another post that was hidden ;-)

Oh sorry. Your post came right after mine so I thought I was getting a finger wag. Nevermind. :blush:

Barry Friedman

18 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

So I thank the FSW team (Chris, Aimee, Mr. Hood and the rest) for a hell of a run. I think that your enthusiasm and intentions were spot on. I appreciated your live streams and engagement with the community. The product was fresh with innovative ideas that needed maybe another year or so of Dev time to bring everything together. It is truly unfortunate that things had to end.

Appreciated, it's been a really interesting journey. I'm personally just sad that FSW didn't make it to the point that SH and the other developers envisioned.

Happy flying! 

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Dovetail Flight Community Manager: Catch me on Twitch

1 hour ago, DTG_Cryss said:

Appreciated, it's been a really interesting journey. I'm personally just sad that FSW didn't make it to the point that SH and the other developers envisioned.

Happy flying! 

Thank you DTG_Cryss, for your enthusiasm and always positive attitude. Wish you and the developers of FSW all the best.
At the same time, I hope that Steve Hood will give us FSW-enthusiasts an honest status report about FSW termination.

Edited by torium

MS Flight was a gorgeous simulator. Beautiful lighting and scenery.

Too bad DTG or LM didn't pick that title up and run with it instead of FSX. 

FSW always looked a bit odd to me.

• Upvote 1

I am so contended with P3D v4.x  I am still on v4.0 did not even update the last two micro updates

I am more upset with Intel not providing us a 7.0Ghx Processor by now. Intel is pretty much dead! That's the only thing that can improve my sim world.

Maybe, Just maybe, P3D can try to improve its night lighting to be as good as XP.... apart from that. what else could P3D do to improve that we cannot get with addons?

Edited by Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hmmmmmm.......

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

2 minutes ago, Manny said:

I am more upset with Intel not providing as a 7.0Ghx Processor by now. Intel is pretty much dead! Thats the only thing that can improve my sim world.

But the world is moving away from single core performance (still a key factor even for P3D v4) and you'd need some sort of cryogenic cooling system to cool a multicore CPU over 6GHz! AMD's processors have even lower clock speeds than Intel which gives an indication of which way the technology is moving.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

But the world is moving away from single core performance (still a key factor even for P3D v4) and you'd need some sort of cryogenic cooling system to cool a multicore CPU over 6GHz! AMD's processors have even lower clock speeds than Intel which gives an indication of which way the technology is moving.

P3D uses multiple cores reasonably well.. compared to what FSX was..  In fact the 6 core processor from Intel actually helps (which I forgot to mention) for terrain and textureloading.

But IMO, Intel not improving their speed has done more damage or been non helpful to our hobby.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

10 minutes ago, Manny said:

P3D uses multiple cores reasonably well.. compared to what FSX was..  In fact the 6 core processor from Intel actually helps (which I forgot to mention) for terrain and textureloading.

But IMO, Intel not improving their speed has done more damage or been non helpful to our hobby.

The fact remains, though, that most of the work is still done on one core. P3D is not a true multi-core program in the way that many modern games are. LM are basically just trying to squeeze the last drops of performance out of what is, at it's core, very old code and it's really holding back the full potential of modern systems.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

The fact remains, though, that most of the work is still done on one core. P3D is not a true multi-core program in the way that many modern games are. LM are basically just trying to squeeze the last drops of performance out of what is, at it's core, very old code and it's really holding back the full potential of modern systems.

I really don't know where to start on all this. First of all, P3d4 spreads the work out among cores as evenly as any other 3D app including XP11. The reasons that core 0 is always loaded near 100% has to do with the need to have controller tasks that synchronize the rest of the threads. This design "flaw" has been discussed here so many times that I'm amazed that it's being brought up again. I'm sure that the core usage could always be improved but that is probably low on the list of what needs modifications.

The whole issue of "old code" is another of the reddest of red herrings that swims in the AVSim river. The vast majority of what determines the performance of 3D app under Windows 10 is Windows itself and its video drivers. No old code there, right? Since none of us here has ever seen a copy of  the FSX, P3d or XP codebase, we have no idea how much is old and new. All we do know is that P3d and FSX share file formats and some shader source ( which of course is compiled depending on the version of the video driver). LM has added plenty features that take advantage of improvements in video card hardware. And more are on the way.

But certain aspects of P3d have hardly been changed since FSX, like the simplistic ATC. But that's more due to LM's partnership/reliance on the commercial 3rd party developer community than just laziness on the part of LM. We are experiencing the same transition from 3rd party freeware to payware with XP. How long has Austin Meyer promised working ATC, realistic weather, changing seasons and AI traffic? Now 3rd party developers have provided decent payware versions of those add-ons. It's the trend, unfortunately an expensive trend.

• Like 3

So much potential lost.  I feel for those at DTG that put their heart into reviving FSX.  At least they still can sell FSX on steam (10+ years old, imagine that).

All of a sudden that $200 flight sim investment I've yet to make seems a lot easier to swallow.  BTW, I never could get into FSW, too many loose ends, though I was really hoping that it would succeed.

Edit:  Ummm, let's move on from the never ending single core use P3D discussion...OK?  This is a FSW topic!

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

All of a sudden that $200 flight sim investment I've yet to make seems a lot easier to swallow.  BTW, I never could get into FSW, too many loose ends, though I was really hoping that it would succeed.

I took the chance and bought most of the addons in the hope that FSW would thrive. That was arguably naive. I can see why many people were reluctant in joining in when there was no complete program.

Despite all my disappointment I nevertheless thank the developpers for their promising work. FSW was better than its reputation.

• Like 2

Best regards,

Christian Kelter