Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Farewell FSW

5 hours ago, pracines said:

I'm glad FSW finally died, now developers can focus on the successful flight sim(s).🎉

The dark force incarnated in our flight simulator community.

I agree with bcuoma, To quote the Kelly's Hero movie, "Why all the negative waves Moriarty?".

FSW was bringing new options and features to flight simming even if you didn't like them or they weren't coming fast enough. I just don't understand people's rejoicing at its demise just so they can say "I told you so".

I purchased FSW when it was released from early access to support it even though I knew it still had a long way to go. I didn't fly it much for the same reason that I don't fly X-Plane. There are just some important things missing that FSX/P3D provides. I was surprised to read that DTG management had cancelled FSW as it was just starting to gain more of my interest. Ironically the exact same thing happened with MS Flight. Right after MS released the Alaska terrain I developed some interest in using it more, then MS pulled the plug. It wasn't until later that I learned how much the base simulator had been improved over FSX.

What boggles my mind is that DTG management had the benefit of Microsoft's commercial experience with MS Flight and they appeared to repeat the same business plan and mistakes. If there is any blame to be had it seems to me to rest mostly on DTG's managment's shoulders.

I had the pleasure of talking with Steve Hood, Cryss, and Aimee at the last two FlightSimCon conferences in Hartford and they all shared a lot of passion and pride in the development of FSW. I was looking forward to seeing them again at the FSExpo but I doubt any of them will attend now. I am sorry that their project got pulled from them and wish them the best for their futures.

Perhaps another entity will pick up the code and the developers of FSW and will continue development.

Ted   

• Like 3

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

6 hours ago, pracines said:

I'm glad FSW finally died, now developers can focus on the successful flight sim(s).🎉

We will scatter the FSW ashes on May 24th and hopefully soon forget this DTG venture ever happened.🍕

Just stick to posting on the Steam forum where it's a case of the ig***ant leading the blind.

Edited by chelmo
  • Upvote 1

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, scottb613 said:

Hi Bob,

Concur - I have a bunch of posts here on AvSim where I wasn't trying to rain on anyone's parade - but - I was attempting to temper the undeserved enthusiasm people showed for DTG...

Regards,
Scott

I agree

And even still now that its canceled there are some who continue the fight for FSW....wow. 

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, DJJose said:

I feel for for those who bought into the hype. It should have been a sign when they cancelled the first sim.

Especially when the 2nd sim was very similar. The sign was more like DEFCON 1.... impossible to mistake. 

12 hours ago, pracines said:

We will scatter the FSW ashes on May 24th and hopefully soon forget this DTG venture ever happened.🍕

That's a bit over-the-top isn't it?

I wish they had succeeded, along with anyone and everyone else who tries to renew our late, great flight sim adventure. May others pick up where they left off, or fresh minds and courageous hearts and open wallets try again.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

• Upvote 2

I don't understand all the shots being taken at DTG and FSW.  If you don't like either, then why directly insult fellow members that did?  This is not what Avsim is about.

Notice is given - If you wish to continue with this discussion, then do away with all the sour grapes and negativity.  All the "I told you so's" don't do any good.

This topic is very close to being locked.  Thank you for your cooperation.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

33 minutes ago, SpiritFlyer said:

That's a bit over-the-top isn't it?

I wish they had succeeded, along with anyone and everyone else who tries to renew our late, great flight sim adventure. May others pick up where they left off, or fresh minds and courageous hearts and open wallets try again.

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer (Stephen)

Over the top of what? Its my take on the situation since this DTG attempt all started. Until the day is was cancelled I was willing to give them all the time they needed, but I knew there was no way DTG could keep up the payroll on something as unsuccessful as FSW.

Would you rather have DTG keep promising (but not delivering) for years that they will have the go-to sim? Its much better that FSW dies now (just like MS Flight died quick), so the less informed don't keep getting deceived for years. We knew what PMDG and Aerosoft were saying about the business model, and its so much better if Orbx and Just Flight stop pretending that FSW was able to succeed. Now no 3rd party has to keep spending time and resources for nothing. They can concentrate on P3D and XP. I personally think that AF2 will not last that much longer either, but we'll see. 

To wish something that is impossible (FSW is gone) is useless. Better to let it go and move on.

I agree, in hope of another company or coop will be able to create a much more realistic and complete world/environment for flight simming. They will have to listen to the community, unlike DTG.  

27 minutes ago, pracines said:

I personally think that AF2 will not last that much longer either, but we'll see.

AF2 has been consistently selling more than 1000 units per months at a price of 50$ (now 60$), for the last 2 years. So it's not going anywhere (but in your face).

• Like 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

AF2 has been consistently selling more than 1000 units per months at a price of 50$ (now 60$), for the last 2 years. So it's not going anywhere (but in your face).

Just out of curiosity how did you find those figures? (1000)

ZORAN

5 hours ago, Murmur said:

Heh.. in your face. Not mine yet, but I'm VR-curious. 😉

It will be interesting to see how that market evolves with Laminar's recent push into VR, and with P3D support for VR. AF2 may keep the frame rate advantage for a while, but GPU's won't stop getting faster.

The fact that all four of the current major flight sims (if you include DCS) are already supporting VR, tends to get lost in all these autopsies of FSW. They weren't just late to the game, but didn't have a game plan for VR because they were too busy trying to get the basic platform working.

I'm not saying VR is essential (I haven't bought into it yet), but you can't promote a "next gen" flight sim without covering that user niche, right out of the gate. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hey, pracines..... do me a favour....

¿Por qué no te callas?

Thanks 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What is is about simmers that they end up just like adolescent children flaming each other. 

Guys, it's time to grow up. Remember, it IS only a game!

Play nicely now children, and for goodness sake, keep your little tantrums off a relatively adult forum. 

Moderators, please take action, there are some adults and older folk here. 

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Oh, SHUT is spelt with a single T. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Thread locked. I don't really think there is much more to discuss on this that hasn't already been said

• Upvote 1