Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[23APR18] FSW Closure: We are disappointed, but not surprised...

15 hours ago, downscc said:

How did this turn into yet another XPlane diatribe verses others diatribe?  Also, I consider it an advantage to not be using the Steam channel, and presume the Steam market is a small percentage of flight simulation market so all of the past dozen posts are remarkably irrelevant.

yep  seems  that there is  always  some  one  that some  one  brings  the  xp  plane  into the  equation

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Not just someone I'm afraid

Cheers Henrik K.

IT Student, future ATPL holder, Freight forwarder air cargo and thx to COVID no longer a Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS+ | FS2Crew Beta tester (&Voice Actor) for the FSlabs and UGCX

Sim: Prepar3d V4.5 Rig: CPU R7-5800X | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3000 | GPU: GTX 3080 | TFT: DELL 3840x1600

ugcx_beta_team.png 3ePa8Yp.png

Most of us do invest a lot in a simulation platform (Time, money ...). Werther it is FSX, P3D, XP11 or unfortunately FSW.

The day FSW was announced many of us did already knew not to invest in it. We are active on many forums and from day 1 we could see the signs that how FSW was managed a lot of well known developers were not eager to step in.

We also knew the history of their first attempt so we did hold back, we did see the writings on the wall. No-one here seemed surprised at least.

What I did like about Dovetail was that they brought flightsim to the Steam market. It is in my opinion the best platform to attract new simmers and the more the merrier for all of us.

But  they chose Steam for the wrong reasons.

I feel sorry for the people who invested in FSW. Customers, add-on developers or people at Dovetail working on the actual product. I hope they don't turn their back to our be loving hobby after this joke.

Edited by Morvious
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LelandDuBois said:

So, what was the Papa Tango Fiasco? All the world wonders!

Lee Dubois

I think most info surrounding PT (Papa Tango, i.e Peter Trishma / Ariane) may have been scrubbed off Avsim.  Search google for those terms and see what you find.  This was a good laugh when I read it...https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?15142-Interview-With-Ariane-Design

In fact...I wouldn't be surprised if some of the terms I wrote above to describe what to search for are actually auto-scrub words in Avsim's "Words we don't like so we don't even let our members post them" filtering engine. 🤣

Edited by Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

RSR/PMDG Crew, couldn't agree with you guys more. I already detailed this in another thread, but the basics of FSW's demise in my mind were 1) a failure to understand both the strength and demands of their target audience, and 2) too much of an effort to try and make flight sim appealing to the "gamer" market. They went halvsies between game and simulator and thusly failed to appeal to either market. Plus, as has been noted by you and others in the community, a complete disregard for the established developers and community structure.

I already was wary of DTG because of what they did to train simulator, which was my first love many years ago. MSTS was probably the only truly great train simulator made (TRAINZ was a close second), and what DTG has created in TSW is just nowhere near as enjoyable or easily buildable as that platform was. Tried it for about a month and deleted it off my computer.

But as was also discussed in another thread, I think the future of flight sim is in good hands. Thank you guys for being you. Keep doing your thing.

X-Plane is obviously the way forward in the simming world. Shame about FSW though, choice is always a good thing.

57 minutes ago, Davidrebolton said:

X-Plane is obviously the way forward(IMO) in the simming world. Shame about FSW though, choice is always a good thing.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Very dissapointed.I liked some features like TrueSky and windshield rain
For me the best simulator out there would be a combination of P3D landscape,textures,water,sky,addon products etc with Xplane 11 physics

is this the secret conversion project from pmdg? 😂

While all of us very much wanted to see them succeed in the development effort, it had became clear that Dovetail endeavored to subsume developers like PMDG by killing off established distribution channels, ending existing developer-customer relationships and forcing all developers to become subservient to their own marketplace established using rigid constraints designed to limit competition.

Exactly why I didn't buy it, removed it from my Steam wish list and discouraged people from buying into the sim. Not surprised either.

cu
Roman

Edited by romangeber

13 hours ago, pete_auau said:

Judging by the sheer amount of people swapping then stating the night and day difference I'd say its a fairly accurate assumption.

5 hours ago, Davidrebolton said:

Judging by the sheer amount of people swapping then stating the night and day difference I'd say its a fairly accurate assumption.

as  Dan had mentioned  in a previous  post,   some  how  xp  plane v  other  sims  always  comes  into it,  thought  this  was  about fsw  closure.

Peter kelberg

3 hours ago, pete_auau said:

as  Dan had mentioned  in a previous  post,   some  how  xp  plane v  other  sims  always  comes  into it,  thought  this  was  about fsw  closure.

True, true..... FSW's clouds looked fantastic, plus having Orbx on-board, it was a good start. Shame.