Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

Why is the community beating itself up over this...i don't understand, bad products die all the time, will the community similarly prostrate itself if Araine design fall or Blackbox decide to leave Flight Sim; should we have all bought the Araine B737????

• Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley

This is kind of deja vu to watch, and maybe even a bit comical, as the community echo chamber settles on the cover story, that will with repetition eventually become the one and only "obvious" truth.....

We will of course, find ourselves blameless on all counts. 😻

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

So I'll re-post Chris Trott's statement again, this time with some emphasis on the important points:

"2) DTG's business model on FSW was flawed yes, but much of what was widely "reported" was parroting of lies by one of the people mentioned in my original post. And they were (and are) lies. The misunderstanding of the original addon terms was quickly clarified by DTG very early on, but people latched onto that one person's statement and ignored the repeated attempts by DTG to stress that the original statement wasn't clear enough, what the plan was, and that it was just that - A PLAN. Nothing was ever set in stone."

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

We will of course, find ourselves blameless on all counts. 😻

So how are we to blame?

Ian R Tyldesley

2 minutes ago, A32xx said:

So I'll re-post Chris Trott's statement again, this time with some emphasis on the important points:

"2) DTG's business model on FSW was flawed yes, but much of what was widely "reported" was parroting of lies by one of the people mentioned in my original post. And they were (and are) lies. The misunderstanding of the original addon terms was quickly clarified by DTG very early on, but people latched onto that one person's statement and ignored the repeated attempts by DTG to stress that the original statement wasn't clear enough, what the plan was, and that it was just that - A PLAN. Nothing was ever set in stone."

...and?  It was a plan, the fact that they changed (probably due to bad press) means that they actually did discuss this.  But so what?  Why should PMDG, or anyother company support DTG if they don't want too?  But even if you aren't willing to answer this, Mattijs from Aerosoft, did say that they were going to port the Airbus over to DTG but couldn't because FSW couldn't handle it.

Who is Chris Trott, didn't you say about Froogle that and i quote "why do people listen to these experts", did you actually mean unless they agree with your point of view?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ian R Tyldesley

1 hour ago, vortex681 said:

I often find Froogle's vlogs quite interesting and his comments generally fair but I think his rant on Sunday (29 Apr 18) was very biased and often inaccurate. He states in the video (at around 7 minutes) that DTG had "zero experience in flight simulation", but in a reply to Chris Trott's comments below the video he says "I'm well aware former members of Aces were involved with this project" - zero experience in flight simulation???  At the very least, then, his comments in the video were misleading if not a deliberate lie to make his case.

There may be another way to parse what Froogle said about zero experience.

Whether there were experienced FS programmers in the development team or not, I think he was saying that the DTG management was not experienced with flight sims. And they weren't. It was obvious from day one.

It takes a certain perspective and drive from the top, to create a successful flight sim. Bruce Artwick was an aviation enthusiast before creating SubLogic and the original FS. I think he had a pilot's license, didn't he? Austin Meyer created X-Plane and continues to push it forward, due to his interest in aviation as a GA pilot. Presumably, the top management for P3D has a strong interest in aviation related to Lockheed-Martin's long and illustrious history. I don't know the background of the folks behind AFS2, but it feels to me like a product created by someone with a deep interest in aviation and flight simulation.

At DTG you had people making train sims. They licensed the Steam distribution for FSX as basically a retail shop marketer. If I remember the history right (correct me if I'm wrong), the lead developer for the "new" DTG flight sim started learning about aviation after the Flight School and FSW products were announced. Cart before the horse. 

I think that's what Froogle might have been alluding to, with the comments about a business focus being paramount for DTG. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

47 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

So how are we to blame?

Nah, not going there. Impeding righteous mob is dangerous.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

1 minute ago, HiFlyer said:

Nah, not going there. Blocking lynch mobs is dangerous.

Oh ok, would you allow me to translate that for you, i suspect what you are saying is 'I don't have a good answer'...  "Lynch mob" indeed, talk about hysteria.

Ian R Tyldesley

8 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

Oh ok, would you allow me to translate that for you, i suspect what you are saying is 'I don't have a good answer'...  "Lynch mob" indeed, talk about hysteria.

Think what you want. 

From my side, I just realized I wasn't up for a long, pointless and eventually boring forum fight with the defenders of the "truth" we are in the process of constructing. Makes me tired just thinking about it. (and slightly depressed)

Devons rig

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Think what you want.

Thanks, i do

Ian R Tyldesley

2 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

Thanks, i do

Congratz, so do I. See what I mean? Pointless and boring already.

Peace!

Devons rig

7 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

From my side, I just realized I wasn't up for a long, pointless and eventually boring forum fight with the defenders of the "truth" we are in the process of constructing. Makes me tired just thinking about it. (and slightly depressed)

Ah now, i didn't see this part...  I agree that the discussion is ultimately pointless, the only people who actual know are DTG and i suspect they don't really care what the community thinks.  It will have been about the numbers.

Ian R Tyldesley

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Congratz, so do I. See what I mean? Pointless and boring already.

Peace!

You do of course have the option of not replying or participating, rather than make a post that amounts to saying that you won't reply or participate because you personally find something boring, whilst simultatiously stating that you think that the community is constructing a "truth", for some purpose that entirely eludes me, since it's not the community killing off FSW it's DTG.

I never understood why people have to advertise their non-participation in something, it most be some form of deluded virtue signaling

Ian R Tyldesley

24 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

You do of course have the option of not replying or participating, rather than make a post that amounts to saying that you won't reply or participate because you personally find something boring, whilst simultatiously stating that you think that the community is constructing a "truth", for some purpose that entirely eludes me, since it's not the community killing off FSW it's DTG.

I never understood why people have to advertise their non-participation in something, it most be some form of deluded virtue signaling

Incorrect. I replied, then belatedly remembered history and realized that my reply could only have one conclusion.

Me in front of the keyboard all day writing increasingly pointless and boring point-counterpoints until one of the posters on one side or the got their feelings involved and the mods stepped in.

Last time it happened, I swore to remember the warning signs: so yup, I'm exiting hastily from a train to nowhere. 

The last word is yours, because, yup, I'm out. 😺

Devons rig

2 hours ago, A32xx said:

60 % or not?

spacer.png